Search

What do you think will happen if I put my iPhone 3G sim in my PC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2008, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What do you think will happen if I put my iPhone 3G sim in my PC

which comes with a sim slot?

Haven't tried it yet, but is there any reason I wouldn't have unlimited data on the PC at that point?
Old Jul 16, 2008, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need more than a sim slot, you also need the 3G modem in your machine as well as the software for it.

But if it's a 3G unlocked modem (or one locked to AT&T) and it supports the AT&T 3G frequencies, you'll be able to surf for free on your PC. BUT, since the iPhone plan is officially only for smartphones, AT&T might decide to bill you for the usage. A lot of people do this, and if you do it in moderation, you do indeed get free unlimited data.

You'll need to google for the AT&T 3G settings.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sony sz460. It appears to be an Edge modem.

Perhaps I'll try it anyway. The first think I did after getting the computer was to unlock it, but, of course, in this case it would not make a difference.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
It will work just fine but slowly. I just got an unlocked Novatel Merlin X950D Expresscard 34, stuck it in my Sony SZ270 P/C using the sim card formerly used for my edge built in , and it works fine but much faster. I then got a refurb GO phone, took that sim, added medianet unlimited for $19.95 a month gave the actual phone to my wife to replace her old Nokia which took a snapple bath, cancelled my $59 a month plan, and all is well.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 1:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by ScottC
You need more than a sim slot, you also need the 3G modem in your machine as well as the software for it.

But if it's a 3G unlocked modem (or one locked to AT&T) and it supports the AT&T 3G frequencies, you'll be able to surf for free on your PC. BUT, since the iPhone plan is officially only for smartphones, AT&T might decide to bill you for the usage. A lot of people do this, and if you do it in moderation, you do indeed get free unlimited data.

You'll need to google for the AT&T 3G settings.

Isn't AT&T employing both network lock and SIM lock on the iPhone?

In other words, not only will an iPhone sold through AT&T not work with a T-Mobile SIM, but it also will not work with other than the specific AT&T SIM registered to it.

Isn't this is why hacking the iPhone is considered such a big deal as opposed to merely unlocking say a RAZR?

I am a VZW customer for my US phone so this is merely what I have heard. I'd be interested in a clarification.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
In other words, not only will an iPhone sold through AT&T not work with a T-Mobile SIM, but it also will not work with other than the specific AT&T SIM registered to it.
On a discussion board on the Apple web site a user put their SIM card in another phone locked to AT&T and it worked. I think that would have to be possible. What would happen if you sent your phone in to have the battery changed? You'd need a new SIM card for the duration of your repair?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.