Problems with my brand-new Lenovo T61p

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems with my brand-new Lenovo T61p

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2008, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by SJUAMMF
For synchronizing time, I use the NIST time synch'ing client. It is the most accurate.

http://tf.nist.gov/service/its.htm
XP Pro has a built-in ntp client. You don't need any special client software.

run gpedit.msc / computer configuration/system/windows time service/Time Providers.

Configure the client, enable the client.

Under configure the client, I have it set to:
Enabled
ntp server: 0.us.pool.ntp.org (use any ntp server you want)
Type: NTP

Then enable the client in the other menu item.

You don't need to enable the server.

This lets you sync more frequently than the item in time and date properties, but that one works also if you don't care about syncing more than once a day.

If your date/time is off by a day, it won't sync automatically.

See also:

http://tf.nist.gov/service/pdf/win2000xp.pdf

(which describes ntp client configuration using the 'net' command, but it's the same thing.)

Also, if you are part of a domain, you want to use the domain's time server, and not an external one.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jan 19, 2008 at 9:46 pm
Old Jan 19, 2008, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I think that the time synchronization doesn't work if the computer is part of a domain / active directory. It will synchronize the time with your domain controller instead.
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
XP Pro has a built-in ntp client. You don't need any special client software.

<snip>

Also, if you are part of a domain, you want to use the domain's time server, and not an external one.
If your computer is in a domain it is pretty important to let the Windows Time Service (the built-in NTP client) just sync to your domain. In other words don't mess with it. If the time gets out of sync by more than 5 minutes (I'm 99% sure this is the margin) then authentication will start failing due to the way Kerberos (the authentication mechanism) is built. If you're in a domain but never on your corporate network (VPN or for real) your computer will likely start to drift and eventually have other issues, including the computer account expiring on the domain, but that takes several months of being disconnected before it is really an issue.

If you are not in a domain the computer will try to sync to time.microsoft.com by default. You can change that with the command "net time /setsntp:<servername1,servername2,...>" or using the local security policy GUI described above. The MS one should be fine in most cases.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:10 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Although others clearly have not had the problems with Access Connections, on my previous ThinkPad it was nothing but trouble and I have disabled it (but haven't yet uninstalled) from my new ThinkPad.

Interestingly and annoyingly, even disabled it spawns (as a look at Task Manager will show you) several processes that more than once have been the culprit in a freeze when coming out of hibernation.

I guess I need to uninstall completely. Thanks for the reminder.

I'd be interested to hear whether even uninstalled if AC is running any background processes/services on your machine.

As always, I also recommend you get subscribed to the ThinkPads listserv. There is, in fact, a very active discussion right now on the merits and drawbacks of Access Connections. The folks on that list are incredibly well-versed in TPs.
http://stderr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/thinkpad
Old Jan 20, 2008, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Although others clearly have not had the problems with Access Connections, on my previous ThinkPad it was nothing but trouble and I have disabled it (but haven't yet uninstalled) from my new ThinkPad.

Interestingly and annoyingly, even disabled it spawns (as a look at Task Manager will show you) several processes that more than once have been the culprit in a freeze when coming out of hibernation.

I guess I need to uninstall completely. Thanks for the reminder.

I'd be interested to hear whether even uninstalled if AC is running any background processes/services on your machine.

As always, I also recommend you get subscribed to the ThinkPads listserv. There is, in fact, a very active discussion right now on the merits and drawbacks of Access Connections. The folks on that list are incredibly well-versed in TPs.
http://stderr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/thinkpad
I had the same experience that you did. I first just turned off the service, but it still caused problems, so then I uninstalled it.

I can't tell if there are any AC background processes still running. There is so much Lenova/ThinkVantage software preinstalled that I wouldn't know what to look for. And I'm not sure what, other than AC itself, I can safely remove.

Thanks for the link. That looks like a useful site/service.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
If your computer is in a domain it is pretty important to let the Windows Time Service (the built-in NTP client) just sync to your domain. In other words don't mess with it. If the time gets out of sync by more than 5 minutes (I'm 99% sure this is the margin) then authentication will start failing due to the way Kerberos (the authentication mechanism) is built. If you're in a domain but never on your corporate network (VPN or for real) your computer will likely start to drift and eventually have other issues, including the computer account expiring on the domain, but that takes several months of being disconnected before it is really an issue.

If you are not in a domain the computer will try to sync to time.microsoft.com by default. You can change that with the command "net time /setsntp:<servername1,servername2,...>" or using the local security policy GUI described above. The MS one should be fine in most cases.
I'm not in a domain and don't need numerous time updates, just enough accuracy to keep things running smoothly and to be able to use System Restore if I need to. (Hope not.)

I think my Outlook calendar, etc., is going to get screwed up when I reset the clock, but hope it won't be too bad.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tennisbum
I think my Outlook calendar, etc., is going to get screwed up when I reset the clock, but hope it won't be too bad.
Reminders may trigger again, but other than that things should be OK, as long as you werer creating the events using the correct time. The only thing that may screw you up is if the time zone is wrong on your system, as then all the events would move to stay "on time" even though your computer is switching time zones.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Reminders may trigger again, but other than that things should be OK, as long as you werer creating the events using the correct time. The only thing that may screw you up is if the time zone is wrong on your system, as then all the events would move to stay "on time" even though your computer is switching time zones.
I'm in the right time zone.

Just changed the date in BIOS and rebooted, did not lose connectivity this time and Outlook seems okay.

The clock is off by a few seconds, but I think I'll wait a day or so before trying to synch.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boberonicus
This is intentional. The Thinkpad doesn't charge batteries that are close to full capacity. It goes something like this:

100% charge
removed from A/C for 10 minutes
98% charged
plugged back in
Will not charge until battery drops below threshold (which lowers as battery ages)
remove from A/C for 1 hour
70% charge
plug back in
Charges to 100%.

The threshold for a new batter is around 95% as I recall.
Someone recently suggested that I set the battery recharge threshold to around 60% and the max to 98% to increase the life of the battery.

Do you think that's a good idea?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No T61 here but a T42. Access connections was once super but all it does currently is give me connection grief. I got rid of it (I had to totally uninstall it and not leave it on my computer) and use Windows for connects now. My battery gauge varies from 98% to 100% and I doubt it is that accurate any how. I would not worry about it.

MisterNice
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:20 pm

Programs: Dirt
Regarding battery lifecycle, Panasonic has an "Economy mode" on their Toughbooks to extend the number of charge cycles that a battery can go through during its life. While in Eco mode, Toughbooks will only charge to 80% of the battery capacity. In their lab testing, a battery in Eco mode will achieve 50% more cycles before wear and tear reduces battery capacity to half of spec.

See the bottom of this page http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/t..._battery_life/

Panasonic is one of the major innovators and manufacturers of Li-ion batteries, and I would trust their research.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by msb0b
Regarding battery lifecycle, Panasonic has an "Economy mode" on their Toughbooks to extend the number of charge cycles that a battery can go through during its life. While in Eco mode, Toughbooks will only charge to 80% of the battery capacity. In their lab testing, a battery in Eco mode will achieve 50% more cycles before wear and tear reduces battery capacity to half of spec.

See the bottom of this page http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/t..._battery_life/

Panasonic is one of the major innovators and manufacturers of Li-ion batteries, and I would trust their research.
Yes, Thinkpads used Panasonic and Sanyo cells for many years. They then added Sony later and everybody know what happened to that.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Tennisbum
Someone recently suggested that I set the battery recharge threshold to around 60% and the max to 98% to increase the life of the battery.
Do you think that's a good idea?
No. The Thinkpad will automatically adjust the thresholds as the battery ages. At some point in the future, the battery manager will pop up and suggest a new threshold and also ask you if want to let it adjust thresholds automatically from now on.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boberonicus
No. The Thinkpad will automatically adjust the thresholds as the battery ages. At some point in the future, the battery manager will pop up and suggest a new threshold and also ask you if want to let it adjust thresholds automatically from now on.
That's neat. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.