Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Judged by backpacks when you check into 5* hotels/fly F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Judged by backpacks when you check into 5* hotels/fly F?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009, 4:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I used to use a backpack but when I started traveling for business and dressing accordingly I became self concious and thought I looked strange. I now use a briefcase and feel more comfortable. Plus my shirts/suit coats appear less rumpled.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Odd...this same topic popped up in another thread earlier today.

My wife and I love to use backpacks when we travel long enough to need more than a carry-on. It just makes sense: we can cover ground faster with packs than we can with large suitcases.

Our current packs are dark in color and zip up entirely to handle as huge duffel bags. The zipper feature is most helpful at airports - the straps are all completely protected - but it's also how we tend to enter a "non-backpacker" hotel (carrying them as duffel bags).
Old Oct 22, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I use an ebags weekender backpack and never felt self concious about checking into nice hotels.

Worst case what are they going to do anyway even if they looked down on you because of your backpack?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Perhaps you should consider simply hiring a local, who is always two steps behind you, to carry your backpack.

That way, when you are checking in for a flight or at the hotel desk, you can simply summon the fellow by clicking your fingers and exclaiming "pack horse" or some other appropriate moniker, and all will see that although you may use a backpack, you clearly belong amongst the affluent class.
Thanks for the laugh today, been a long one.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by will5404
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I use an ebags weekender backpack and never felt self concious about checking into nice hotels.
I have one of those too! Perhaps not the same one you have...mine works as a backpack or a roller. I got it a few years ago when I amassed forty bucks or so worth of ebags credit from Igougo. It's become one of my favorite bags because it fits on the UX CRJ-700's.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always carry a backpack and usually a wheelie. I really dont try to impress the hotel staff and if I see sneers or hear chuckles about my LL Bean backpack I plan to tell'm its full of money. The OP has too much guilt.

MisterNice
Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Hilton UA Hyatt
Taking it a step further, I always travel with a backpack (and Reebok duffelbag to boot) -- and often times in comfort clothing. I mean, it's a hotel lobby, not a church service -- as long as I have a reservation and money and respect people's space, I feel as if its inconsequential what I wear as long as it's not offensive.

I went to Wimbledon this year, and decided to take a 1 day trip down to Monaco with my travel mates. We went all out on the trip -- helicoptered in from Nice, the whole works. Anyway, there we are arrived at the hotel, having woken up at 4 a.m. to take a 6 am Aer Lingus flight, in backpacks, shorts and tennis shoes. A sorry looking bunch. We're looking for the front desk -- which was not easy to find. We had entered through the side, where the Helicopter van had dropped us off to leave our luggage with the bellman.

After wandering for no more than 60 seconds -- at most 60 seconds-- the guard at the front door came up to us after making a 20 yard perpindicular walk --- we didn't even walk anywhere near him. It took effort and awareness for him to see us. He informed me in French -- mine is lacking, but good enough -- that the hotel was closed to tourists until the evening, and we must leave. After explaining to him that I needed to check in, he was very apologetic, and I started to laugh with him. However, 3 people in their late 20s, in sports clothing and backpacks certainly set off alarms. Just thought I'd relay. Employees notice -- and given my younger age, it does make me feel a bit self-conscious about what the people think of me. Alas, that feeling does not exceed the comfort of relaxed clothing and backpacks over rollerbags.

Again, as long as I respect people's space and am courteous to all employees, I understand their vigilance, but it's a tradeoff I'm willing to take for comfort and not checking bags.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by meester69
I've always been a backpack man, since a case with wheels wasn't much use when travelling through Cambodia or whatever.

Now I have two kids and we still use backpacks. I do feel quite self-conscious checking into a $500/night hotel with them, or even walking into the lobby some times.

Does anyone else feel this? Or when flying J/F?

It's a bit silly in a way, because a 80l backpack is actually more expensive than a generic suitcase, which nobody would look at.

But I guess the association is with 'dirty backpackers' staying in hostels rather than the price of the luggage.

Any thoughts on the backpack vs. suitcase issue?
Never had a problem myself when flying C or checking into 5-star estabs with a backpack. And my backpack is nowt special indistinguishable from a basic one-day hiking backpack. Even checked into the LM Resort in Dahab a couple of times after riding in from the Israeli border on a Honda 1100 carrying a backpack and in stereotypical gear of blue jeans, boots, white tee, and bomber jacket. Planning to make a similar trip from France to the Maria Christina in San Sebastien in the near future.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: American, United
Just two weeks ago, the woman at the Starwood desk at the Lisbon Sheraton could hardly stand to check in me and my backpack. When I saw her again during my stay she refused to make eye contact, much less offer any assistance. I'm a polite, friendly guy and gave her no reason to be discourteous, btw.

I'd previously received some downright offensive behavior while checking into another (3*) Lisbon hotel, however, and so just figured it was standard procedure in that town. Great place, otherwise--too bad about the poor manners.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: CO-Gold
I switched from a roll-around briefcase to a backpack a few years ago when I broke my arm and needed my only free arm to drag my suitcase. I discovered I really liked the freedom that walking around with a backpack gave me. Since I tend to work in places where I might be on ground/grass/dirt, and since I also like to take the stairs at the hotel, I've never gone back to the roll-around.

No hotel or first class cabin has ever given it a second look (that I knew of), but I think it also depends a lot on how you look and conduct yourself in general.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:36 pm

I could care less how my using a backpack is perceived by fellow passengers (sorry!). However, I have noticed that when I use one traveling internationally my odds of getting extra attention from U.S. customs agents increases exponentially. (I guess I look too square to be carrying narcotics, so an agent once asked if I was carrying bearer bonds). Now I leave the backpack at home and use an oversize laptop bag instead.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:53 pm

My wife (late 20s) did a lot of traveling for a former government job and tended to carry a backpack and dress casually when doing short trans-con trips. Never had a problem when checking into nice hotels for what it's worth.

On the other hand, she always had problems with airline ground staff who just couldn't believe she was 100K and tried to block her from using Elite check-in lines or the Red Carpet. Friend of hers about the same age was actually refused service by a ground agent when he tried to check in with a first-class upgrade. Had to call for a manager to sort things out.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by JFKLGA30
Again, as long as I respect people's space and am courteous to all employees, I understand their vigilance, but it's a tradeoff I'm willing to take for comfort and not checking bags.
Absolutely. And if you want to look at it nastily, you could afford to stay there; the staff member has to work there...
Old Oct 23, 2009, 1:19 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
They've actually coined a term for this... 'flashpacker'

My wife and I always travel with backpacks/daypack. And I usually carry hers so I walk into a 5* hotel with three bags slumped over one shoulder. About the only odd looks I get are from the bellhops when I say I don't need any help.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:29 am

A couple of years ago, Mrs Mud and I were visiting China.
We just arrived in Xian airport and took a van to get to the Sofitel in town.

Once our driver dropped us at the entrance, the Sofitel employee came to the driver and started speaking in chinese.
I don't know what he said to the driver but it could have been something like "what kind of bums do you bring us to our luxury property? Are you sure they are going to stay here?"

Of course he did not help us carrying our bags..anyway i don't feel comfortable when someone is trying to carry my bag when i am able to carry it myself.
Mrs Mud and I thought it was more a funny situation than innapropriate behavour.

Last edited by Mynameismud; Oct 25, 2009 at 5:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.