Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cool things I didn't know I could do with my Blackberry

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
I don't think I have seen any 8830 4.5 leaks at all... Makes me wonder whether they are even going to release it for the 8830
I was wrong.

http://www.berryreview.com/2008/06/2...for-8330-8830/
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by ScottC
Heh. Downloaded the 8330 version yesterday. Haven't had the courage to install it yet

4.3 on the VZW Curve does almost everything that 4.5 does anyway with the exception of HTML mail . . . which I won't be able to use until after the North American BIS upgrade this weekend. I'm not on BES (yet), and even that doesn't support HTML in the release version of 4.1.5 (it was apparently in the beta but removed at GA).
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:34 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Anyone use mobi pocket reader. Nice app for e-books and news feeds.

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePag...sp?Language=EN
Old Jun 27, 2008, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by BNA_flyer
If you're going to carry your BB in your pocket such that the trackball is exposed, hold down the "mute" button for a few seconds to place it in "standby" mode before you do so. This disables the keyboard and trackball, whether or not the device is locked, and prevents you from making emergency (or any other) calls, not to mention turning on the screen and costing you battery life. To bring it out of standby, hold down the mute button again. To me that's a very nice design feature. (Note: you will still be able to get all incoming calls/emails while the device is on standby.)

As my dad used to say, "it's all in knowin' how."
Thanks! Great tip
Old Jun 29, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
The 4.5 version on the 8310 is very nice, but really nothing *THAT* different. If you use Opera Mini, you can get similar features there.

That said, my favorite apps are:

1) Opera Mini - probably still a little nicer than the new browser in 4.5 (and much better than any earlier version of BB OS)
2) Flickr - cool geotagging options
3) Facebook - if you're into that sort of thing
4) Twitterberry - nice, simple interface if you use Twitter
5) Google Mail - gmail client
6) Google Maps - should be #1 on this list, if ordered by usefulness
7) Priority Pass - easy lounge finder app
8) Google Updater - add an easy "instant start" link to Google from your menu. Also updates Google Maps automatically when updates are out.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by sobore
Anyone use mobi pocket reader. Nice app for e-books and news feeds.

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePag...sp?Language=EN
I use this all the time.

I go to http://www.baen.com/library/ for free science fiction books to download.

Starts to hurt they eyes after several hours of reading though.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
I definitely need to upgrade from the 8700g (contract up in November) . . . Thanks for all the input.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Stinks for me. My company won't allow the installation of any non-approved software to my BB, so it seems that I am missing a lot of cool stuff that would make my wireless life a lot more efficient. Of course I have the 8700g, so maybe I couldn't even run some of these apps.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 9:59 pm

Can BBs ring+vibrate yet?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Anyone know when they plan to let me save a file from an email and then attach this file or others from the SD card to another email? That's the biggest hole it has to me. 3G, etc, is nice, but that doesn't really add new functionality. It just makes it faster.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by thegeneral
Anyone know when they plan to let me save a file from an email and then attach this file or others from the SD card to another email? That's the biggest hole it has to me. 3G, etc, is nice, but that doesn't really add new functionality. It just makes it faster.
Blackberry OS 4.5 allows you to do that. It will be available from most carriers within the next month or two.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:38 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
So I'd rather have a smooth update from a carrier than risk frying my SIM or BB and then going to the IT department for a new one. My BB is from T-Mobile UK and but I use it with an Orange SIM in another country. Will it automatically update the OS or in any event would I have to actively get something from either Orange or T-Mobile to update the OS?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
So I'd rather have a smooth update from a carrier than risk frying my SIM or BB and then going to the IT department for a new one. My BB is from T-Mobile UK and but I use it with an Orange SIM in another country. Will it automatically update the OS or in any event would I have to actively get something from either Orange or T-Mobile to update the OS?
You'll likely have to talk to your IT department regarding the new OS version. As far as I know, it's not possible to upgrade over-the-air.

I'm not a BES administrator, so I don't know if it's possible to set BB policies such that a user could not upgrade his own BB.

Frying SIMs is a specialty of some versions of the 4.5 beta
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everybody's been saying that for the last 6 months.

Originally Posted by PorkRind
Blackberry OS 4.5 allows you to do that. It will be available from most carriers within the next month or two.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:35 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by PorkRind
Frying SIMs is a specialty of some versions of the 4.5 beta
So are we at a stage where non-beta's are available?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.