Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3G IPhone - Offical UNLOCK version

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2008, 1:47 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by someotherguy
3G data is fairly cheap in Europe. For example, 3 UK gives you 1GB a month for 10 pounds ($20), or 3GB for 15 pounds, prepaid:
http://www.three.co.uk/personal/prod...nd_/detail.omp

And it roams for free (data) in the "3 like home" countries, which are
Austria, Hong Kong, Italy, Denmark, Ireland, Sweden.

If you want to use it with a laptop, they'll sell you a Huawei E220 HSDPA modem for 50 pounds.

T-Mobile UK offers 40MB/day at 2.50 pounds for 5 days, prepaid. If you don't prearrange that deal, it's 1 pound a day. This deal doesn't work when roaming outside the UK.
Of course, I know this, living here in Belgium. But I need a contract that works throughout Europe (and the 3 offer only covers the UK which I frequently travel to; the other countries are not so interesting). Even then the best packages I know of come to at least 1 Euro per MB when you roam in another European country.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Of course, I know this, living here in Belgium. But I need a contract that works throughout Europe (and the 3 offer only covers the UK which I frequently travel to; the other countries are not so interesting). Even then the best packages I know of come to at least 1 Euro per MB when you roam in another European country.
Yes but Vivian Reding is changing all that and will soon cap Euro data roaming like she did Euro voice call roaming. SMS roaming too will drop this year across the EU.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:48 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The iTunes update site must be getting hosed today.

40 minutes and counting to download a 30mb update.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 1:50 am

Does anyone know "how unlocked" the Italian iphones are? Do they still need to be activated every time you change simcards?

Also, has anyone read if someone has tested out a sim-adapter with the 3g iphone yet? (ScottC have you gotten one yet?)
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:14 pm

iPhone 3G jailbreaking tool goes live

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=89189
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
maybe i'm having a bald moment but i thought that (at least in california) cell phone companies were required to give you the unlock code for your phone if you requested it.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've poked around, but it seems like there are not many applications available for a jailbroken iPhone. Am I missing something?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by birdstrike
I've poked around, but it seems like there are not many applications available for a jailbroken iPhone. Am I missing something?
there's a fairly large selection of apps, but they only work on the older 1.x firmware. for v2.0, they'll need to be updated, and that hasn't happened yet.

here's a few picks of what is available:
http://lifehacker.com/394683/iphone-...ilbreaking-for
Old Jul 22, 2008, 4:33 am

Sweet! Im going to HK.. now!!! lol x
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:35 am

Jailbroken applications that will be useful are those that aren't allowed on the appstore like emulators, home screen changers etc..
Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:27 am

Some friends are heading to Beijing next week for the Olympics and they've been asked by relatives to bring back a couple of iPhones - claim they can be unlocked there. A re-seller that we use in NYC (got my wife's unlocked iPhone earlier this year from him) also claims he can unlock 3G for $20?

I'm thinking of buying one, signing up with AT&T and then paying them early termination fee $175.

Anyone have any experience with unlocking 3G, etc.?

Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2008, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by dtsm
Anyone have any experience with unlocking 3G, etc.?
locked 3g iphones can only be jailbroken at this time; they cannot be unlocked (yet). in some countries they are sold unlocked.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
There ARE other ways to unlock a phone

I've got one of these here:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12167

Works perfectly in the current iPhone, and chances are it'll work in the new one as well. Only thing I've noticed is that I occassionaly have to power cycle the phone. Other than that it seems to work in most phones including Blackberry smartphones.
Has anyone had a chance to try one of these on a 3G yet?
Old Jul 31, 2008, 8:30 am

My friends crashed the mall, got on line and entered the apple store at 8 am - grabbed two of the remaining 10 3G's in stock and they're off to Bj next Tuesday. They promised to call me with their unlocked 3G so more to follow
Old Jul 31, 2008, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So is AT&T letting you buy the phones for $199 or $299 and then paying $175 early termination and letting you keep the phones?

Is that only if you buy from AT&T or also Apple too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.