Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My beef with TripIt

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
But how long will there be a free version if not enough people upgrade to the Pro version?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bnamike
I've figured out that when i sign into the TripIt website, go to Settings, and then the About Me section, there is a check box that reads "Auto-add maps & directions to my trips"

Once I unchecked that box, no more maps and directions added to the new itineraries created by TripIt..
BNAMIKE

Hey - thanks. I've searched for that capability and never found it. Even e-mail TripIt to suggest and they never pointed it out.

Also, let me complement you on pointing out something you knew without it being a sarcastic flame. Appreciated and very civil - you set a good example!

Jiri
Old Nov 8, 2010, 6:46 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bnamike
I've figured out that when i sign into the TripIt website, go to Settings, and then the About Me section, there is a check box that reads "Auto-add maps & directions to my trips"
+1 Thank you.

-David
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:01 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
I love TripIt, but I've never relied on it for weather info and I rarely use the website. I guess the issues you have never really affected me. It's worked perfectly with my company's corporate travel for every itinerary I've thrown at it. I've even sent MegaBus and Amtrak reservations to it.

My only real issue with TripIt is the way it handles itineraries with multiple destinations. It simply does not work. This wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that it loves to automatically combine adjacent trips into a single trip. The city you're in doesn't get updated, your destination map doesn't get updated, your total traveled miles doesn't get updated. It's annoying.

On the whole, I rarely look at airline websites anymore for itinerary information.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:51 pm

I think the alternative others have alluded to in this thread might be TripCase. TripCase is the competitive app that provides flight alerts (delays, cancellations, gate changes) as a part of the free product.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:19 pm

I did not allude to that one when I mentioned competitors but I think it would be useful if somebody put together a brief list of the options with a basic comparison. I wish I could do it but I only have experience with TripIt (so far...)
Old Nov 10, 2010, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold, QPPS, CX, DJ, SG, AA, NH
Well, TripIt have responded officially to the points I've raised (see their comment at the link(. Sadly, I don't think their VP for Product has dug deeper into comments made on threads discussing it.

Here's a full copy of Will Aldrich's full response;

Michael,

Thanks for all your feedback, both in this blog post and in your TripIt helpdesk tickets. We appreciate the effort you've put into sending us detailed explanations of how you're using TripIt and the problems you've encountered. This kind of feedback is incredibly important to our team and we don't take it for granted. Many features we've built into TripIt have been inspired by exactly this kind of feedback.

I'd like to address the points you raise in the post.

1) I'll start with your point that "Removing features degrades experience" in which you take issue with the way we've changed the ability to edit weather locations. You point out that TripIt often guesses wrong about what location you'll be in, and then shows you the wrong weather (i.e. Perth vs. Singapore). You also note that fixing location by changing "weather location" has been removed and there's no timeframe for when it'll be back. Here's why. We've been evaluating a pretty big change to our architecture that would make TripIt faster. It would require a change in how we handle locations and weather. Since most folks don't use the "change your location by editing your weather" feature today we've been suppressing it on a trial basis. I'm sorry you've been inconvenienced by it. Bottom line, we can (and will) do better at guessing the location of your plans over time, which will obviate the need for using this clunky workaround in the first place.

2) Singapore Airlines confirmations don't work, even though the airline is on TripIt's list of supported sites
We know there are problems with Singapore Airlines' PDFs, and we mentioned this in our response in the ticket you filed with us. We do support other confirmation formats from Singapore. In your post, you take our helpdesk staff to task for closing your ticket without resolving it. I looked into the issue and it seems that our rep Ruth had asked you to check something on the Singapore site. After we didn't hear back for 28 days, our system automatically closed the ticket. We'd be happy to keep working the issue with you if you like. I'm going to look at our policy of auto-closing tickets after 28 days of inactivity. I can't promise we're going to change this (it's been working ok for almost a year) but we are already discussing it internally.
NB: This is incorrect, there was no request for further information after their first response. A copy of the booking, in three different formats supplied by SQ were supplied to TripIt via their support system. They did not investigate the issue further.

3) Time zone issues are challenging. Yes, RFC2445 has been around since November 1998, but most major PIMs (Outlook, iCal, Google Calendar, etc.) have only added iCalendar feed support in the last five to seven years and they handle time zone rules differently. As you might expect, big vendors change their implementations from one release to another, which making things even murkier. For example, Outlook supports floating time zones. Google Calendar initially did too, but then stopped supporting them in April 2009 without warning. iCal 3 for Mac works great with TripIt's calendar feeds. iCal 4 does not. In this environment, developers like TripIt (and the travelers who rely on us) have to choose between unappealing alternatives. We've been taking a wait-and-see approach on changing our iCal feed format since making a change prematurely could cause chaos for a lot of people.

As to your point about TripIt having crazy dropdowns for picking a time zone for a reservation, I agree! We've got some work to do. We're actively working now to refine all our data entry forms (a big effort that goes way beyond time zone selection) so hopefully there'll be improvement on this front soon. Will there be a shorter dropdown? Not immediately. But the improvements we're building now will save a lot of headaches for all our users right off the bat. Once implemented, they'll make it easier for us to consider fancier things like guessing what time zone your plan should be in, based on its location.

4) Maintain user defaults: Expand/collapse doesn't persist from one pageview to the next. You've pointed out a shortcoming of our service that annoys me and many of us at TripIt. We haven't chosen to address it yet because we've got a long priority list and it hasn't risen to the top yet. We'll get to it, but I don't know when.

5) "Why do you bombard me with advertising?"
Advertising is an important part of TripIt's business. We're passionate about the mission we're on to improve the travel experience over the long term, and we must generate revenue in order to sustain our efforts. That said, we are constantly working to deliver a great user experience that world-class travel brands can also participate in. If you're a Pro user, you see ads on the Web and in some emails (fewer ads than free users do), but you don't see any ads in our iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry apps.

I hope this helps clarify where we stand on the issues you raised. I'm happy to talk further. Meanwhile, let us know if you want to delve further into your Singapore Airlines issue. I'm grateful for your feedback, and appreciate your patronage as a TripIt Pro subscriber. We're working hard to continually improve TripIt, and your feedback inspires us to do better.

Will Aldrich
VP Product
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
I've used the free version for more than a year. I think it is great. Having all my data for a trip in 1 place has been very helpful. My only personal bad experiences are trains. Except for Amtrak, it doesn't seem to know what to do with European rail ticket confirmations including DB and SJ (Swedish rail)
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:03 am

Well I have to give it to Tripit's Will Aldritch that his response is fairly self-critical. While there's the usual grating of "working on it" and "we are aware of this issue" I think that overall he's not making any real brush-away excuses.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:31 am

I really like TripIt but I too get frustrated with a lot of features. I can't figure out how to do things I used to be able to do, like edit the city I am in, etc.

TripIt is also really bad, as someone mentioned, at multi-city trips. For someone like me that often goes on one-ways from one place to the next, I need to use workarounds in TripIt which is annoying.

I too have found them unresponsive to suggestions/requests. I've submitted at least 30 reports (1 for every stay) of problem with one hotel booking site and they just never fix it.

That said, I love the ability to download an entire trip onto my iphone and go, even when I don't have roaming. I used this for 9 months of travel with no SIM card in my phone, I'd just get my itinerary onto the phone when I had wifi and never printed anything out. Really handy.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:00 am

It's interesting to see what high expectations people have from a free service. I find Tripit's capabilities helpful and pretty amazing. I used to build my own itineraries in a single word document, it was a pain! But for years now, I've just been subscribing to my Tripit calendar feed, or maybe I print out the itin. for complex trips. Once, my printed Tripit itinerary was sufficient to get me past security at LHR. And as for the OP's concerns:
Originally Posted by cordelli
Honestly, I find the drop down box on the website you go to after you link to the other thread way more irritating than any of those issues. None of them really have ever bothered me.
+1. Finally, I don't need the "Pro" capabilities, but if Tripit went to a paid-only model, maybe $10-$20 /year, I'd sign up for it. But they should lock me in, as others seem to be catching up.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How does TripIt use location services anyways?

It would be smart if it detects your location and adjusts the time zone automatically. Or just get the clock from the system.

Then send you alerts for the items you have in the itinerary based on the local time.

But no push notifications, as far as I can see. Looks like they will send you SMS if you upgrade to Pro.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Slightly off-topic, but has anyone ever tried to complete a trip only on the information stored in trip-it? I dislike carrying bundles of print-outs and would rather just store everything in my Android phone with the Trip-it app. It seems too me that a simple print-out should be no more legitimate than the data on a screen you present to airline agents, security etc.
I used it for a 5 week Japan/Europe/Hong Kong trip I just completed. All went fine until I trusted the time of a flight which it managed to screw up (6:30pm flight, it had it as 7:30pm - on the website it was correct, on the phone it was incorrect). Missed checkin by about 5 minutes, was rebooked but the hotel for that night was, well, it was a very full night in London so it was a hell of a lot. Until they can sort out the timezone issues I won't be using it again.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:45 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by IMOA
I used it for a 5 week Japan/Europe/Hong Kong trip I just completed. All went fine until I trusted the time of a flight which it managed to screw up (6:30pm flight, it had it as 7:30pm - on the website it was correct, on the phone it was incorrect). Missed checkin by about 5 minutes, was rebooked but the hotel for that night was, well, it was a very full night in London so it was a hell of a lot. Until they can sort out the timezone issues I won't be using it again.
Are you sure it wasn't the recently publicized summer time / daylight savings time bug in the iPhone?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Slightly off-topic, but has anyone ever tried to complete a trip only on the information stored in trip-it? I dislike carrying bundles of print-outs and would rather just store everything in my Android phone with the Trip-it app. It seems too me that a simple print-out should be no more legitimate than the data on a screen you present to airline agents, security etc.
i have been using trip-it all year. Traveling every week, i only use Trip-it via my blackberry. Never need to print anything out. Occasionally i do have to fix imports via the website(sometimes it imports usairways flights as continental). otherwise all my info is right there and easily accessible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.