Community
Wiki Posts
Search

connecting a wireless router to your hotel ethernet connection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2008, 3:20 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by bdjohns1
Seems kind of fishy that hotels would try and block you based on the MAC address you present - what if you have a laptop that has a Linksys or D-Link PC Card Ethernet adapter?
Still a lot of hotels out there which are pretty slimy by advertising free internet & blocking access to SMTP servers, torrents, even standard VPN ports. It's in their best interests to restrict our bandwidth use. Found an old post about a FTer who couldn't get his/her VoIP router going without spoofing the MAC.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...t=mac+spoofing

AFAIK Linksys, D-Link, etc. don't make laptop cards (I could be very wrong though) although they are huge in the aftermarket ISA/PCI bus arena for desktops. Realtek seems to be the 800 lb gorilla in the laptop market along with the OEMs who integrate the ethernet interface into their mobos.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA/*A nobody, Bonvoy Plat, SW A-list, Hertz 5* (but who isn't???)
Originally Posted by DLB404
Interesting thread but I have a question. If a hotel room has Ethernet access typically at the desk, what is the need to create your own wireless set up? Aren't you still sitting at the desk 99.9% of time?
So I can sit on the bed and work. The desk-based ethernet cables are typically quite short and I don't bother carrying a longer ethernet cable with me. Also I can use my iPhone simultaneously on the wifi for better performance there. I use an Apple Airport Express and am quite pleased with the performance and simplicity.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:22 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Have a linksys travel router. Love everything about it except the fact that you cannot manually specify ethernet speed/duplex. On a few occasions, this has left me in a grind when the hub/switch at the hotel would not properly autonegotiate. Other than that minor quibble, it's fantastic for all of the reasons mentioned above.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by DLB404
Interesting thread but I have a question. If a hotel room has Ethernet access typically at the desk, what is the need to create your own wireless set up? Aren't you still sitting at the desk 99.9% of time?
I bring a router with me when sharing a room so that multiple computers can access via the same connection.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

it would be nice to have a router that can work off a USB wireless EVDO/GPRS modem or a wired connection, and that sets up wifi. Is there such a beast?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:26 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, Hilton Diamond, ICH Platinum
Originally Posted by richard
it would be nice to have a router that can work off a USB wireless EVDO/GPRS modem or a wired connection, and that sets up wifi. Is there such a beast?
I stand corrected there are decent uses for BYO wireless to a hotel.

Richard for your question there are a number of devices that convert EVDO or other Broadband card to 802.xx wireless. This is the one I use in vacation homes, relatives homes etc, when traveling with spouse and kids and there is no high speed wireless. Works well as long as speed limitations are anticipated.

http://shopper.cnet.com/routers/link...-32092813.html
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:00 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2-Million Miler, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat, EVA Gold
I have traveled in the past with a Netgear travel router and bought a D-link after that went dodgy. On a couple of occasions recently, I have encountered situations where the hotel authorization system wanted to charge me for additional connections for another laptop, PDA, etc. Is anyone aware of any way to work around this? Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Clone the MAC address of the laptop you use to the Dlink router. I think that should help your situation.

Originally Posted by Sierra Kilo
I have traveled in the past with a Netgear travel router and bought a D-link after that went dodgy. On a couple of occasions recently, I have encountered situations where the hotel authorization system wanted to charge me for additional connections for another laptop, PDA, etc. Is anyone aware of any way to work around this? Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:47 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I'm hardly ever at the desk working. I prefer to be in a comfy chair or on the bed. If I've scored a nice SPG suite then perhaps on the couch. I have been traveling with a travel router for 3 years. First it was a Terayon freebie my travel coordinator gave me. When that bit the dust I bought a D-Link DWL-G730AP and it has made me very happy. I always clone the MAC as I've had trouble before with the 'multiple computer charges' in the past. Especially in Australia where I've also run into the 'charges for each time you connect to the network'

Recently I was at a trade show. We bought an internet connection but when the COO showed up he needed to check mail as well. No problem, just hook up the travel router and multiple people in the booth can check their email.

We also use them for demos. Recently I ran a demo with the following setup:

1) Thinkpad with a VPC running our server product.
2) Panasonic Toughbook CF-U1
3) Dell Axiom
4) Panasonic wireless projector

Everything was connected through the DWL-G730AP. The projector was very cool as it could project multiple screens at a time. So I could have the different screens up on the wall and show the interaction between them.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Another vote for the D-Link unit. It works "out of the box", a boon to the setup-challenged like me
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:39 pm

Still using and loving my $13 Linksys WTR54GS. Too bad the model was discontinued early this year; I don't think anything else beats it for compactness and ease of use. I especially like the fact that its AC power supply is built-in; push the slider to extend the AC plug and the unit hangs off an electrical outlet like a wall-wart

EDIT: They still seem to be easy enough to find on eBay . . .
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:43 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by PorkRind
Still using and loving my $13 Linksys WTR54GS. Too bad the model was discontinued early this year; I don't think anything else beats it for compactness and ease of use. I especially like the fact that its AC power supply is built-in; push the slider to extend the AC plug and the unit hangs off an electrical outlet like a wall-wart

The only downside I see to this model is when the sockets are in hard to reach areas this until takes up a good deal of space and is not really as flexible as the external ACs are.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
The only downside I see to this model is when the sockets are in hard to reach areas this until takes up a good deal of space and is not really as flexible as the external ACs are.
Hasn't proven to be a significant issue for me, and I think the compactness makes up for it.

It's worked flawlessly as well.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

is there one wirelss AP/router that can plug into the ethernet connection, OR that works with a USB wireless modem if there is no ethernet connection?
Old Dec 10, 2008, 4:22 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Zarf4
One thing I've found at a few hotels is that they check if the manufacturer part of the MAC address (first three bytes) is assigned to: Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, or one of the major router companies they won't allow you on. Just spoof the MAC addy in the router with the first three bytes of your laptop MAC & make up entries for the last three bytes and all will work fine.
I wish this tread had started earlier! My Netgear travel router failed me (for the first time ever) at the IC Bali this past weekend. Their wired Internet worked fine when attached to my laptop but failed to respond at all when attached to my wireless router. Same wireless router/laptop worked fine at 2 other hotels, so I know it wasn't the hardware. I spent a good amount of time troubleshooting this but didn't think to spoof the MAC address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.