Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Getting Lost in Lost & Found

Old Apr 17, 2024, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL

Most of you know that if you lose anything on commercial airliner, it ends up in a Scottsboro, Alabama, warehouse, where it languishes until either claimed or -- after 45 days -- is sold. If you use the airline web site to report a lost item, the data actually goes to a database at lostandfound.aero, a server for which general public access is blocked.

Most U.S. airlines use the same company -- Unclaimed Baggage Center, based in Scottsboro but with warehouses in sundry cities.

I was able to reclaim my lost Kindle, and paid $15 shipping to get it back. So far, so good. I charged the shipping fee to my Delta Amex.

However, when I tried to use the Amex charge card's phone and web site contact info for the company, it turns out Amex had associated the phone number of an unrelated Alabama mortgage company! The nice woman who answered the phone explained that she gets several calls a day from people trying to reach Unclaimed Luggage, but has been unable to find out where the misinformation is coming from.

I told her: Amex. She seemed pleased to know. Took me another hour to find the correct contact info of the lost & found warehouse:

The actual Unclaimed Baggage phone number is +1 (256) 259-1525 and their real public-facing web site is https://<span style="color:#444746">...age.com</span>. To dispense info about a specific item, they need the claim number issued when you reported the item lost to the airline.

Frequent travelers might want to add that phone number and web site to your mobile phone contacts.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I went to the place in Alabama once (during the late 90s) and it honestly just seemed like a plus sized Goodwill store. A lot of the stuff was really old and they sold some products that were clearly created for their sales channel (sort of like factory outlet malls).

So, I assumed that the notion that most lost luggage ends up there was an urban myth that those guys were happy to perpetuate.

Last edited by moondog; Apr 17, 2024 at 8:58 pm
Old Apr 17, 2024, 8:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by RIP-PSA
Took me another hour to find the correct contact info of the lost & found warehouse:

The actual Unclaimed Baggage phone number is +1 (256) 259-1525 and their real public-facing web site is https://unclaimedbaggage.com. To dispense info about a specific item, they need the claim number issued when you reported the item lost to the airline.
It took me a couple of seconds to find their phone number by Googling "Unclaimed Baggage Center."

It's in the side panel to the right of the search results:

Unclaimed Baggage

Website
Directions

Save
Call
4.04,572 Google reviews
Second hand store in Scottsboro, Alabama
Huge venue selling unclaimed airline luggage, including clothes, jewelry, bags & electronics.
Address: 509 W Willow St, Scottsboro, AL 35768
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 9 AM Thu
Confirmed by phone call 2 weeks ago
Phone: (256) 259-1525
And by the way, you posted an invalid URL for their website, the correct one is: https://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.