Wiki Posts
Search

3G IPhone - Offical UNLOCK version

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2008, 4:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

3G IPhone - Offical UNLOCK version

I just read that for "3" in Hong Kong, the Iphone 3Gs will NOT be simlocked. Although you still have to sign up on a contract (they will not allow phone only sales) However you can use the Iphone on any carrier (provided they support 3G)

So that means it is possible to unlock the 3G Iphone!
Old Jul 1, 2008, 6:01 am

Location: Location?? On a TRAVEL site??? Arent we all moving???
Programs: DM DL, Plt Marriott, Diamond HH, Chrmn Avis, Concierge Radisson
I saw an article in the Gulf News here in the UAE that they will allow the iPhone, but will not permit an exclusive provider. Presumably any provider would be able to retail the phone and provide the service.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
There are quite a few markets in the world where phones have to be either a) offered unlocked (e.g. France), or b) unlocked at the end of contract (e.g. the UK).

As for the UAE, it'll be interesting to see what they do. It wouldn't surprise me if they skip the market altogether. Etisalat aren't used to sharing revenue.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 8:31 am

Are there any iPhones being offered unlcoked? My relative in Serbia requested one, but I cannot even find a price for it.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by IHEARTNY1
I just read that for "3" in Hong Kong, the Iphone 3Gs will NOT be simlocked. Although you still have to sign up on a contract (they will not allow phone only sales) However you can use the Iphone on any carrier (provided they support 3G)

I'm not getting one for a while anyway (my current one works just fine), but maybe when the 2nd gen 3G iphone comes out (what, next summer ) I will look at one of these options.

The AAPL-T relationship is really pissing me off.

---

Incidentally, OP: do you "heart" NY1 the news channel, or something else?

I love NY1!
Old Jul 1, 2008, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by pred02
Are there any iPhones being offered unlcoked? My relative in Serbia requested one, but I cannot even find a price for it.
There are almost no stocks of iphones left anywhere. There might be a few here in NYC, in one of the small sim shops that litter downtown and midtown.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IHEARTNY1

Well yes; It is possible to unlock it, it's just unknown at the moment whether it can be done by end users.

Apple probably learned a lot from the original iPhone, and my instincts tell me that the new one will have a lot of those lessons hidden away in it.

Time will tell whether hackers manage to defeat Apple again, or whether things are so locked down that Apple will win this time.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notsosmart
I'm not getting one for a while anyway (my current one works just fine), but maybe when the 2nd gen 3G iphone comes out (what, next summer ) I will look at one of these options.

The AAPL-T relationship is really pissing me off.

---

Incidentally, OP: do you "heart" NY1 the news channel, or something else?

I love NY1!
I actually wanted the handle IHEARTNY, but I stuffed up the registration process and have to add an One to it.

BTW I do like NY1. A bit OT - do you that theme song they had a few months back with the rock girl playing the gituar?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 6:40 pm

AT&T said that an unlocked iPhone will be $599 (8GB) or $699 (16GB).
Old Jul 1, 2008, 6:45 pm

Sorry... I double checked the site. It actually says "AT&T will offer a no-contract-required option for $599 (8GB) or $699 (16GB)." So that doesn't actually mean unlocked, though it could.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1P, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Tummy
Sorry... I double checked the site. It actually says "AT&T will offer a no-contract-required option for $599 (8GB) or $699 (16GB)." So that doesn't actually mean unlocked, though it could.
Yup, no contract, which would all you to use GoPhone, but not another carrier. Although, we may see AT&T offering unlock codes after a certain period of time, as they do have a track record of doing this with other phones.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
In Australia there will be three or four telcos offering iPhone but I doubt they will be unlocked. Optus will offer a $19 cap plan
Old Jul 3, 2008, 2:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pred02
I will gladly sell you a slightly used non 3G Iphone. I am getting my new 3G one on the 11th here in Hong Kong and have no need for the this one.

Its fully unlocked.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by BiziBB
In Australia there will be three or four telcos offering iPhone but I doubt they will be unlocked. Optus will offer a $19 cap plan
According to The Age, Optus will be offering the iPhone on pre-paid and for an additional $80AUD provide an immediate unlock code. So, it looks like I'll be able to get a phone on my terms, if not at a bargain-basement price; $850 + $80.

Not so bad though. My current phone is a 4+ year old SE 910i that cost ~1'000CHF at the time without contract and unlocked.

Once I know where else might have unlock at purchase, without contract, I'll look at travel schedules and see if there will be a cheaper opportunity.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, WN
ATT will not be offering an unlocked iPhone. It's part of the beast. ATT has exclusivity so even charging full retail will not make it be unlocked within the U.S.
However, there will invariably be a way to unlock it once end users get their hands on it. There's ALWAYS a way to get around security measures, it's just a matter of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.