My beef with TripIt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My beef with TripIt

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC*SE
I like the free product myself..and signed up for the 30 day trial but missed cancelling it before the cut off. I don't find the pro version adds anything terribly useful.

This realtime monitoring of reservations that some people have described would be excellent! That would really solve my problems with it (and give value to the annual fee). Also, I wish I could add notes to the file bia my Blackberry - even just things like flight delays or a note to myself about good service. Being able to do that through the app would make recording any trip notes much easier.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by CdnFlier
This realtime monitoring of reservations that some people have described would be excellent! That would really solve my problems with it (and give value to the annual fee).
I've sent feedback to TripIt and they sound appreciative but not terribly interested in implementing it, though my latest email to them was received better than the initial one.

Also, it really sounds like they are not monitoring FlyerTalk or this thread. I encourage everyone who thinks this would be valuable to email your thoughts to them (and remind them they should become active in the FT community, since we are a huge potential user-base for them).

Last edited by jackal; Nov 16, 2010 at 10:07 pm
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:54 pm

Finally I gave TripIt a try on my android phone. My friend had been after me to try this out for the longest time and I caved in this afternoon.

The process on my android phone was easy and took only a few minutes. The fact that TripIt supports scanning my gmail for travel related emails and import data made it really easy.

All my future travel plans are now available on my phone. Just love it....I will do more posts on this topic as I start using it more. I read about issues /complaints which I know are valid but I guess TripIt has done a good job so far and hope they continue to improve their offering
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:43 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by wco81
They track fares or they monitor changes to a refundable fare that you've purchased and let you know so you can get the difference back>

Of course, if you buy the cheapest fares like many people do, you can't get any refunds for fare changes.
You need the PRO version. All my alerts have been on Alaska, which credits back the difference as an e-voucher. I'm not sure which other airlines it tracks.

QL
Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:31 pm

Got an offer to try TripIt Pro for free for a month...still trying to make up my mind.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:39 pm

TripCase works with ALL travel booking sources

Originally Posted by jackal
TripCase sounds like a good product, but it's only available for itineraries booked using SABRE (which owns it). I fly mainly AS and DL, neither of whose itineraries are viewable on SABRE.
Not true at all! TripCase is agnostic to booking source. If you book with a TripCase connected partner (like a Sabre agent and others), you can easily import your itinerary info into TripCase with just the six letter reservation code. If you book with any other source, simply forward your email confirmation to the TripCase trip email address and it will be automatically parsed and entered into your TripCase. As a final alternative, you can manually enter your reservation information into TripCase either online or on your smartphone.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by erikjwithak
Not true at all! TripCase is agnostic to booking source. If you book with a TripCase connected partner (like a Sabre agent and others), you can easily import your itinerary info into TripCase with just the six letter reservation code. If you book with any other source, simply forward your email confirmation to the TripCase trip email address and it will be automatically parsed and entered into your TripCase. As a final alternative, you can manually enter your reservation information into TripCase either online or on your smartphone.
I did discover that. However, it looks like it is doing the same thing as what TripIt does: just taking note of my currently-booked flights and monitoring those. I'll see if TripCase picks up on changes automatically if I have any changes to my itinerary...
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:11 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
The main thing that bugs me with tripit is i cant edit nor add any trips on the blackberry version (or I just don't know how) unlike the tripcase program which is important when I get rebooked (which happens often)
Old Dec 4, 2010, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Recently, I've been getting updates for the flights that I am taking, but they are being sent to me the day before departure..
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: MH Gold, IHG RA, SPG Gold, QF Silver, Hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by bnamike
I've figured out that when i sign into the TripIt website, go to Settings, and then the About Me section, there is a check box that reads "Auto-add maps & directions to my trips"

Once I unchecked that box, no more maps and directions added to the new itineraries created by TripIt..
Thanks for this, I asked Tripit almost 18 months ago to remove the maps and never heard back from them other than it'll be added to the list of enhancements.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
My only real issue with TripIt is the way it handles itineraries with multiple destinations. It simply does not work. This wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that it loves to automatically combine adjacent trips into a single trip. The city you're in doesn't get updated, your destination map doesn't get updated, your total traveled miles doesn't get updated. It's annoying.
This particular failing makes TripIt very difficult for me to use, since many of my trips involve multiple destinations. It's fine for simple roundtrips, but I really would appreciate its organization skills on the complex multi-city trips that it can't process unless it's fed the itinerary bit by bit.

I actually have the opposite problem on adjacent trips, though: merging trips never seems to work for me, since it thinks that I'm returning home (A-B-A-C) when I'm actually continuing a trip that's already in the system (A-B-C).

They're also missing out on some reporting that I'm sure their user base would appreciate. I moved over to TripIt from Dopplr, which has a lot of fun and nicely formatted data-visualization toys available for its users -- a traveler's "average speed," most common destinations, carbon footprint, an elegant map with circles sized by time spent at destination -- which are pretty simple computations.

As for not having print-outs, I once had an LHR immigration agent say something like "I appreciate that you have all that information on your phone, but if I was visiting your country I'd be sure to have it all printed out." Didn't make any sense (and I still don't print anything out), but it was pretty harsh.

Last edited by paytonc; Dec 7, 2010 at 7:50 pm
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: AC 25K, Wyndham Diamond, IHG Platinum
I love tripit- have used it for a couple of years and have never had to print anything out since then.

The only small issue I see is that sometimes my flight confirmation codes and/or my hotel addresses dont get logged- but I usually take a quick look the day before departure and put them in manually on the website if needed.

I am surprised to see problems with Singapore Airlines integration- I am on a trip right now which I booked with Singapore airlines and tripit worked fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.