Wiki Posts
Search

CoMETS is now available for Mac OS X and for Windows

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2005, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Thanks.... but I was talking about a flight-by-flight running total, both EQM and EQP. I wanted to see when I would cross certain thresholds... GLD, PLT, stickers, etc...
I see--you could check the Summary tab after entering each itinerary; that would give you the running total after each itinerary, but not after each segment. Something to consider for v2.

EDIT: Also open jaws...?
Just leave a blank field when entering an itinerary.
For example: SFO - FRA - - CDG - SFO

But question... do you know how to treat city pairs? E.g., LAX/SNA/LGB/ONT/BUR, DCA/BWI/IAD, JFK/LGA/EWR, etc....

It's only a few miles, but I like accuracy
If I understand your question, you would just treat the change in airport as an open jaw.
For example, enter ORD - IAD - - DCA - ORD for an itinerary that takes you into IAD and out of DCA.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by SeattleFred
I see--you could check the Summary tab after entering each itinerary; that would give you the running total after each itinerary, but not after each segment. Something to consider for v2.

Just leave a blank field when entering an itinerary.
For example: SFO - FRA - - CDG - SFO

If I understand your question, you would just treat the change in airport as an open jaw.
For example, enter ORD - IAD - - DCA - ORD for an itinerary that takes you into IAD and out of DCA.
Excellent, thank you!

I really like the program... relatively easy to use, and I like how it has fields for all the info you can think of for travel, like tail numbers. Nice touch.

Another suggestion for v2.0... a way (perhaps a specific tab) to enter "Other Miles," like dining, credit cards, etc... non-travel related miles.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 3:25 am

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
This is absolutely the best mileage tool I've ever found... and it was built native for my PowerBook to boot!

Thank you, Fred! ^ ^
Old Oct 2, 2005, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FCYTravis
This is absolutely the best mileage tool I've ever found... and it was built native for my PowerBook to boot!
Wow, thanks FCYTravis! Glad you like it.

And thanks also to bhatnasx for changing the thread title to reflect CoMETS' availability on Windows.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:02 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
^ ^ ^ SeattleFred!!

I meant to post feedback many days ago when I first saw mention of this tool. Life, however, got in the way, and I haven't had time to sit down and write anything/bump a thread.

This tool flat-out rocks, for those of us who like to geek out to the max. You can track itineraries, arrival and departure times, food served, upgrades attained, tail numbers flown, EQM/EQS YTD, cost per mile, both redeemable and elite qualifying, and probably a few things I'm forgetting.
I hit the airline's web site and grab status info after the flights, just cause it's fun to have a complete record, but more practically, I love being able to see how much I've spent on travel for the year, and how my runs have helped me.

A few issues already known (I put them here just because this seems to be the feedback spot, even though I've already passed them along in PM):

Time zones are not completely implemented, so duration of flight will sometimes get odd.
Starting in the middle of the year on tracking this stuff will yield some bogus calculations on the "year to date" but that's not a fault of the program, just of my poor record keeping before I used this.
And there was something else I'm forgetting. I think it was an inability to edit some field, but SeattleFred is already aware of it.

A great tool and I'm completely attached to it already. ^
Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:28 am
Original Poster

CoMETS was first released on October 4th, 2004 for Mac OS X. A Windows version was released two months later. Although labeled as CoMETS Beta 1, the software has proven to be very stable and I have not needed to issue any updates.

Since the initial release, the CoMETS website has had nearly 1000 visits.
Well, the CoMETS website has blasted thru the 1000-visit milestone in the last few days. I have just added a few CoMETS screenshots—if you're curious, have a look.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 5:48 pm

I just realized the one small bug I had forgotten. There doesn't seem to be a way to add airlines on the itinerary area. You can add them in the "summary" to indicate where you want the miles to be tracked to, but if you have an itin with an airline not in the list, I haven't figured out how to add one.

I'm also not sure whether there is an ability to add a "multiplier" for low-earning fare classes e.g. I have a fare that will only earn 70% miles and I'm not sure how I can set that to give me less than the segment mileage, other than manually.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
I just realized the one small bug I had forgotten. There doesn't seem to be a way to add airlines on the itinerary area. You can add them in the "summary" to indicate where you want the miles to be tracked to, but if you have an itin with an airline not in the list, I haven't figured out how to add one.
Yes, this was an oversight and will be fixed in v2--did you actually have a flight with an airline not in the list for which you would earn miles?

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
I'm also not sure whether there is an ability to add a "multiplier" for low-earning fare classes e.g. I have a fare that will only earn 70% miles and I'm not sure how I can set that to give me less than the segment mileage, other than manually.
I did not consider less than 100% mileage-earning flights when I developed CoMETS, but I think CoMETS can handle this anyway. For your flight that earns only 70%, think of it as a -30% Bonus. You can enter negative bonuses for Status and for Class of Service (miles, EQM, and/or EQS) in the Bonus Details tab. Please let us know if this is a satisfactory solution.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 6:15 pm

Yes, this was an oversight and will be fixed in v2--did you actually have a flight with an airline not in the list for which you would earn miles?
OZ and AY flights coming up.

I did not consider less than 100% mileage-earning flights when I developed CoMETS, but I think CoMETS can handle this anyway. For your flight that earns only 70%, think of it as a -30% Bonus. You can enter negative bonuses for Status and for Class of Service (miles, EQM, and/or EQS) in the Bonus Details tab. Please let us know if this is a satisfactory solution.
GREAT solution! Didn't realize it could handle negative numbers, but that worked like a charm. I had manually entered the mileages as less, which is a bad idea if I forgot to fix them in the future (ICN actually wasn't in the database but I assume it would remember the ORD-ICN mileage I input if I used it in a future itin).

Thanks again for your hard work on this.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Very cool! what are the underpinnings? Is it objc and carbon? If so, why is the PC version so much smaller than the mac (you'd think the other way around)?

(lol, n/m. looked at the dlls you've packaged it with. c, xalan, and filemaker )

Last edited by oopsz; Oct 5, 2005 at 6:28 pm
Old Oct 5, 2005, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
I was able to add an airline under Mileage but not under airline flown... I'm trying to add LOT as I have 1 or 2 flights intra europe on them
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oopsz
Very cool! what are the underpinnings? Is it objc and carbon? If so, why is the PC version so much smaller than the mac (you'd think the other way around)?

(lol, n/m. looked at the dlls you've packaged it with. c, xalan, and filemaker )
That's right—CoMETS was built with FileMaker Pro (v6); the developer version of FileMaker Pro enables you to build standalone applications. The Mac version is a larger download only because I did not compress it before I made the .dmg. Both versions are about the same size after the Windoze version is unzipped.

CoMETS v2 will be built with FileMaker Pro Advanced v8.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zabes64
I was able to add an airline under Mileage but not under airline flown... I'm trying to add LOT as I have 1 or 2 flights intra europe on them
As noted above, this is a bug. The right way to fix this would be to make it easy for you to add airlines (as you can with Frequent Flyer plans). Unfortunately, the only way to implement this would require replacement of the file that contains your itinerary data. However, I think I can instead create a file with a more comprehensive list of airlines; you would then be able to simply replace the existing file that has the limited list of airlines.

Let me know which airlines should be added.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 5:37 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Let me know which airlines should be added.
MH, QR and OK, for starters

(Oh, and KLM and AF merged their programs this June)

Last edited by apoivre; Oct 6, 2005 at 11:40 am
Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1P, Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles
Arrow

Looking forward to downloading this at home. It might do-away with my extensive spreadsheet that I have made for tracking flights/mileage. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.