Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

iPhone-compatible car stereo recommendation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone-compatible car stereo recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum
to follow up on my own post

after much online searching of options, I got an Alpine IDA-X305 head unit (a new 2009 model for Alpine) installed today. My first impressions are very positive, the UI for playing back iPod content works well and it works seamlessly with both my 1st generation Nano and my 3G iPhone, both for charging and playback.

I miss the lack of radio preset buttons, but I couldn't find anything with as nice an iPod interface AND radio buttons at the same time. Apparently hard buttons aren't "in" any more.

If my impressions change after more experience, I'll post another message to this thread, but so far I'd give the Alpine a definite thumbs up.

Bob
Old Mar 27, 2009, 9:39 pm

uhm, yeah, that was one of the Alpine units I suggested you look at.

that was quick So, tell us how the phone part of the iphone works with it? Did you get the optional mic kit? Where did they end up running the cable? Cradled or hidden?

Did you abandon the cd changer, or is that wired in also? Did you get any other optional add-ons?

-David
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
uhm, yeah, that was one of the Alpine units I suggested you look at.

that was quick So, tell us how the phone part of the iphone works with it? Did you get the optional mic kit? Where did they end up running the cable? Cradled or hidden?

Did you abandon the cd changer, or is that wired in also? Did you get any other optional add-ons?

-David
Your feedback definitely helped narrow my search. I didn't get the bluetooth add on, or any other extras, so no CD changer anymore, just the head unit. The iPod cable runs down from the back of the unit and into a cubbyhole slot just below the head unit, so it's nicely hidden.

The iPhone works well. The head unit lets me browse thru songs/artists/playlists using almost the same UI (driven by a scroll wheel) as an actual iPod. Also, I no longer get interference when the phone is connecting to a new cell site, which was a real problem with a cassette adapter driven off the headphone jack.

When a call comes in, the stereo mutes automatically as the ringing starts, and I can answer it using my bluetooth headset without disconnecting anything.

Really a nice setup. The bluetooth/speakerphone add-on might be nice, but at $150 I think it's WAY overpriced. The only thing I miss is hard buttons for the radio presets, but I'll trade that for a good iPod UI any day.

thanks again for all the tips,
Bob
Old Mar 28, 2009, 3:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess the alpine won't display the address book on the display? (to make calls.) Or does it?

Have you tried searching in the various search modes? (by artist or by album, etc). That's a complicated process on mine.

I can't imagine that you will miss the cd changer. I never ever use the cd player on my unit, and radio is pretty bad here, so I really almost never listen to the radio either.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Mar 28, 2009 at 3:43 pm
Old Mar 28, 2009, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Thanks for the feedback.

I guess the alpine won't display the address book on the display? (to make calls.) Or does it?

Have you tried searching in the various search modes? (by artist or by album, etc). That's a complicated process on mine.

I can't imagine that you will miss the cd changer. I never ever use the cd player on my unit, and radio is pretty bad here, so I really almost never listen to the radio either.

-David
Haven't tried searching yet. I believe the Alpine does display the address book IF you buy the Bluetooth add-on, but since I wasn't interested in paying that much I didn't investigate it much.

bob
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:43 pm

I bought an adapter from usaspec for my Ford. It plugged into the changer control spot on the back. It works ok, not the greatest, but works. usaspec.com website appears to be programmed and spell checked by monkeys, but the product is alright... much cheaper than buying a new head unit.

My main goal was theft avoidance. A stock HU draws no attention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.