Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Thanks good to know.

IIRC it wants access to your address book.

It would be nice if it maintained its own addressbook that would sync across devices.

Then I might be inclined to set up entries in the WA-specific address book on the desktop to access on the phone.

I guess Skype gives you that functionality or at least it used to, who knows what changes MS has been making. But nobody uses Skype like they used to. One thing which would help is if they auto-created accounts using your phone number like WA, so that you don't have to create a separate Skype account, which is now a Microsoft account that you have to create.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by wco81
Who knew there was a desktop version of WA?
I've been using the Mac version for years and love it. A full keyboard and the ease of cutting and pasting things from other windows is so valuable I would pay for it if they charged. But thanks for the hack notice. I looked at it and it doesn't really apply to me, but it's good to know.
Xyzzy and tentseller like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:54 pm

is there a way to put Whatsapp on 2 mobile devices with the same account ?

I have a couple phones one is USA and the other is for International use, 2 sims and 2 numbers

I know Whatsapp uses a phone number but can it be set to do the above ?

Thanks for the info
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I don't know if it supports that configuration.

But certainly could suggest that to FB I guess.

It's not uncommon and now with more dual-SIM phones or phones with both a physical SIM slot and support for eSIM, you'd think it would be more common configuration.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
is there a way to put Whatsapp on 2 mobile devices with the same account ?
Two mobile devices that share the same number, yes. But not if they each have a unique telephone number as Whatsapp is tied to the number. Skype can work with that sort of arrangement as it is not tied to the number.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:06 pm

its not i love whatsapp , it is just that you need to contact people and thats how its done these days ,

Could you use a Google number ? or go thru a web browser and not the whatapp "app"
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Could you use a Google number ? or go thru a web browser and not the whatapp "app"
Sorry no. If you want it to work on two devices simultaneously you will have two Whatsapp identities. You can use group chat and include your two identities to talk to another person if that helps.

Or what I do is switch back and forth between my US phone and my Euro phone as I fly back and forth across the Atlantic. As soon as I land, I register my Whatsapp identity with the other phone.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by stimpy
Sorry no. If you want it to work on two devices simultaneously you will have two Whatsapp identities. You can use group chat and include your two identities to talk to another person if that helps.

Or what I do is switch back and forth between my US phone and my Euro phone as I fly back and forth across the Atlantic. As soon as I land, I register my Whatsapp identity with the other phone.
Hong Kong and Toronto Canada as well for me. New people can still WA me with my Canadian number when I am in HK and vice versa.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by wco81
Thanks good to know.

IIRC it wants access to your address book.

It would be nice if it maintained its own addressbook that would sync across devices.

Then I might be inclined to set up entries in the WA-specific address book on the desktop to access on the phone.

I guess Skype gives you that functionality or at least it used to, who knows what changes MS has been making. But nobody uses Skype like they used to. One thing which would help is if they auto-created accounts using your phone number like WA, so that you don't have to create a separate Skype account, which is now a Microsoft account that you have to create.
I use Google contacts on my BB Key 2 and the same contact list is in my desktop when I sign in to google for my mail, etc.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I use WhatsApp extensively because I've got family in Germany and co-workers in India. It currently is THE defacto standard for cross-platform / international chatting (except in the USA where nobody uses it). My european/indian contacts ALL have whatsapp already installed, making it the most expedient way to reach them. That said, I've got NUMEROUS complaints about the app as is:
  • Overall, Whatsapp feels dated like a 2013 app, with no significant improvements coming since the introduction of video calling.
  • Video calls don't properly work on iPhone. If you get a video call your iPhone lock screen may show a notification, but once you unlock, there is no indication of what app is ringing... you have to manually navigate to whatsapp. Meanwhile, Audio calls behave as expected leveraging Apple's callkit.
  • WhatsApp compresses the Bejesus out of all photos/videos. This should be optional for people with unlimited data. I STRONGLY prefer iMessage for sending media.
  • No disappearing messages. Signal has the option for messages to self-destruct / auto delete after some time. As someone who is constantly traveling across international borders, I'd prefer this as an option.
  • Gifs don't auto-play. The whole point of a "Reaction" gif is for it to auto play. EVERY other program in the universe other than whatsapp auto-plays them.
  • There is no simple "tapback" type reaction to a message. iMessage or facebook messenger allows you to simply select a message you received and apply a thumbs up, smile etc. Easy way to acknowledge without a formal response.
  • WHY are WhatsApp and Facebook messenger still on different platforms? MANY of my US contacts are on facebook messenger, I DO NOT want to have to download two apps to talk to people. As one company, why can't facebook just merge these, or let them inter-operate already?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Video calls don't properly work on iPhone. If you get a video call your iPhone lock screen may show a notification, but once you unlock, there is no indication of what app is ringing... you have to manually navigate to whatsapp. Meanwhile, Audio calls behave as expected leveraging Apple's callkit.
I have that problem with ALL WhatsApp calls on Andrid. It was SUPER annoying at first but now that I know this is the only app to behave in this fashion I can usually answer calls before the caller gives up.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I use WhatsApp extensively because I've got family in Germany and co-workers in India. It currently is THE defacto standard for cross-platform / international chatting (except in the USA where nobody uses it).
What does everybody use in the US these days?

As you said, it's used extensively in other parts of the world. I can't think of anybody I know (that has a smart phone) that doesn't use it!

I have the desktop version installed on all my Macs and PCs. It's great app.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WHY are WhatsApp and Facebook messenger still on different platforms? MANY of my US contacts are on facebook messenger, I DO NOT want to have to download two apps to talk to people. As one company, why can't facebook just merge these, or let them inter-operate already?
No! I don't want anything to do with Facebook. It is bad enough that they own Whatsapp. Just leave it as is please. I use iMessage to communicate with people in the US and Whatsapp for the rest of the world. This works very well.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
People use a variety of apps. I like Signal. One of my kids insists on Telegram. There are thers, too.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA

As you said, it's used extensively in other parts of the world. I can't think of anybody I know (that has a smart phone) that doesn't use it!

I have the desktop version installed on all my Macs and PCs. It's great app.
I think most people still uses regular sms/mms messages (or iMessage) here in US. I only use Whatsapp with my family because they are scattered all over the globe and not everyone got iPhone for iMessage. However when I have to talk to my coworkers, my pool guy, my gardener, my handyman, etc... I use sms.

My kid uses Discord. I think it is an app preferred by gamers.
DYKWIA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.