Wiki Posts
Search

Best Travel Apps

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Question Best travel apps?

Hello flyertalk!

I am currently searching for both fun-to-use travel related apps, as well as handy and useful travel apps. However, I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions to any apps? I have currently 3 travel apps installed (Flightradar, appeared and TripAdvisor), which I am very satisfied with - but I am open for trying out new apps, as well! Ideas, anybody?

Thanks in advance!
kerry123 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:35 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

There is a comprehensive list of travel tools, including apps, in the sticky thread:
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

There is a comprehensive list of travel tools, including apps, in the sticky thread:
Thanks for the list, will check it out! :-)
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:28 am

Hey, there's my list of apps I always use while traveling. I think there're a few that are not mentioned in the thread attached above.
HostelWorld, AirBnB - for accommodation;
SkyScanner, Hopper - for the best flight deals;
Spyglass - for navigation both in a city and in the backcountry;
Yelp, Foursquare - for the best places to eat;
XE Currency - to be aware of currency exchange rates;
Google translate - for reading signs and menus written in foreign languages;
Duolingo - I find it one of the best apps for learning a foreign language basics.
I hope it'll help.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
5 best travel apps

Compiled (and updated) over the last 5 years. Open to feedback, suggestions and eye-openings.

1. Here Maps: You can download the maps for most any country, or even the entire world if you have the space, which is great since Google Maps basically sucks for offline usage.

2. uCiC: For finding things nearby to see, checking out crowds and basically interacting with any human being on the planet

3. Wikisherpa+ (cost $1 I think?): For downloading wikivoyage/wikipedia articles for offline usage. I'm not certain if it's the best app or not, it's just the one I happen to use, but there are others.

4. Alltrails: For finding/saving hiking trails. I've only used that one for weekend trips where I live though (US), not for traveling other nations.

5. Eventbrite: This has given me a few pleasant surprises. If you're traveling to a new city, give this a glance and you may find some amazing event you would have missed.

Safe travels,
Vo-ronin

Last edited by gfunkdave; Apr 21, 2016 at 6:20 pm Reason: removed exterior link and subbed FT smiley
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:09 am

Best Travel Apps

Hi all, I’ve done searches in google to find the best travel apps and found tons of information which, as you can guess, can be a bit much to test.

So I’ve decided to open this up to you experienced travelers, as experience helps more than just “top lists”.

Please share which travel apps have proven to be effective for you and perhaps a few words as to why.

When sharing your experience, add in all types, for example cruise apps, plane apps, flight apps, rental car apps, hotel apps, specific brand apps, etc., and add from every area of the world.

To start us off, I will add:

1. GoEuro: they give you instant quotes on getting around Europe by train, plane and bus and I’ve booked a few travels directly with them, which have been seemless.
(Also Trainline EU is great for Paris train travel!)

2. Lastminute.com: great for hotels and flights, as well as spontaneous travel. Booking with them has always been easy and their descriptions/pics of hotels are accurate. Beware only of late changes to schedules if you decide to change your plans as most likely, that won’t be refunded.

3. Booking.com: nice selection of hotels and various ranges, athough once, the pictures were nicer than the actual hotel. But their “genius” frequent traveler perks are superb!

4. Cruise Finder: we just got back from our first experience trying a 10 day cruise we found on that app. It was absolutely amazing. I’ve since noticed that there are many cruise specific apps which offer this type of broad range of search criteria, so please feel free to add anything you’ve found to be efficient.

Thank you in advance:-)
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:46 am

Welcome to Flyertalk! I will add Skyscanner as my go to app for looking for flights from a city to "anywhere". I often just plot my trips based on where I can get to cheaply and this feature helps.
Bestvoyages likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:59 am

Thanks for that addition and for your kind welcome!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Welcome to FlyerTalk @Bestvoyages!

There are lists of recommended apps in this forum's sticky thread:
TWA884
Travel Tools moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.