Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Why Are Retractable Luggage Handles So Crappily Designed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2007, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Rolling luggage has to be one of the greatest engineering innovations of all time, but I've have had particularly bad luck with the retractable handles failing. See my photo gallery of busted bags here. At this point I'd simply like to find a bag with a handle that holds up for more than 50 trips. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old Oct 4, 2007, 7:27 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
My Samsonite Jet Age II is holding up well. Does not do many trips in the hold, though.

SmilingBoy.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:20 am

Passengers want luggage that is lightweight and reasonably priced. Passengers won't accept a solution that results in a heavy bag.

FWIW Consumers, and many other reviewers, say the cheap bags sold at places like Wal Mart may not even last one trip.

50 trips may be about all you can expect. I guess you have to rely on the mfg warranty.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:27 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Try a Briggs and Riley, they have a true lifetime warranty.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I have to say that I'd never buy a bag with handles as shown in those pictures. You can feel how crappy they are right in the store. I've got several years as a 1K, 100% domestic, lots of cycles, and I always check my bag because they won'ytlet my tools onboard. I'm still on the same Jansport bag I bought in 1999.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
My TravelPros have held up for years of living in the cargo hold.

Rule #1: Never buy a bag with the handle on the outside; it's guaranteed to get bent or broken the first time it's checked.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
I have a Hartman that's been going for over 7 years and 200+ trips. Only problem I have is that the wheels are wearing down from overuse. I also have a Briggs bag that's excellent and showing no signs of wear and tear.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS
It's clearly a conspiracy to get you to buy more bags...

In all seriousness, I've had nothing but good luck with the Kirkland (Costco) luggage which comes in just about every size. The best part is that you can return it with ease if you do get a dud. 7 years and going with the same carry-on... the handle is getting a little loose but I figure I'll make it to year 8.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver
Pelican Cases.

I'm only partly kidding.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 4:56 am

The Tumi bag on your site originally had a rotating handle, but they were sued for patent infringement and forced to change it to a non-rotating version. They have since change their production source (still in China).
Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sonoranjerseygirl
Pelican Cases.

I'm only partly kidding.
The only problem I have with Pelican cases is that they seem to be a target for theft by airline employees. I'm pretty sure that's how I lost my last Pelican toolbox
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL GM,2MM [3.37TMM]
Originally Posted by Queenoftheroad
I'd simply like to find a bag with a handle that holds up for more than 50 trips. Does anyone have any suggestions?
If what you want is a strong handle, try the LuggageWorks Stealth Pilot Bag Model model 103NG with the "...stainless steel retractable handle..." http://www.luggageworksonline.com/product.asp?CatID=1
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:26 pm

Location: YYC, MIA, JFK, LHR, AMS, BRE, SIN, NRT ... or in transit.
Programs: LH Gold, Flying Club Silver, JAL Mileage Bank, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum
Rimowa

Rimowa Tango series! Awesome, best investment I made last year -- superlight, 5 year warranty (which you won't need).
They have luggage in different sizes, cabin trolley all the way to superbig.
And you can overload them as much as you want -- they'll hold!

http://rimowa.com/main.php?country=U...product/831.52
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:32 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Another vote for TravelPro here. Used it a lot more than 50 times without any problems.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My Briggs & Riley rollaboard has seen significantly more than 50 trips and the handle has stayed in perfectly good condition. When I sent it in for warranty service (needed new wheels), they replaced the handle simply because the rubber grip had gotten a little loose - can't beat the service either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.