Community
Wiki Posts
Search

connecting a wireless router to your hotel ethernet connection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2008, 5:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Apple's Airport Express is what I travel with.
Me too.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, Marriott LT PLT
Originally Posted by yosithezet
The only downside I see to this model is when the sockets are in hard to reach areas this until takes up a good deal of space and is not really as flexible as the external ACs are.
This is one reason why I like the Airport Express. It's power supply is built-in, but I can swap the fold-out adapter for a longer cable if necessary for tight spaces.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:06 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by boxedlunch
This is one reason why I like the Airport Express. It's power supply is built-in, but I can swap the fold-out adapter for a longer cable if necessary for tight spaces.
Yeah, this is definitely the way to go. The only problem I have with the Airport over the D-Link is the cost. I'm a huge Apple fan otherwise.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 7:38 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Yeah, this is definitely the way to go. The only problem I have with the Airport over the D-Link is the cost. I'm a huge Apple fan otherwise.
I got one of the older ones (b/g only, not n), for $50 at a Circuit City liquidation, but that was more to get the iTunes streaming capability to my family room.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
I also have one of the Linksys ones and love the built-in power supply. I can easily attach a plug adapter, if necessary and it auto-switches the voltages.

An additional benefit of MAC spoofing is the ability to use your PC to logon to whatever network you are using and then reconnect using the router. I have found that sometimes the router will not be detected (or perhaps rejected?) by the server, and hence you do not get the login screen on the PC when connected (either hard wire, or wireless) through the router.

Since I have spoofed the MAC, I have not had any problems using it all over the world, except for the need to occasionally do as I recommended above.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Hi guys, I got some question here. How do you use those portable routers with hotel who provide internet access through wifi which we connect into the network using our internet browser? I prefer not to pay for 2 charges just because I'm using my work laptop and my macbook at the same day or having to work exclusively on one laptop.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Originally Posted by 9Benua
Hi guys, I got some question here. How do you use those portable routers with hotel who provide internet access through wifi which we connect into the network using our internet browser? I prefer not to pay for 2 charges just because I'm using my work laptop and my macbook at the same day or having to work exclusively on one laptop.
Assuming you clone the MAC address to the router, once you log in using, say your work laptop, that is the only connection that the hotel will see. The router will then provide an internal IP address for your laptop, Macbook, PDA, or whatever for you to use, and pump out the data thru the single IP that is registered with the hotel.

edit: It will work without cloning, but the cloning will save you problems later on in some situations.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

how do you clone the MAC addy?
Old Dec 11, 2008, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by richard
how do you clone the MAC addy?
It's usually in (one of ) the setup page of the router. You plug the router into your computer and access it thru a local ip address- it should be in the instructions.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 9Benua
I think he was asking a different question than the previous answer indicated. I think he wants to use a hotel's WIFI access, not wired access, and then route that.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime
I think he was asking a different question than the previous answer indicated. I think he wants to use a hotel's WIFI access, not wired access, and then route that.
You're correct. But he can do the same thing as I said but just change the settings on his router to act as a bridge.

Last edited by jcherney; Dec 12, 2008 at 1:48 pm
Old Dec 12, 2008, 7:24 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
Yes, saying it a little differently, the Linksys has a setting for whether you want to connect to a wired outlet (plug in the wall), or a wireless network. In both cases it works the same and the hotel/provider will only "see" the router.

The purpose of the MAC address change (clone) is to avoid problems on certain networks that block routers like these (to maintain revenue - what we gain, they lose) based on the use of certain MAC addresses by the manufacturers. If you leave the MAC address as default, they might not let you connect. Changing it to another value will avoid this potential problem.

Usually the routers are accessed via a browser, connected to its address. Some might require special software to accomplish this, but Linksys is easy. If you don't have your original documentation (instructions), just go to the website of the manufacturer.

You might want to do all this at "home", while you have a connection, rather than wait until you are stuck someplace.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

what kind of linksys one do you have, platcomike?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime
I use the D-link travel router (click here), a superb unit (unlike my experience with other D-link products). In fact I have three of them.

Can be used as a router, access point, or client (I use it as a client on my home desktop).

IF you can find them on sale, buy all of them!
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I carry the same D-Link router and like it.
I know this unit gets great reviews and is absolutely tiny, but I was never able to get it up and running - and I'm relatively tech savvy. At least enough to get a router going, that's for sure. I ended up getting one of the Linksys travel routers with the pop out plug and it works fine.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:51 am
Suspended

There is a switch on the bottom that changes the type of connection you're trying to achieve. Did you have the switch in the correct setting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.