Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Comcast mailer: "Speeds of 6mbs and with PowerBoost"...worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)

I currently have Comcast internet + basic cable TV (because we're not big tv watchers)
A mailer came with "Triple Play Starter Bundle"
"Speeds of 6mbs and with PowerBoost...get bursts of 12mbs download of 2mbs upload"
it also includes:
* 70 HDTV channels + 46 music channels
* digit phone service
When I'm not travelling, I'm a heavy telecommuter and would pay for the faster internet service is it's "real"...
Any experiences?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:41 am

Yes, comcast is real. They are one of the largest cable providers in the states. Triple play is a layman term coined by the cable companies that offer "one wire" service meaning that they will offer you internet, TV, and voice over one wire.

In terms of this speed, I'd be curious to know if the speeds given apply to just the internet or if that bandwidth is shared by the VOIP and TV. Obviously the more VOIP and TV data going through the wire, the less of it is going to be available for internet use. It is certainly possible to get that speed of internet connection so if you're asking if that is possible, then the answer is, "yes."

You didn't post the cost but it's probably expensive. You can surely find a better VOIP service than the one comcast will provide. Other than that, I can't really comment on what the best value for you money would be. I would compare the other options available and go from there.

I'm not sure exactly what you meant when you asked if it's real but hopefully I answered your question.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Sorry...I was vague in my first post.
I've used Comcast since they were first offered in my area....prior to that I paid $100/month for ISDN to my home..so I know they are big and real and (at least here) reasonably reliable.
I was looking for someone who is currently using the so called 6mbs "PowerBoost" service to see what their speed experience is..
I frequently get 1.5-2.5mbs down and 300kbs up so I wouldn't mind paying extra 6mbs if it's 'real'....i.e. the normal speed...
Right now it's a teaser offer of $33/mo but I'm not going to read the fine print (need a microscope) until I hear from others that have a verifiable positive experience with the faster service
Old Oct 12, 2007, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I called my cable provider and asked them about the powerboost.

The person I talked to admitted that it's best for when you do a lot of downloads.

I don't do VOIP or much downloading, only email / web browsing, so Powerboost might be overkill for me.

When you're telecommuting, if you have a 7mbps line, it might be enough bandwidth. What might be a real boost in speed is reducing latency - the time it takes for signals to get from your home to work and back. More bandwidth doesn't solve latency issues.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm on the "speedtier with powerboost" and here are my results as of 5 minutes ago:

Download Speed: 17612 kbps (2201.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1205 kbps (150.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Of course, YMMV...
Old Oct 12, 2007, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
The speed is nice, but that 6mbps down is a max speed, and the burst rate is nothing to go as it's just that: a burst. The only thing worth the cost would be the 2MB upload. Even e-mailers and web browsers will notice that improvement.

That said, Comcast has been known recently for pulling a "morality" stunt by blocking BitTorrent, a peer-to-peer technology. I'd leave them for that alone.

That said, if you have the ability to go fiber optic, I highly recommend it.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HLT GLD, SPG GLD
This "triple play" by COMCAST is not Fibre a la Verizon FIOS. This is coax. The 6Mbps per second tier with Powerboost was, I thought, their lowest high speed tier available. If I were the OP - I would check what I was supposed to be on - and if it was the 6Mbps, I'd complain - you should be consistently at or near the 6Mbps mark.

The Digital Voice and HDTV - well that's your choice isn't it. Personally I have their HDTV and DVR and High Speed - but don't have Digital Voice. Really have no need for it - and am happy with what I got so...

I do consistently get speeds over 6Mbps - their powerboost is real, it's basically a best effort burst - so let's say you're downloading a nice big 10 MB file - it'll help tremendously. Downloading a nice big 100MB file - it'll help a little (they "throttle it down" after you use it for a bit).

The only question for you is whether or not you want Digital Voice - if you do - I'd say go for it, if not check on why your d/l is so slow.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
The DOCSIS standard for cable modems specifies a downstream data rate of about 39 Mbps, which you share with your neighbors. The cable operator downloads software into each cable modem which caps its maximum rate at whatever service level you decide to buy.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I often use the greedy Comcast 16/2 service (6 mo free upgrade from 8/1). It just measured NY to PA:

Last Result on 10/12/07
Download Speed: 10472 kbps (1309 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1572 kbps (196.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

I see nil typical differences from anything over 1/0.7 and consider most advertised speeds as hype (ie analogius to EPA car mileage) for an average user. In general DSL trumps cable and go with Verizon Fios if available sez my tech friends. I have used Fios and it rocks!

MisterNice
Old Oct 12, 2007, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

What speed tester did the FT'ers who posted speeds use?
I've been using speedtest.net because of the great graphics
My tests have been from Oregon to Atlanta. I live in Oregon and the mothership is in ATL...
I just tested Portland, OR and got 3.4mbs download....that might be the best I've ever seen although I don't test that frequently
Old Oct 12, 2007, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used www.speakeasy.net/speedtest for my test.

MisterNice
Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
In my experience, the download speed also depends on your company's VPN (if you are using one) and the source of the file.

For example, with my VPN, I achieved 1057 Up/1358 Down.
Without my VPN, I achieved 1012 Up/7685 Down.

Both using www.speedtest.net via Comcast with power boost.

BTW... I download 100+MB files on a daily basis and rarely note a slow-down.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Be sure you really need the speed. My service has moved from 500Kbps to 1.5, 3, 5, and now 8Mbps over the last 8 years and once it hit 1.5, and certainly 3, I hardly notice in e-mail, browsing, telecommuting, etc. uses. Only when I need to download big files is it noticeable. Look at your real bandwidth usage vs. the cost. I'd go to a lower tier to save some money, but the next lower one for me is 128kbps. My provider's too smart to offer something in between.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Verizon Fios

20779 down kps
4434 up kps

Do I need it? Probably not on this crappy company provided laptop, but on the kids pc, the speed is awesome.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 7:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
If you doing Slingbox this would be nice for the Upload.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.