Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ITA software scrape

ITA software scrape

Old Dec 4, 18, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, AF Plat, BA Gold, SPG Plat, HHo Gold
ITA software scrape

Just curious, whether anybody has succeeded in creating a scraping script for ITA software. I have seen a post over on headforpoints, which suggested it was possible. Any insight?

Thanks,

Jan
Old Dec 5, 18, 12:28 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K, WN A-List
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Just curious, whether anybody has succeeded in creating a scraping script for ITA software. I have seen a post over on headforpoints, which suggested it was possible. Any insight?

Thanks,

Jan
What exactly do you mean by scraping?

Are you looking for functionality provided by either the Userscript or bookwithmatrix?

ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK

BookWithMatrix.com: a tool to easily book with ITA Matrix
Old Dec 7, 18, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Zorak,
No -- that's what I mean. From what I understand, the tools you mention assist you in purchasing specific search results, which indeed is a big help.

Scraping refers to automating requests sent to a website and harvesting the results.
Take for example the recently introduced limitation on ITA to limit the jointly queried departure points to cities in a single country. If you want to do a regional query of flights from all departure points in neighboring countries, you need to several requests.
Scraping would run a script, send out a request, wait for the results to display and than store the results before moving on the next request automatically etc.
It's obvious that google discourages that kind of data harvesting and has put in place a few barriers to do it.... I was wondering whether somebody has managed to successfully scrape ITA nonetheless.

Thanks

Jan
Old Dec 7, 18, 11:10 am

I know what scraping means in general, but wanted to understand your specific use case and whether it had to do with booking or searching.

IMO if someone wanted to automate the searching process or aggregate the results of multiple searches, a more direct approach might be to use Developer Tools to try and figure out the underlying search API and then issue customized requests directly to that instead of going via the UI.
Old Dec 7, 18, 1:40 pm

Same problem discussed in a slightly different way. Here in Western Europe several international airports may be within 150 miles of each other but in four different countries so while the old ITA-Matrix allowed a quick search that has now become more tedious. Any suggestions how a searcher might extend to search 'airports within x miles'
Just a thought

Last edited by gbs1112; Dec 7, 18 at 1:41 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 12, 18, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
I know what scraping means in general, but wanted to understand your specific use case and whether it had to do with booking or searching.

IMO if someone wanted to automate the searching process or aggregate the results of multiple searches, a more direct approach might be to use Developer Tools to try and figure out the underlying search API and then issue customized requests directly to that instead of going via the UI.
Sorry, yes it's about the searching, not the booking.

I appreciate thata developer API might be better, it just so happens that itasodtware closed down its already limited QPX API last month.

So any thoughts on a js or vbnet based routine that jumps the itasoftware anti scraping hurdles would be welcome.
Old Dec 13, 18, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Sorry, yes it's about the searching, not the booking.

I appreciate thata developer API might be better, it just so happens that itasodtware closed down its already limited QPX API last month.

So any thoughts on a js or vbnet based routine that jumps the itasoftware anti scraping hurdles would be welcome.
There may not be a public-facing API anymore but there's still whatever API their UI talks to. As I said above, my first thought absent any better suggestions would be to use Developer Tools in a browser, sniff whatever requests it's making and try to reverse engineer what it's doing.