Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Apps mobile GMail now works

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E61 Wi-Fi 3G GPRS: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Symbian OS; Nokia E61/0633.09.04; 9730) Opera 8.65 [en] UP.Link/6.5.1.3.0)

Many of you have GMail working on your smartphone, however it's now available for Apps users as well. Not 'push' (you need to press 'Refresh') but very functional.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by willyroo
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E61 Wi-Fi 3G GPRS: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Symbian OS; Nokia E61/0633.09.04; 9730) Opera 8.65 [en] UP.Link/6.5.1.3.0)

Many of you have GMail working on your smartphone, however it's now available for Apps users as well. Not 'push' (you need to press 'Refresh') but very functional.
I've been receiving "push" GAFD email on my Blackberry for at least a month now, pretty much since I moved my domain over to it (there were some initial domain CNAME issues with GoDaddy that prevented BIS from "seeing" it as a GMail account). This is using the native Blackberry mail via BIS, not via the Google Apps mail application.

I don't normally rely on the Google Apps Mail client, but I happened to leave it running on my BB overnight and it's showing mail that has been received in my GAFD account without me having selected "refresh." I can't say that this qualifies as "push," though, since I have no idea how quickly the mail showed up in the client after it was received in my account.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 6:20 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Can you clarify? Is this a new version and download to the phone or new functionality to the existing app?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've been running a version of some sort for 6+ months now. It stinks. Then again, so does the IMAP interface, though slightly less.

I cannot file/tag a message in the BB app. I cannot select text in the BB app. I cannot highlight and dial a phone number from the email body in the BB app. I cannot display URLs in the BB app. New mail arriving in the BB app doesn't trigger the notification on the device.

There are lots of problems with the BB app version for hosted apps.

It isn't push; it polls, but the polling interval is pretty short in my experience.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by sobore
Can you clarify? Is this a new version and download to the phone or new functionality to the existing app?
The GMail for mobile devices has been around for a little while, however it didn't work for Apps (ie domains other than .gmail or .googlemail). I noticed earlier this week it was now available for external domains. How long has this been available? Probably as long as 2 months..

As to the BB version I have no answers
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by willyroo
The GMail for mobile devices has been around for a little while, however it didn't work for Apps (ie domains other than .gmail or .googlemail). I noticed earlier this week it was now available for external domains. How long has this been available? Probably as long as 2 months..

As to the BB version I have no answers
It has been available since at least December when I installed it for my millerworks.net domain.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
As SBM12 noticed, (mobile apps for Google Apps) it's been around for some time now. I had it installed on my phone in March. It will let you continue to install the regular GMAIL mobile app, (the Apps one has a blue Google Icon vs the red one for GMAIL)

Also if you use BIS/Blackberry with Google apps it's near instantaneous proper push...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.