Replacement for FlightTrack?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Replacement for FlightTrack?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
After we lost the best iOS app for managing data from TripIt (Flight Track Pro), I turned to Flight Update Pro. The app has often worked well, but of course any app will have issues on occasion.

Last month, I never could get a flight to show up from ACC to LOS. I contacted Flight Track Pro and the head of the company, Scott, responded but did not see a solution.

Now I have two domestic flights in Brazil that show up in TripIt iOS app - and also Trip Case, App in the Air plus Flight Tracker - but on Flight Update when it comes to departure and arrival times says "unavailable". This despite the fact that I manually entered the data myself.

I resumed my conversation with Flight Track Pro and was not prepared for the response from Scott. His was dismissive of my query and took offensive to a simple turn of phrase while seeking a solution. Since I paid for the app, I have the right to report tech issues in hopes of helping all who use the app.

I know we all have bad days, but this reignites my search for an iOS app that will fill my need since Scott (Flight Update) told me to ask Apple for a refund.

Other distractions of late with the app is that it does not purge duplicate trips even after they are deleted from TripIt. This happened when I changed the return date on my recent trip to HKG and this issue remains with an upcoming trip to OTP.

Last edited by Xeno; Sep 26, 2018 at 6:31 am
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:05 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I have been using The Flight Tracker for iOS and it mostly works well, at least from the Tripit integration perspective. For now, I can can live with this even if it still has a less capable UX compared to old FlightTrack.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I have seen recent posts here about FlightTrack and AppInTheAir, but has no one paid for the premium version of TripCase?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: United
Hi, new user to this forum. Yesterday, my flight was delayed several times and I wish I had Mobiata's old FlightTrack Pro to check all the information. I definitely took that app for granted and now I have 4 apps to replace the one app that Mobiata did. How hard can it be to write another app exactly like FlightTrack 5 Pro?
BThumme, Bohemian1 and barracuda93 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by innershell
Hi, new user to this forum. Yesterday, my flight was delayed several times and I wish I had Mobiata's old FlightTrack Pro to check all the information. I definitely took that app for granted and now I have 4 apps to replace the one app that Mobiata did. How hard can it be to write another app exactly like FlightTrack 5 Pro?
TripIt Pro does the thing, though not perfectly sometimes.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by barracuda93
TripIt Pro does the thing, though not perfectly sometimes.
Thanks. I just checked out TripIt Pro. $67/year?

Does TripIt Pro get info on aircraft flight plan to see where aircraft is coming from, where is it, and why it is late.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:34 am

Thanks. I just checked out TripIt Pro. $67/year?

Does TripIt Pro get info on aircraft flight plan to see where aircraft is coming from, where is it, and why it is late.
They just had 24 USD/year on Black Friday and now have even better offer of 49 USD/2 years for Cyber Monday.

I don't think it has such specific info on delays as "why it is late". Which app shows that btw?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:44 am

They just had 24 USD/year on Black Friday and now have even better offer of 49 USD/2 years for Cyber Monday.

I don't think it has such specific info on delays as "why it is late". Which app shows that btw?
FlightStats has this information online. It is incredibly useful to know if a flight was going to be delayed for a specific reason so that I can rush to the gate for an alternate flight before the rest of the passengers found out. It helped me grab the last seat on the plane too many times.

I don't need an app to track flights. There's tonnes of "good enough" apps out there. I need an app that helps me get an advantage over all other passengers (selfishly). LOL

Last edited by innershell; Nov 29, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:39 pm

FlightStats has this information online. It is incredibly useful to know if a flight was going to be delayed for a specific reason so that I can rush to the gate for an alternate flight before the rest of the passengers found out. It helped me grab the last seat on the plane too many times.
How does knowing reason of delay help you in any practical way though?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
For me at least, If the delay is due to MX, it's a heck of a lot easier to get better recommendations.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:21 pm

Smile

I cannot remember all times I've used the reason, but here are a few:
  1. Aircraft reporting on-time, yet flight tracker app indicates inbound aircraft still has not left departing city. Use this information to catch different route so that I can make all my connections home.
  2. Connecting flight delayed for maintenance. Last or second last connection to my final destination, so good time to scurry over to the other gate and beg to get on the on-time flight instead.
  3. Flight delayed for "miscellaneous" reasons. If this is the only flight by this carrier today, quickly start booking with a different carrier in case flight is cancelled outright. I have 24 hours to cancel new booking.
Being 1 or 2 clicks away from all this information would be great to have. Currently, I am swapping between 3-4 different flight tracking apps to see everything. Maybe I'm just obsessive this way and other flyers don't follow their flights as intimately as I do.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:59 pm

I cannot remember all times I've used the reason, but here are a few:
  1. Aircraft reporting on-time, yet flight tracker app indicates inbound aircraft still has not left departing city. Use this information to catch different route so that I can make all my connections home.
Then I think that you end up buying a full flex Y ticket at the last minute, and discard your own. Possibly even voiding the return segment, if there was one.

1. Connecting flight delayed for maintenance. Last or second last connection to my final destination, so good time to scurry over to the other gate and beg to get on the on-time flight instead.
Only works if you don't have a checked bag, the flight leaving is empty and the gate agent is in real good mood.

1. Flight delayed for "miscellaneous" reasons. If this is the only flight by this carrier today, quickly start booking with a different carrier in case flight is cancelled outright. I have 24 hours to cancel new booking.
May I know which carrier/OTA allows you to cancel a flight departing in next 24 hours, that you book within preceding 24 hours? US DOT rule is applicable to purchases made 7 days in advance, and I think OTA' s put a similar rule itself. In any case, the last minute seat is probably full flex Y fare an may be cancellable free of charge.

To be honest, if money is not an issue, then all the approaches above may work, but otherwise I really do not see a convincing argument here.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:58 pm

Being 1 or 2 clicks away from all this information would be great to have. Currently, I am swapping between 3-4 different flight tracking apps to see everything. Maybe I'm just obsessive this way and other flyers don't follow their flights as intimately as I do.
Yeah, guess just not my use-case. I would only care about reliable delay or cancellation info.
flightyryan likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:17 am

Yeah, guess just not my use-case. I would only care about reliable delay or cancellation info.
Which is your favorite app that gives you reliable delay or cancellation info? Almost all decent apps (FlightStats, FlightAware, FlightRadar24) have this info.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:18 pm

I'm a little late to the game and was not able to use Flight Track before Mobiata got acquired. I've been reading this thread and I don't really understand what made Flight Track so special that people are still sad about losing it some three years later.

In the most simple terms, can someone please explain to me what you were getting out of FlightTrack that none of the other apps are offering...what problem did Flight Track solve so well? And why was it so important that Flight Track worked with Tripit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.