Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service Pack 3 for Win XP Pro

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2008, 8:44 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Service Pack 3 for Win XP Pro

The Microsoft automatic update feature wants me to install service pack 3..... I have a now rather vintage ThinkPad T30 running XP Pro..... do I need to worry about backing up my system before installing this...?

Thoughts / Experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex (Gaucho100K)
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I installed SP3 on my Lenovo T60p two weeks ago without incident. I did do a complete backup first, though.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks N965VJ.... I guess I will move forward, although I will also do a backup. What software did you use for this backup, anything special...?
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I use the ThinkVantage backup utility with a Seagate FreeAgent Go external HD. I’m not sure what backup utilities were on older ThinkPads since this is my first one.

Before installing SP3 I did a little Googling to see if I might be asking for trouble and came up with this article. So far, so good!
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:36 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
No problems with the update here. And it did do a restore point before updating.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Regular backups never hurt, and I certainly would take one before applying a major upgrade/update.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
No problems with the update here. And it did do a restore point before updating.
Does this mean that a backup would be redundant, or do I not understand what a restore point means...?
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Does this mean that a backup would be redundant, or do I not understand what a restore point means...?
Start-(All Programs)->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore

System restore returns your computer to an earlier time (Restore Point).
Old Sep 9, 2008, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gj83
Start-(All Programs)->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore

System restore returns your computer to an earlier time (Restore Point).
Sure, but it is NOT a backup. If your registry craps out or the system is unable to boot into Windows at all you've got nothing, even with a restore point. It is easier, but not nearly as functional.

One of the first things I do on a Win install is turn off system restore. I don't need the minimal protection that it provides, especially at the expense of the overhead that it adds.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
To me, a backup is a copy of all documents, spreadsheets, mailboxes and files other than programs that need to be "installed" in the Windows sense.
A restore point supposedly remembers the status of all programs that need to be installed, including the operating system.
The idea is that the backed up files simply need to be copied back, but the programs need to be reinstalled.
The two processes are complementary, and one is not a substitute for the other.
I would also make a backup of any installation programs or installers that were downloaded. Everything else needed to reinstall programs is presumably on a CD-ROM or a DVD.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:54 am
Original Poster

OK, thanks for the additional info.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 5:54 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott
At work

my desktop Compaq Presario rejected the Service Pack, so I restored it to a previous point...still don't know what went wrong
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I downloaded it onto my ThinkPad T42 and it really caused many problems. Reverting back to the SP2 operation returned the computer to normal. SP3 works fine with the Dell desktop but see no real improvement.

MisterNice
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MisterNice
I downloaded it onto my ThinkPad T42 and it really caused many problems. Reverting back to the SP2 operation returned the computer to normal. SP3 works fine with the Dell desktop but see no real improvement.
Oh oh..... thanks for the heads up.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:35 pm

Is there a way not to install it. I keep getting the little message reminder in the lower right hand corner but I never hit install?

Also, if there is a way to remove this, can I install later upgrades/updates w/o installing the SP3?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.