Wiki Posts
Search

Cool things I didn't know I could do with my Blackberry

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cool things I didn't know I could do with my Blackberry

Like many people, I've been carrying a Blackberry around for many years. In the course of changing employers this week, I managed to crash my 8830 and Verizon said they would replace it. While setting up the new one, I decided to see what I could do to maximize its utility. I, of course, have used it as a modem and also receive my Gmail on the Blackberry, but I figured there must be other neat things it could do. This may be old hat to everyone, but I discovered:

1. It can take a microSD card for storing all sorts of data.

2. It will play back movies (actually quite well) that have been transcoded from DVD to .3gp (I have a program from Xilisoft that can do this).

3. There's an application called Avantgo that provides handy access to all sorts of journals and newspapers, as well as United's website.

How about you? Any cool apps that you've discovered?
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:13 pm

It is a little pricey, but when I had a Blackberry, I used to like Shapeshifter's IM+ which let you do IMs over your Blackberry node.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gov't, Choice Gold
I use google talk on mine. In fact I live by it. I also have google maps and facebook.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just wait till you get the new OS

Video recording, full screen video, bluetooth stereo and remote control and loads of other nice features.

It's a massive improvement.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ScottC
Just wait till you get the new OS

Video recording, full screen video, bluetooth stereo and remote control and loads of other nice features.

It's a massive improvement.
What the man said. This update is an unbelievable group of improvements to your BB.

As I mentioned on another thread, the kid next door took my 8800 for about an hour and when he returned it, it was updated (I now realized that he put in the new OS). I especially like the new, highly readable fonts, the enhanced HTML functionality, and the real time GPS function. I hardly need my TomTom any more.

He also told me that it is important to get it now, in its unbranded state, because once the carriers get their hands on it, they will remove lots of the cool features and then try to charge you in order to put them back.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by monitor
What the man said. This update is an unbelievable group of improvements to your BB.

As I mentioned on another thread, the kid next door took my 8800 for about an hour and when he returned it, it was updated (I now realized that he put in the new OS). I especially like the new, highly readable fonts, the enhanced HTML functionality, and the real time GPS function. I hardly need my TomTom any more.

He also told me that it is important to get it now, in its unbranded state, because once the carriers get their hands on it, they will remove lots of the cool features and then try to charge you in order to put them back.
While the update is available for the 8800 ("officially," too, from Vodaphone.de), it's not available for the CDMA-based 8830 and 8330 Curve.

Domestic BIS servers are being upgraded to v2.5 next weekend, however, and the rumor is that BB OS v4.5 will become available for the 81xx/83xx/88xx (and possibly the 87xx) models shortly thereafter. The combination of BIS 2.5 and BB OS v4.5 enables HTML email on the Blackberry. Upgrades have already occurred in the Pacific RIM and some European markets.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fonts do indeed look much better, more PDA, less Blackberryish...
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The fonts do indeed look much better, more PDA, less Blackberryish...
You wouldn't happen to know where 4.5 for the 8830 can be found, by any chance?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
You wouldn't happen to know where 4.5 for the 8830 can be found, by any chance?
I don't think I have seen any 8830 4.5 leaks at all... Makes me wonder whether they are even going to release it for the 8830
Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:15 pm

I don't think I have seen any 8830 4.5 leaks at all... Makes me wonder whether they are even going to release it for the 8830
Since HTML email will be a strong feature for the Blackberry, I think the CDMA vendors will get it fairly soon. I'm pretty sure there's an 8330 (Curve) beta out there, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 8830 had something waiting in the wings as well.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't forget Google Maps and Zagat.

My BB came with all the instant messenger clients anyone could want. (T-mobile branded)

United has a mobile website at ua2go.com. American's is at aa2go.com.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Don't forget Google Maps and Zagat.

My BB came with all the instant messenger clients anyone could want. (T-mobile branded)

United has a mobile website at ua2go.com. American's is at aa2go.com.
mobile.aa.com also works

pda.continental.com

usairways attempts to auto detect and send to mobile site

mobile.southwest.com

most of the airlines have them....continental and aa are the two I use and quite useful.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by PTravel
How about you? Any cool apps that you've discovered?
I've found that you can wedge it under the hotel door as an added security measure, making it harder for someone to break in.

It's also fun to type on it during take-off's and landings, just to upset the FA's and your seatmates.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:28 am

I have on my 8800:

PicoNews (similar to AvantGo)
Nav4All (freeware GPS navigation tool with spoken directions)
JiveTalk (IM client from which you can use most of the major IM services)
Yahoo Messenger
GoogleMaps
Windows Live Search
GPSEd (GPS tracking program which lets you record your movements and upload the tracks to a web site--this is still in beta)
TinyTwitter (don't use it much, but OK if you like Twitter)
Opera Mini (alternative web browser)
Facebook Mobile (a fellow FTer who shall remain nameless dragged me kicking and screaming onto Facebook--having the mobile version is really handy, I look like I'm on all the time )
Gmail client for BB
Google Mobile Updater (keeps track of new versions of Google apps and prompts you to upgrade)

Vodafone Germany has released OS 4.5 for the 8800 and a link is available on blackberryforums.com--don't think there's a 4.5 out for the 8830 yet. Check there for all the latest/greatest OSes/apps. I'll be upgrading to 4.5 tonight and will see how it goes. My only real worry at this point is that Yahoo Messenger won't work (AT&T tries to block it), but I do have JiveTalk if it doesn't.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:59 am

Handy tricks

In a new email. Type the following with a space afterward. A quick way to get your version info, pin and number

myver
mypin
mynumber

Last edited by PhxITGeek; Jun 23, 2008 at 10:59 am Reason: I cant Spell

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.