FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone know a general website to calculate all the distance & hours you've flown?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:21 am
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 42000ft
Anyone know a general website (non-AC related) that lets you calculate all the distances you've flown and hours spent flying? Trying to calculate how much time I've spent in the air/how far I've travelled in 2018....google searches have not returned anything useful or a website that is not for pilots. Thanks!
In addition to those suggested by others, there's OpenFlights. I like its mapping better than FlightMemory's, but I prefer FlightMemory for the stats. I mostly use FlightMemory but periodically upload my stuff to OpenFlights as well.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Do these also do actual length and duration flown automatically, or do I have to keep tabs on those myself? For example, YYZ YVR we had to go around a large system of "nasty" weather which added an extra 70 minutes to our flight time (IIRC). So that wasn't near 2,078 miles.
No. They use great circle distance and a distance-based formula to calculate duration. For example, OpenFlights uses 30 minutes plus 1 hour for every 500 miles. If you want actual distances and durations, you can use FlightAware and FlightStats, respectively.

I think you might be surprised at how little the distance varies from great circle though. For instance, I did LHR-YYC a few weeks ago and it looked like we flew way wide of the great circle distance, but it was only a couple hundred miles extra, which is only a few percentage points on a >4300 mile route.