Search

Mobile phone network in UK questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Mobile phone network in UK questions

Hi,

I am presently in London and have my trusty ATT Motorola Q9h with me. I typically let the phone select a network automatically around the world and have been happy with the choices! When I arrived yesterday I noticed two things:

1. The networks selected (first 02 then Vodafone) gave me only GPRS data connections (as evidenced by the G on my phone ). I tried to select networks manually, and tried all 4 available (O2, Vodafone, Orange and T-Mo) and they all gave only GPRS data connection. Everywhere else in the world I have been able to find 3G connections. Is there some trick that I am missing??

2. The time zone indicated on the phone is 2 hours off from the local time. I have the phone set to work with local network time, and again, everywhere else in the world it has worked, but here, the zone selected is for "GMT +2 Minsk." I have tried a number of times to change this manually, but it keeps reverting to the Minsk time zone. I am sure that I am in London, but I just cannot get my phone to believe me! Any thoughts??

Many thanks,
Meducate
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:59 am

Nope! there is no trick to it. That phone (I have it too) does not have the 3G band used in the UK and most of the rest of the world. It has WCDMA 850/1900, while WCDMA 2100 is what is used there. The europe version of the phone has WCDMA 2100.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Thanks!

Anyone able to explain the time zone issue?

Thanks...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.