My beef with TripIt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My beef with TripIt

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
Are you sure it wasn't the recently publicized summer time / daylight savings time bug in the iPhone?
I don't believe it was because the flight booking and flight were all during standard time, daylight saving came in a few days after the flight.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Been using the free version for about a year now, domestic and Europe with no problems. Even correctly added Eurostar reservations easily IIRC.

Good for what it does and I am very happy with it. Shows up fine on both my iPod Touch and Android phone no matter if I use the web site, phone or touch for inputs.

Cheers
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Free version has its bugs (as described in detail above) but is overall a good product that I enjoy using.

I signed up for the Pro trial at the beginning of October, since I had a month of heavy traveling and figured it'd be a good time to test it out.

Based on my experience, I would have canceled the trial at the end of the month, but unfortunately, TripIt got the best of me and I forgot to cancel and have since been charged for the annual fee. It's only $49, but still, I don't find enough value in the Pro features to make it worth the fee.

The biggest issue (and one I've brought up in an email conversation) is the lack of real-time itinerary monitoring. TripIt Pro monitors flights based on publicly-available flight status information (same thing you can see for yourself on FlightStats or FlightAware), which is fine...until you have a schedule change or are put on a different flight during IRROPS. That totally blows up TripIt, because it doesn't know when you are arriving or departing anymore and can't give you the info you need.

They really need to do what PageOnce/TripTracker does and actively monitor reservations, whether it's by saving your login information to the airline's website (as PageOnce/TripTracker does) or by using your confirmation number and name to access the itinerary (all airlines allow this, AFAIK).

I was planning on canceling my subscription until this very core functionality was implemented, but I guess TripIt got the best of me.

Other minor Pro annoyances are the alerts. Push alerts would be better; SMS is a bad (and potentially expensive) option when roaming. It also doesn't work onboard, whereas push alerts would work with onboard wifi.

Also, alerts and the app do not consistently show gate information, even among various flights on the same airline. Sometimes I can rely on the alert to tell me where my next gate is, and other times I've looked through my phone for the gate and ended up having to run to locate a bank of monitors to see where my flight is.

I like the Facebook integration, since it allows friends who are in other cities to see when I'm visiting and has facilitated meet-ups, but it's a bit buggy, especially when TripIt misinterprets a trip. I've apparently made plans to visit my own home city several times.

All of these are minor, though. Getting TripIt to monitor itineraries directly from the airlines will ensure I renew my subscription. Otherwise, I'll most likely be discontinuing it after my year is up, and if I can find a way out of it before then and get some of my money back, I likely will.

TripCase sounds like a good product, but it's only available for itineraries booked using SABRE (which owns it). I fly mainly AS and DL, neither of whose itineraries are viewable on SABRE.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Slightly off-topic, but has anyone ever tried to complete a trip only on the information stored in trip-it? I dislike carrying bundles of print-outs and would rather just store everything in my Android phone with the Trip-it app. It seems too me that a simple print-out should be no more legitimate than the data on a screen you present to airline agents, security etc.
Every single trip for the past few years!

The only time I take anything other than a printout from TripIt is when there's something like a barcode on the original confirmation (eg, Alamo) or for international flight confirmations in case I get asked at immigration.

The international flight confirmations probably aren't needed, but fit into the "better safe than sorry" category.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
I've been using Tripit free for about a year and a half and I love it. I usually travel without a printout of my itinerary, though I do make the printout to hand in with my expense reports. I've probably been in a dozen time zones this year and Tripit has gotten it all correct (turn on Time Zone Support in iCal; no problems on an iPhone).
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
The only problems I really have with Tripit is they don't change my seat assignments after upgrade (thanks for the tip about turning off maps) but the last few days it no longer syncs with my calendar and I do find that annoying. Tried resetting it and still no luck.

Any ideas?

I do get SMS and email alerts on any changes and way before the airline contacts me which is great when you are still on board and can make changes before you land.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
The only problems I really have with Tripit is they don't change my seat assignments after upgrade (thanks for the tip about turning off maps) but the last few days it no longer syncs with my calendar and I do find that annoying. Tried resetting it and still no luck.

Any ideas?.
I had this issue with my current trip. The sync didn't update until I manually added a non-related event to my calendar.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
That's related to the issue I posted about above. They do not monitor your itinerary in real-time, so they have no way of knowing when things (seats, flight numbers, etc.) change.

This is a MAJOR shortfall that needs to be addressed.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
I had this issue with my current trip. The sync didn't update until I manually added a non-related event to my calendar.
I tried that and it didn't work. But I added it as a seperate calendar on my gmail account and then emailed the link to my email and then from my IPAD and Iphone was able to subscribe to the feeds. Don't know if this are now going to show up in duplicate, but it was quite amazing to watch my empty calendar update on all 3 calendars at the same time. Now all the free time I was hoping I had is now gone!!

Thanks so much for your help, it was so frustrating!!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by jackal
They do not monitor your itinerary in real-time, so they have no way of knowing when things (seats, flight numbers, etc.) change.

This is a MAJOR shortfall that needs to be addressed.

+1

for a paid service this really needs to be handled.

Last edited by lewinr; Nov 15, 2010 at 10:54 am
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:39 pm
Original Member

I get the most value from the calendar sync...my Outlook automatically forwards my confirmations and then they sync to my and my girlfriend's iPhone.

Agree that realtime monitoring of seat assignments is needed. They monitor fares, which is great! I've already made back much more than the cost of my subscription. And my biggest peeve, they don't get that reservation changes are not new reservations, and end up duplicating instead of modifying.

QL
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by QuietLion
I get the most value from the calendar sync...my Outlook automatically forwards my confirmations and then they sync to my and my girlfriend's iPhone.

Agree that realtime monitoring of seat assignments is needed. They monitor fares, which is great! I've already made back much more than the cost of my subscription. And my biggest peeve, they don't get that reservation changes are not new reservations, and end up duplicating instead of modifying.

QL
They track fares or they monitor changes to a refundable fare that you've purchased and let you know so you can get the difference back>

Of course, if you buy the cheapest fares like many people do, you can't get any refunds for fare changes.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by QuietLion

QL
I've been using TripIt for more than a year, and I have NEVER received anything about getting money back. How do I make sure that I receive warning about this?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
They track fares or they monitor changes to a refundable fare that you've purchased and let you know so you can get the difference back>

Of course, if you buy the cheapest fares like many people do, you can't get any refunds for fare changes.
Actually, some airlines do allow you to claim some money back (usually in the form of a voucher) if the fare drops, even on restricted fare classes. Alaska and (IIRC) JetBlue allow it unlimited times for free, while other airlines charge the change fee for claiming the refund (which means it's only worth it if the fare drops more than the change fee). Details on which airlines do what here: http://www.yapta.com/airline-refunds/

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I've been using TripIt for more than a year, and I have NEVER received anything about getting money back. How do I make sure that I receive warning about this?
I've never received a notice from TripIt, either, but IIRC, they partner with Yapta. Not sure how the integration works, though, since I've always just tracked my stuff directly with Yapta.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: Mariott Plat, *wood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K
I use the free version, and while there are bugs that do annoy me, like Tripits inability to detect what city I will be staying in properly on some of my more complex itineraries, I find that for the price (FREE) the feature set of being able to check my travel on mobile is unparalleled.

As I don't pay for it, the quirks that are annoying, I write off as a cost of using the service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.