Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Anyone know a general website to calculate all the distance & hours you've flown?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone know a general website to calculate all the distance & hours you've flown?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada SE /*A Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite

Anyone know a general website (non-AC related) that lets you calculate all the distances you've flown and hours spent flying? Trying to calculate how much time I've spent in the air/how far I've travelled in 2018....google searches have not returned anything useful or a website that is not for pilots. Thanks!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 42000ft
Anyone know a general website (non-AC related) that lets you calculate all the distances you've flown and hours spent flying? Trying to calculate how much time I've spent in the air/how far I've travelled in 2018....google searches have not returned anything useful or a website that is not for pilots. Thanks!
The great-circle distance and what you actually fly to get from A to B can vastly differ from flight to flight. So are you looking for actuals?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:57 am

I use FlightMemory to track places I've flown to, distance and time spent in air. I use WebFlyer to calculate distances for accrual.

-James
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I use my.flightradar24.com
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I use FlightMemory to track places I've flown to, distance and time spent in air. I use WebFlyer to calculate distances for accrual.

-James
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I use my.flightradar24.com
I should start using these... retroactively inputting all my history in would take forever though... (plus AC BPs don't have the year listed and I don't have all of my eTicket/Invoices)

Do these also do actual length and duration flown automatically, or do I have to keep tabs on those myself? For example, YYZ YVR we had to go around a large system of "nasty" weather which added an extra 70 minutes to our flight time (IIRC). So that wasn't near 2,078 miles.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada SE /*A Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
The great-circle distance and what you actually fly to get from A to B can vastly differ from flight to flight. So are you looking for actuals?
Not too picky about this (either or), but actuals would be ideal.

Originally Posted by j2simpso

-James
This will work, made an account - now to input all the data for this year!

Thanks guys!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:21 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
In addition to those suggested by others, there's OpenFlights. I like its mapping better than FlightMemory's, but I prefer FlightMemory for the stats. I mostly use FlightMemory but periodically upload my stuff to OpenFlights as well.

Do these also do actual length and duration flown automatically, or do I have to keep tabs on those myself? For example, YYZ YVR we had to go around a large system of "nasty" weather which added an extra 70 minutes to our flight time (IIRC). So that wasn't near 2,078 miles.
No. They use great circle distance and a distance-based formula to calculate duration. For example, OpenFlights uses 30 minutes plus 1 hour for every 500 miles. If you want actual distances and durations, you can use FlightAware and FlightStats, respectively.

I think you might be surprised at how little the distance varies from great circle though. For instance, I did LHR-YYC a few weeks ago and it looked like we flew way wide of the great circle distance, but it was only a couple hundred miles extra, which is only a few percentage points on a >4300 mile route.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith

If you want actual distances and durations, you can use FlightAware and FlightStats, respectively.
Hmm... I wonder if they have an API for subscribers to get extra info like actuals.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:25 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Hmm... I wonder if they have an API for subscribers to get extra info like actuals.
FlightStats has some sort of API. FlightAware, I don't know, getting historical stuff seems very manual with them.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Not too picky about this (either or), but actuals would be ideal.

This will work, made an account - now to input all the data for this year!

Thanks guys!
Eek! Do you really want to know your actual hours flying? I fear information like this would make me retire today!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
FR24 seems to pull in actual departure and arrival times when I add a flight.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
FlightStats has some sort of API. FlightAware, I don't know, getting historical stuff seems very manual with them.
FlightAware has an API, it's quite detailed. ISTR it's a big source of revenue for them.

https://flightaware.com/commercial/flightxml/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.