FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Service Pack 3 for Win XP Pro (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/864330-service-pack-3-win-xp-pro.html)

Gaucho100K Sep 9, 2008 8:44 am

Service Pack 3 for Win XP Pro

The Microsoft automatic update feature wants me to install service pack 3..... I have a now rather vintage ThinkPad T30 running XP Pro..... do I need to worry about backing up my system before installing this...?

Thoughts / Experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex (Gaucho100K)

N965VJ Sep 9, 2008 9:10 am

I installed SP3 on my Lenovo T60p two weeks ago without incident. I did do a complete backup first, though.

Gaucho100K Sep 9, 2008 9:13 am

Thanks N965VJ.... I guess I will move forward, although I will also do a backup. What software did you use for this backup, anything special...?

N965VJ Sep 9, 2008 9:25 am

I use the ThinkVantage backup utility with a Seagate FreeAgent Go external HD. I’m not sure what backup utilities were on older ThinkPads since this is my first one.

Before installing SP3 I did a little Googling to see if I might be asking for trouble and came up with this article. So far, so good!

cblaisd Sep 9, 2008 11:36 am

No problems with the update here. And it did do a restore point before updating.

notquiteaff Sep 9, 2008 12:28 pm

Regular backups never hurt, and I certainly would take one before applying a major upgrade/update.

Gaucho100K Sep 9, 2008 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 10338924)
No problems with the update here. And it did do a restore point before updating.

Does this mean that a backup would be redundant, or do I not understand what a restore point means...?

gj83 Sep 9, 2008 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 10341467)
Does this mean that a backup would be redundant, or do I not understand what a restore point means...?

Start-(All Programs)->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore

System restore returns your computer to an earlier time (Restore Point).

sbm12 Sep 9, 2008 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by gj83 (Post 10341488)
Start-(All Programs)->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore

System restore returns your computer to an earlier time (Restore Point).

Sure, but it is NOT a backup. If your registry craps out or the system is unable to boot into Windows at all you've got nothing, even with a restore point. It is easier, but not nearly as functional.

One of the first things I do on a Win install is turn off system restore. I don't need the minimal protection that it provides, especially at the expense of the overhead that it adds.

redburgundy Sep 9, 2008 8:34 pm

To me, a backup is a copy of all documents, spreadsheets, mailboxes and files other than programs that need to be "installed" in the Windows sense.
A restore point supposedly remembers the status of all programs that need to be installed, including the operating system.
The idea is that the backed up files simply need to be copied back, but the programs need to be reinstalled.
The two processes are complementary, and one is not a substitute for the other.
I would also make a backup of any installation programs or installers that were downloaded. Everything else needed to reinstall programs is presumably on a CD-ROM or a DVD.

Gaucho100K Sep 10, 2008 3:54 am

OK, thanks for the additional info.

LadyPhoenix Sep 10, 2008 5:54 am

At work

my desktop Compaq Presario rejected the Service Pack, so I restored it to a previous point...still don't know what went wrong:confused:

MisterNice Sep 10, 2008 7:14 am

I downloaded it onto my ThinkPad T42 and it really caused many problems. Reverting back to the SP2 operation returned the computer to normal. SP3 works fine with the Dell desktop but see no real improvement.

MisterNice

Gaucho100K Sep 10, 2008 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by MisterNice (Post 10343890)
I downloaded it onto my ThinkPad T42 and it really caused many problems. Reverting back to the SP2 operation returned the computer to normal. SP3 works fine with the Dell desktop but see no real improvement.

Oh oh..... thanks for the heads up.

hartd Sep 10, 2008 6:35 pm

Is there a way not to install it. I keep getting the little message reminder in the lower right hand corner but I never hit install?

Also, if there is a way to remove this, can I install later upgrades/updates w/o installing the SP3?