Amaze GPS - Free GPS navigation on your mobile phone

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN Platinum
Amaze GPS - Free GPS navigation on your mobile phone

I found out about this free GPS service recently - www.amazegps.com

I haven't tried it yet because my phones don't have internal GPS, and I don't have a GPS puck.

Anyone here try it? Any reviews?
Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I bought a Garmin GPS10 to use with a Sprint Treo650 via BT. The original Palm OS Que application didn't work very well and I gave up using it. The recent Mobile XT software works much better but still crash the phone more often than I like. This BT puck has software for Palm OS, Windows Mobile, Symbian for Nokia and Symbian for Sony Ericsson.

I have heard stories about Motorola, Samsung PDA phones crashing from fellow road warriors that I thought only my Treo did. Given even the most stable Nokia (my travel N73) crashes on occasion without a single add-on SW, I would leave the phone alone and get a real GPS.

For instance, the Garmin Mobile XT has a setting to "Disconnect GPS On Phone Call" and the choices are "Always, When not routing, Never". Getting too complex for me.

Last edited by SJUAMMF; Dec 4, 2007 at 12:04 am
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's a very good point. This is why I have not downloaded Google Maps, or many other applications, for fear of crashing my Blackberry or making it much less stable than it currently is.

As it is I have a hard time keeping a constant connection with my bluetooth headset which used to work so well.

It's too bad that modern technology has so many flaws that it's a constant struggle just to maintain reliable basic service.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:09 am

Personally I want to commend Garmin in providing advanced technology and great service support.

But it is maddening that consumer products would require a guru to use and we become testing ground of what works and what don't work.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 1:44 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Haven't managed to crash the E61 yet while running TomTom, bluetooth to the GPS receiver. One day the 'phone rang and connected to the bluetooth headset...

Makes me a "bluetool"?

But, as always, YMMV...
Old Dec 4, 2007, 2:12 am

Good for you Willy. I will try the Garmin Mobile XT on the N73 soon. It locks up going in and out of the camera mode once in a while without any additional SW.

I have 7-8 BT pairing codes in the Treo. It would lose pairing sporadically.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:47 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
That's a very good point. This is why I have not downloaded Google Maps, or many other applications, for fear of crashing my Blackberry or making it much less stable than it currently is.
You needn't worry. The Blackberry OS is stable even after installing many 3rd party apps. That's one thing that makes it better than many of the others.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:09 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
The new Live Search program from Microsoft will do turn-by-turn GPS routing (without voice prompts) on any Windows Mobile device with internal/external GPS. I've been using it for a few months and it's pretty reliable.

Free download (from your phone) at http://wls.live.com
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
You needn't worry. The Blackberry OS is stable even after installing many 3rd party apps. That's one thing that makes it better than many of the others.
Thanks, yes my Blackberry has been pretty good.

But it has that nasty memory leak problem, which requires a complete reboot once a week. It also fails to randomly lock onto my bluetooth headset, and freezes at certain times.

It doesn't quite give me complete confidence to download further 3rd party apps on top of it.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: United MP

But it has that nasty memory leak problem, which requires a complete reboot once a week. It also fails to randomly lock onto my bluetooth headset, and freezes at certain times.

It doesn't quite give me complete confidence to download further 3rd party apps on top of it.
Well, Google maps is worth it even if other apps are not. Google maps has always worked well for me.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:27 pm

If you haven't already, head over to blackberryforums.com. Lots of good people there to give advice (the mods are excellent), and they've never steered me wrong. (I am frequently on as oBBsessed.)
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BNA_flyer
If you haven't already, head over to blackberryforums.com. Lots of good people there to give advice (the mods are excellent), and they've never steered me wrong. (I am frequently on as oBBsessed.)
Cool. I've got the Metsfan's reset program, so I don't have to pull the battery to reset my BB.

It's a great forum, but not as interesting as flyertalk.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:28 pm

Cool. I've got the Metsfan's reset program, so I don't have to pull the battery to reset my BB.

It's a great forum, but not as interesting as flyertalk.
You can tell by my post count on each (I think it's about 40 over there) which one I find more entertaining on a regular basis.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 6:23 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Well, Google maps is worth it even if other apps are not. Google maps has always worked well for me.
Sadly, not the case on Windows Mobile. I tried doing routing with Google's software a few times - it just stopped listening to my GPS puck after a while.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Originally Posted by bdjohns1
I tried doing routing with Google's software a few times - it just stopped listening to my GPS puck after a while.
I wouldn't condemn Google Mobile Maps on the basis of a single data point. Yours could be a problem with
  1. Your phone
  2. The puck
  3. Other software
I have had no problems with GMM routing for the several months I've used it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.