FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/1707354-google-flights-changes-updates-glitches-help-consolidated-thread.html)

LRD Jun 16, 2018 12:58 pm

I thought I'd check-out the Google Product Forums. . . figured there would be global cry of dismay, channeled into billions of complaint-posts - and, perhaps, some postings from Google engineers on why they made the change, and if there might be some work-arounds to get the old functionality back.

And, I found . . . nothing!

Either my search skills have deteriorated or the rest of the world hasn't yet noticed/doesn't care.

I would be very grateful if someone could post a link to a meaningful discussion on the subject.

RunningforMiles Jun 18, 2018 10:12 am

This really sucks, I am working on a multi-stop TPAC itinerary and it's driving me nuts. It's frustrating as it's taking so much longer than with the old version, I had to come vent :rolleyes:

Paella747 Jun 18, 2018 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by RunningforMiles (Post 29878836)
This really sucks, I am working on a multi-stop TPAC itinerary and it's driving me nuts. It's frustrating as it's taking so much longer than with the old version, I had to come vent :rolleyes:

^ Yes!!! And when you're checking multiple cities, it doesn't show the airport code anymore, and instead switches to a name.

When I'm checking BRU, it changes to "City of Brussels" which then 'shortens' to "City of....." ( literally! and then nothing else! just "City of....." ) instead of just "BRU". So it's hard to tell which cities you have already entered. So many annoying little quirks like that, which were not there before....
I'm a bit sad that I don't have a simple, fun search engine to play with anymore......

RunningforMiles Jun 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Paella747 (Post 29879287)
^ Yes!!! And when you're checking multiple cities, it doesn't show the airport code anymore, and instead switches to a name.

When I'm checking BRU, it changes to "City of Brussels" which then 'shortens' to "City of....." ( literally! and then nothing else! just "City of....." ) instead of just "BRU". So it's hard to tell which cities you have already entered. So many annoying little quirks like that, which were not there before....
I'm a bit sad that I don't have a simple, fun search engine to play with anymore......

Same, completely agree about multiple airports! Every time I clicked on the airport dialogue box it became so laggy. I really hope someone builds a third party Chrome extension that transforms it into the old UI, I wish I had the skill to myself. If ITA power tools are possible, this must be.

Great_circle Jun 19, 2018 12:31 am

Deleted

youranut Jun 23, 2018 11:08 am

In the past I would google an airline and the first result would be a google flights link. I would click it and it would take me to a google flights page that restricted the results to that airline. I could use the map search to find the cheapest destinations for that airline only. Now I have a use for that function and can't figure out how to limit the search to one airline. The link I that was in the google results is no longer there. Has that function been removed or just made hard to find?

Zorak Jun 23, 2018 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by youranut (Post 29898276)
In the past I would google an airline and the first result would be a google flights link. I would click it and it would take me to a google flights page that restricted the results to that airline. I could use the map search to find the cheapest destinations for that airline only. Now I have a use for that function and can't figure out how to limit the search to one airline. The link I that was in the google results is no longer there. Has that function been removed or just made hard to find?

It still seems like it's possible -- there is still an "Airline" dropdown on the search results page -- the catch is that you have to perform an actual search and get flight results before you can narrow it down to a specific airline or alliance (I think that's how it behaved before, but have already forgotten :))

Once you have a results page the "Airline" dropdown is in the upper right. You can then select airline(s) and then delete the destination airport to get a map page with results restricted to that airline. Like everything else about the "New Coke" interface it's a degraded user experience in responsiveness and speed compared to before though :(

(Above comments apply to the desktop web interface; on a mobile web browser you get a more compact interface which seems to have an airline dropdown from the get-go although I haven't tried it out)

youranut Jun 24, 2018 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 29899395)
It still seems like it's possible -- there is still an "Airline" dropdown on the search results page -- the catch is that you have to perform an actual search and get flight results before you can narrow it down to a specific airline or alliance (I think that's how it behaved before, but have already forgotten :))

Once you have a results page the "Airline" dropdown is in the upper right. You can then select airline(s) and then delete the destination airport to get a map page with results restricted to that airline. Like everything else about the "New Coke" interface it's a degraded user experience in responsiveness and speed compared to before though :(

(Above comments apply to the desktop web interface; on a mobile web browser you get a more compact interface which seems to have an airline dropdown from the get-go although I haven't tried it out)

Thank you! You are a genius! It works just like it did before........ just had to know how to get to it.

Unfortunately I am an iPhone user so I don't get the actual mobile app. I get the mobile webpage but your instructions worked for it as well.

As for the "new coke" verdict I think I like it.......now. One thing I've noticed lately is that the map search is much better at displaying fares than it used to be. In the past I would zoom in on the Caribbean to see which destinations were cheap. Usually only about 10 or so locations would produce prices on the map, the rest you would actually have to search for. Now prices appear on almost all destinations when I zoom in. My only complaint now is that I have to zoom in to see the lowest fares. When I have the whole Caribbean in view the cheapest fares don't show.

Now if only google flights worked with southwest airlines........

BThumme Jun 25, 2018 8:14 am

I try to search the explore map ignoring ua basic fares, but the explore map only shows basic fares, even if I've selected "show fees with bags". Once the price changes and I go back to the map, it only shows the BE fares (unless the cheapest fare isn't B.E)

After spending 20 minutes, everything is just so slow. It's constantly loading it seems like. I have to search, then filter. I would much rather filter then search. Always feels like a 2 second or so response time for every input.

island82 Jun 25, 2018 11:18 am

anyone having issues with GF deeplinking to AA search results for itineraries that is not exUS? Searched for exAsia to US flights and when clicking on book with AA link I get:
"Connection to the MSE gateway failed"

RunningforMiles Jun 26, 2018 5:40 am

Originally Posted by island82 (Post 29904856)
anyone having issues with GF deeplinking to AA search results for itineraries that is not exUS? Searched for exAsia to US flights and when clicking on book with AA link I get:
"Connection to the MSE gateway failed"

Yes been getting the same for non-US sites, and “Something went wrong” for the US site. Also getting the same MSE gateway error using ITA Power Tools, but bookwithmatrix seems to be working linking to AA.

island82 Jun 26, 2018 6:29 am

Originally Posted by RunningforMiles (Post 29907606)

Yes been getting the same for non-US sites, and “Something went wrong” for the US site. Also getting the same MSE gateway error using ITA Power Tools, but bookwithmatrix seems to be working linking to AA.

Ok thanks, so Im not the only one. If only bookwithmatrix can be routed to the appropriate non-US AA sites instead of the US AA site...

RunningforMiles Jun 26, 2018 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by island82 (Post 29907723)
Ok thanks, so Im not the only one. If only bookwithmatrix can be routed to the appropriate non-US AA sites instead of the US AA site...

It doesn’t work every time but you can copy the bookwithmatrix provided AA booking link and then change the language and country codes at the very end of the url.

ralphs Jul 5, 2018 12:41 pm

Is there a Google Flights argument I can use to disallow redeyes?

Zorak Jul 5, 2018 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs (Post 29941617)
Is there a Google Flights argument I can use to disallow redeyes?

You can use the "Times" drop-down menu and sliders to narrow the departure/arrival timeframe to something desirable.