Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best netbook or laptop for backpacking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2009, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Best netbook or laptop for backpacking

I have looked at a lot of the other threads, but was hoping you might be willing to give me some suggestions.

I am going backpacking for 6-12 months but will be doing a lot of writing while I am travelling. Will also be Skyping, email, photos. I'm not doing any adventure travel, but I do expect that my backpack will be getting thrown around a bit.

What I need:

--long battery life
--keyboard that is usable for writing
--durable (does this mean I need a SSD?)

I'm shying away from a laptop because I think I'd be too stressed out about it breaking or getting stolen because they are so expensive! But I'm worried that a netbook will be too uncomfortable to type on.

I'm going to be in the US for a few days and hope to buy one there because the prices are so much better. Any suggestions for machines I should look at?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Lot's of deals on for the Acer Aspire w/ extended battery (around $300-$400). I have been using one to supplement my rather heavy laptop and really like it.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Any of the older 9" models (w/6 cell battery) are being sold off, cheap.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:41 am
Original Poster

I can't imagine writing for an extended period of time on a 9" though?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Any of the older 9" models (w/6 cell battery) are being sold off, cheap.

I'm using this one, which has a 10.1 inch screen and is $379.00 with the 6 cell battery and ext. CDD from Costco.com.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by giblet
I can't imagine writing for an extended period of time on a 9" though?
Why not? I use one as my primary computer and have for the past 8 months. All of my writing happens on it. And I write a fair amount. It serves my needs and is great for its small size.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I would suggest using a SSD. The 32GB size is very reasonable now. Some of the older netbooks used 8GB and they are too small. 32GB can hold a reasonable amount of pictures as long as they are not in RAW.

Regardless, carry a 2nd 32GB SD or CF card and make a backup copy of your work and pictures as you go along.

Set your power manager to the lowest setting and the computer will run longer on batteries. Versions using Atom will probably run lower power than Celeron.

Small notebooks will be more expensive than netbooks but the Lenovo X61/X60/X41/X40 have 4x3 screens and better for writing than wide screens.

Last edited by SJUAMMF; Aug 23, 2009 at 11:37 am
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:11 pm

I have a Samsung NC10....I love it.......I want to have its babies. Chips off the old block?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Avios
As mentioned in another post...why not the Dell Inspiron 11Z?

It has a great price point...~399.

Has outstanding capability.

Large drive.

Weight of only ~3 lbs. vs. netbook of 2.7lbs...

IMHO if I were thinking about a travel friendly computer I would have to SERIOUSLY consider the Dell...^
Old Aug 23, 2009, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

backseatflyer: how many hours of battery life do you get on your love interest (Samsung NC10)?

ddschur: The Dell Inspiron 11Z looks great, except I've read it will get 2-3 hours of battery life. I'm probably not going to have access to power more than once a day so that's not going to be enough.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 2:52 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The newer Samsung N110 gets very good reviews. I've just ordered one.

It's got a better trackpad than the NC10, and an extended battery life of up to 9 hours.

I got it for about $370 on Amazon.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Hmm...it looks like the Samsung NC120 is the same price and it has a full size keyboard. This might be the one for me!
Old Aug 24, 2009, 4:20 pm

Programs: I am a lowly ant
I have a Compaq Mini 700. Very sturdy, perfect for travelling. Only a 3-cell battery though, so battery life not too long.

The trade-off is it weighs only 1kg, versus about 1.3kg for the longer life products. The extra 300 grams is worth it though, because you get double the battery life.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 6:04 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by giblet
Hmm...it looks like the Samsung NC120 is the same price and it has a full size keyboard. This might be the one for me!
I got the N110 today, and I'm typing this on it!

First impressions are very favourable.

Keyboard is pretty good, screen is nice and bright/sharp. Trackpad is also good (the main failing of the NC10 was the trackpad according to reviews).

I've upgraded it to 2GB RAM, and I'm currently installing Office 2007.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Sep 22, 2009, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Just an update. I got the Samsung NC120. Full size keyboard and battery life is clocking in around 6-7 hours. Got it for $350 on Amazon in the US. Couldn't be more delighted!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.