Multi-Function Printer Recommendation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multi-Function Printer Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:25 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Actually we have a really cheapo Brother unit here in the office, and it *does* scan to a Mac. But it's a bit finicky. The software acts up and sometimes won't scan unless the computer is restarted. This was supposed to be fixed in one of the updates, but it seems it has not been.

I was eyeing a new low-end Canon laser unit for home, but the scanning on those definitely doesn't work on a Mac; not even sure the printing works. HP low-end laser can be tricky with Macs; the cheapest stuff doesn't have drivers.

Canon usually supports Macs, though, so maybe we'll see some Mac drivers for that eventually. The unit I'm thinking of is the MF3240 which functionally appears to be a good bet.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
Mac user here.

I would go to cnet.com, read through their reviews. It really depends what your primary uses will be, i.e. is scanning more important, is printing good pix the priority, etc. Macworld.com reviews are also worth looking at but with leopard, you shouldn't have problems with compability.

Some are great at printing but lousy at scanning. All obviously will fax in/out.
Currently using HP-6310 with MacBook and no problems. Project for weekend is to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard. OP says C7280 doesn't work with Leopard- should I anticipate a problem?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alect
I bought a canon MX700 3-4 months ago and so far LOVE it. It took me less than 15 minutes to set it up on the home network and then all you do is install some software on each computer and voila - each computer has network print access.

Scanning works like a treat - I have recently digitized reems of paper files. Printing is pretty good quality. faxing (both from the machine and from pc on the network) seems seemless.

The only downside of it is that it doesn't do duplex - but that wasn't a big deal for us - YMMV.

I can't say I have noticed that it uses ink any more than any other printer we have used.
Thanks for this! It's 157.99 at Amazon right now w/ free shipping. Gets great reviews overall, too. I'm in.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

most of these econo multi machines do not paper feed the images worth a damn. so you end up standing over the machine stuffing each page of your fax into it, and when you misstuff, you have to wait til the machine quits so you can redial and start stuffing again.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Premier
Just a quick update... I ended up buying the Brother MFC-7820N from costco.com. I love it!
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:19 am

Programs: Aeroflot Gold, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Foady
Just a quick update... I ended up buying the Brother MFC-7820N from costco.com. I love it!
I have the MFC-7820N for about a year (on a small home pc network), and am also very happy with its quality and price. It's about $200 now at Staples, which is a good price for a laser printer with an ethernet connection--throw in the scanning capabilities, copier and fax, and it is a real bargain.

The only area I wish improvement is the ability to scan into a PDF-I find that the file size is larger than what other systems create (this is probably a function of software, and I do knock the scanning resolution down).
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Foady
I can't seem to find whether this one prints in color or not. Can you tell me?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It scans in color and prints in B&W. I went for a duplexing model, the MFC-8860DN. I'm very happy with it. They also have models with wireless networking.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
It scans in color and prints in B&W. I went for a duplexing model, the MFC-8860DN. I'm very happy with it. They also have models with wireless networking.
I see. I'm lookng for one that prints in color. I know I asked before, but I'm more serious now.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
If I were buying, I'd go with a Brother. They support the weird OSes I tend to run (XP Pro x64 for example). The one or two times I had to call for support they were excellent. HP has left me lacking drivers on multiple occasions.

Brother's color MFC line can be seen here.

I'd go for one with a built-in network interface. That makes the unit accessible to all machines without any particular one having to be turned on. I also like the duplexing option.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 1:46 pm

Looks like the prices for color laser printers is still too high for me.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Looks like the prices for color laser printers is still too high for me.
Color laser is remarkably cheap. I recently bought a Brother HL-4040CN from Costco for $279. If you add that to the price of a fax/scanner you can see why the all-in-one units are still so expensive.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Color laser is remarkably cheap. I recently bought a Brother HL-4040CN from Costco for $279. If you add that to the price of a fax/scanner you can see why the all-in-one units are still so expensive.
Maybe you're right. We already have a multi function ink jet. All we need is the color laser printer portion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.