FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   FlightMemory (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/681384-flightmemory.html)

szg Apr 11, 2007 10:37 am

FlightMemory

The www.flugstatistik.de is now available in englisch:

I know, that is not a M&M specific thread, but I have seen the most FTs here using this tool.

The englisch version is available at

http://www.flightmemory.com

alex0683de Apr 11, 2007 12:30 pm

The really good part is that all data seems to have been automatically transferred to the new English service as well, with both services drawing information from the same database.

My http://www.flugstatistik.de login also works on http://www.flightmemory.com, and my flight statistics can be accessed at both http://meine.flugstatistik.de/alex0683de and http://my.flightmemory.com/alex0683de.

Very well done to Robert Heret and his team! ^

P.S. And, of course, Freddie Jr.'s flight map is now available in English at http://my.flightmemory.com/freddiejr

qasr Apr 13, 2007 12:33 pm

Cool! ^

I might start using this, now that I can understand it. ;)

alex0683de Apr 13, 2007 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by qasr (Post 7577048)
Cool! ^

I might start using this, now that I can understand it. ;)

I think that was the idea... :D

trier48 Apr 14, 2007 11:46 pm

Thank you for posting the link to www.flightmemory.com^ ^ Have always wanted to track my flights, seeing that I've kept all my tickets and boarding passes since the age of 12...Am not one to collect, but for some reason have kept all my flight stuff. Have an entire box full of tickets, boarding passes, amenity kits and menus. After 10 hours of transcribing my flight data, came up with the followering;

-Flight Distance in KM: 1,035,488 or 643,422 Miles
-Booking Classes: F-65, C-47, Y-264
-Total flights: 376

I would imagine this figure would appear small along side of the many other Frequent Flyers on this site. All my flights have been for personal reasons, just to travel and see the world. But I was pleasantly surprised having passed the million KM mark...

Again, thanks for posting the link.^ ^

supermasterphil Apr 15, 2007 7:08 am

It's funny to see how much more people use this page now that it is available in English. I talked about it with some friends here and I showed them the basics which they were of course able to translate but now it's much easier.

The only problem is that I guess they were not prepared for the amount of new users resulting in having some server issues ;)

Kiwi Flyer Apr 15, 2007 3:32 pm

This is not a Miles & More or LH topic so moving to Travel Buzz.

Kiwi Flyer
M&M moderator

redbeard911 Apr 15, 2007 7:36 pm

There is another thread that I'm too lazy to look up. I've spent most of my weekend entering my info from 1997-2002. I'm almost through 2003. I'll have to do 2004 and 2005 from memory, unless I can get a printout from UA and F9.

Berto Apr 15, 2007 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by redbeard911 (Post 7587007)
There is another thread that I'm too lazy to look up. I've spent most of my weekend entering my info from 1997-2002. I'm almost through 2003. I'll have to do 2004 and 2005 from memory, unless I can get a printout from UA and F9.

It's actually a few threads below this one. ;)

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666195

The two should probably be merged, but either way the site is a great tool. I dont fly nearly as much as many here do and luckily I had already made an excel spreadsheet way back on a rainy day and entered all that on a similar day back when I was told about the german version.

sadiqhassan Apr 15, 2007 9:30 pm

cool site :)

dimramon Apr 16, 2007 2:39 am

That's a really cool site.
If only I could remember my post 1999 travel...

bau31888 Apr 16, 2007 5:51 am

Don't forget to click from time to time on the googleads on www.flightmemory.com to keep this service running for free ;)

Rand0mized Apr 16, 2007 9:28 am

Awesome site. It is a like a log book for non-pilots.

windwalker Apr 16, 2007 10:15 am

WOW, very cool
Gonna take a LOT of typing to try and get all data on there. I don't see any way to import, is there?

redbeard911 Apr 16, 2007 10:52 am

Originally Posted by windwalker (Post 7589583)
WOW, very cool
Gonna take a LOT of typing to try and get all data on there. I don't see any way to import, is there?

No, there's not. I spent about 8 hours total to get 400 entries in. I've still got about 100 to go. You can pull recently entered values, but there's no "repeat" trip or anything like that. It would make two years of weekly SAN-DEN-SAN entries easier.

ucsf_med Apr 18, 2007 4:04 pm

I really like the idea behind flightmemory, I've been actively researching my flight history from paper stubs and emails to enter into the website since it went live. I've told many of my friends about the website as well. I'm concerened about some differences I've noticed between the German and English websites (other than language).

Why is the English version full of in-line ads and the German version ad-free? This is a new enhancement that rolled out a few days after going live (it wasnt there the first few days, and still missing from the German site).

The English version disabled the Search feature that allows you to find people on matching flights (accessible the first few days of the English site go-live). The German version still allows you to use it.

The only other difference in function is that the German one allows you to export your flight info as a PDF.

I suppose I should just keep my mouth shut so that those features don't get removed from the German site too. Please forget what you read in this post.

redbeard911 Apr 18, 2007 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by ucsf_med (Post 7603722)
I really like the idea behind flightmemory, I've been actively researching my flight history from paper stubs and emails to enter into the website since it went live. I've told many of my friends about the website as well. I'm concerened about some differences I've noticed between the German and English websites (other than language).

Why is the English version full of in-line ads and the German version ad-free? This is a new enhancement that rolled out a few days after going live (it wasnt there the first few days, and still missing from the German site).

The English version disabled the Search feature that allows you to find people on matching flights (accessible the first few days of the English site go-live). The German version still allows you to use it.

The only other difference in function is that the German one allows you to export your flight info as a PDF.

I suppose I should just keep my mouth shut so that those features don't get removed from the German site too. Please forget what you read in this post.

You can still search. You need to be logged in to be able to fo it.

I'd love to be able to export to PDF. ^ I'd also like to see user definable sorts, like mileage by airline

WillTravel Apr 18, 2007 5:36 pm

I haven't used flight memory, so I don't know what the web pages look like, but if you want to export a web page view to PDF, I like using this free program: www.pdf995.com/

ucsf_med Apr 18, 2007 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by redbeard911 (Post 7604046)
You can still search. You need to be logged in to be able to fo it.

You are correct, looks like it's back.

Regarding your PDF, you can login to flugstatistik, under the tab where you normally click to enter "New Flight" and "Unique Airports" there are three buttons. Click the middle one (on mouseover you can see it links to something with pdf at the end), it will dynamically generate a PDF nicely formatted with your flight data including comments.

USDHS1984 Apr 18, 2007 5:53 pm

Is there a web site that can help me forget a few flights???:confused:

redbeard911 Apr 18, 2007 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by ucsf_med (Post 7604180)
You are correct, looks like it's back.

Regarding your PDF, you can login to flugstatistik, under the tab where you normally click to enter "New Flight" and "Unique Airports" there are three buttons. Click the middle one (on mouseover you can see it links to something with pdf at the end), it will dynamically generate a PDF nicely formatted with your flight data including comments.

I got to thinking and poked around the site and found it. 25 pages. :eek:

iCorpRoadie Apr 19, 2007 3:02 pm

fun!!! Addicting too.

psk808 Apr 19, 2007 3:41 pm

Great site!

Thanks, szg, for http://www.flightmemory.com. I love that I can upload all of my flight data and see it online. ^ :)

redbeard911 Apr 19, 2007 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie (Post 7608983)
fun!!! Addicting too.

It is fun. I tried to remember all the flights I took prior to 1995, since they were infrequent and I didn't keep records.

The only data left to enter is a years' worth of SAN-DEN-SAN weekly flights. That will be tedious.

N965VJ Apr 19, 2007 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by bau31888 (Post 7588464)
Don't forget to click from time to time on the googleads on www.flightmemory.com to keep this service running for free ;)

I would advise against that, unless you have a bona fide interest in the AdWord.

Cool site, though.

tonei Apr 19, 2007 4:41 pm

Thanks for posting this! It looks really neat.

flying_ww Apr 19, 2007 5:06 pm

This is a lot of fun. I had been collecting all of my flight info in a notebook for the last couple of years, and being able to see it on a map is really cool.

Now, if I could only remember the details of my flying five or six years ago...

--ww

Stripe Apr 19, 2007 5:24 pm

If you want to fill as many details in as possible and all you have is a flight number and date, go to www.flightstats.com. I know they go back at least a couple of years. They can tell you original flight schedule, actual arrival and departure times, and equipment used.

You need to sign up for an account and log in to get the historical stats. It's free.

Kiwi Flyer Apr 19, 2007 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by redbeard911 (Post 7609372)
It is fun. I tried to remember all the flights I took prior to 1995, since they were infrequent and I didn't keep records.

The only data left to enter is a years' worth of SAN-DEN-SAN weekly flights. That will be tedious.

I gave up entering my flights prior to a few years ago. Waaaay too many back and forward (one to three times weekly), mostly on the same route and of a handful of airlines.

bmorec Apr 20, 2007 11:48 am

Posters?

Glad I got turned on to this site. I was getting a little worried that I wasn't obsessing over miles and flights enough.
This year is shaping up like it could be a memorable one in terms of travel - by my standards anyway. The personalized poster with your flight stats and map on it looks pretty cool (thinking the smaller ones). Has anyone bought one in the past, and if so, how did it come out? (quality, clarity, accuracy)

NHFL9 Apr 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Anyone know of a resource for missing registration numbers for international flights? I know bts.gov works well for domestic. I am in need of AA0092 from ORD-DUB on 11-20-2005.

MuAT Apr 20, 2007 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by NHFL9 (Post 7613932)
Anyone know of a resource for missing registration numbers for international flights? I know bts.gov works well for domestic. I am in need of AA0092 from ORD-DUB on 11-20-2005.

let me know too! I'm missing a couple CO flights... and some domestic ones on non-major airlines.

rkkwan Apr 20, 2007 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by NHFL9 (Post 7613932)

Can you give the link, or the specific location on bts.gov to find tail number for domestic flights? I didn't start "collecting" them until just over a year ago.

flying_ww Apr 20, 2007 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan (Post 7614299)
Can you give the link, or the specific location on bts.gov to find tail number for domestic flights? I didn't start "collecting" them until just over a year ago.

Here it is. I think their stats go back to 1995 or so; I have found that searching by scheduled departure time is the easiest.

http://www.bts.gov/programs/airline_...ledStatistics/

you can look the N-Number up on the FAA's site to see what type the a/c was if you don't have that info. http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...um_inquiry.asp

-ww

Berto Apr 20, 2007 6:47 pm

Just make sure you enter the right search terms into the BTS database. I was scratching my head earlier when it tried to tell me that a certain flight went to BHM and not PFN. I had managed to select the wrong year!

I do have to say this though: Even making sure I did not make that mistake again, I still am having some issues looking up a few flights. Such as MLI-ATL DL4645 (ASA) on 8/7/06. :confused:

rkkwan Apr 20, 2007 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by flying_ww (Post 7615027)
Here it is. I think their stats go back to 1995 or so; I have found that searching by scheduled departure time is the easiest.

http://www.bts.gov/programs/airline_...ledStatistics/

you can look the N-Number up on the FAA's site to see what type the a/c was if you don't have that info. http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...um_inquiry.asp

-ww

Wow! Very cool. Unbelievable amount of data! Thank you much.

ucsf_med Apr 20, 2007 8:14 pm

Is there an easier way to search the BTS website? I can only search by

origin city/date/departure time
destination city/date/arrival time

Is there any way to get departure time and arrival time in one search? Search by city pair?

Berto Apr 20, 2007 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by ucsf_med (Post 7615737)
Is there an easier way to search the BTS website? I can only search by

origin city/date/departure time
destination city/date/arrival time

Is there any way to get departure time and arrival time in one search? Search by city pair?

I could be wrong, but I havent seen any other way to search the data. I just enter the relevant inputs than hit ctrl-F and type what I am looking for: Flight number, city, etc. Its especially helpful when trying to find a flight that originated from an airport like Atlanta.

Also, does anyone know of a way to look up similar data with international flights, such as in/out-USA or EU flights?

ucsf_med Apr 20, 2007 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Berto (Post 7615773)
I could be wrong, but I havent seen any other way to search the data. I just enter the relevant inputs than hit ctrl-F and type what I am looking for: Flight number, city, etc. Its especially helpful when trying to find a flight that originated from an airport like Atlanta.

Yeah, but wouldn't it be nice to search by flight number/date/origin city (or departure city) and return the full flight info (ori/dest/dep/arr/reg number)

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Apr 22, 2007 4:39 pm

I just had to find this site two weeks before my property law final...LOL. Spent all day yesterday inputting my flight stats. Oh well, at least I didn't discover this closer to crunch-time.