Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIM card for world cell phone usage?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2007, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

SIM card for world cell phone usage?

I remember finding a company a while back that for a fee of like $50 gave you unlimited inbound minutes to a GSM cell in most countries, and had reasonable outgoing charges to boot. Anyone know of any firms like this - and most importantly, have any first hand experiences?
Old May 16, 2007, 7:47 am
DEK

Would this be the company?

https://www.united-mobile.com/umo_shop/product.do
Old May 16, 2007, 9:48 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
09 I think has similar
Old May 16, 2007, 5:07 pm

Here is a link to an objective comparison between many offerings.

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/international.html
Old May 18, 2007, 12:44 am

I like this one - it costs 25 pounds (UK) but you get 25 pounds credit, so there is no charge for the card if you use the time, and their rates are quite good in Europe, spotty in the rest of the world (and they shipped it to me in the US by air with no shipping charge):

http://www.freeglobalsim.com/

Originally Posted by auher
I remember finding a company a while back that for a fee of like $50 gave you unlimited inbound minutes to a GSM cell in most countries, and had reasonable outgoing charges to boot. Anyone know of any firms like this - and most importantly, have any first hand experiences?

Last edited by BigFlyer; May 18, 2007 at 6:31 pm Reason: to add that there was not shipping charge for shipment by air
Old May 18, 2007, 6:25 pm

Programs: United GS, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AC
Originally Posted by auher
I think the problem with some of these cards is that the cost to the caller to you (the card user) is very high. So incoming calls are free to you but you are sort of shafting whomever is calling you.
Old May 18, 2007, 6:31 pm

Some of them do have that very high cost to the caller, they have special numbers in Liechtenstein, Estonia, or Iceland that are very high cost.

The one I mentioned two posts above has its incoming numbers on the Isle of Man. Calls to it are billed at the same rate as calls to other UK cell phones. So, while the calls are still more expensive than calls to UK landlines, they are more reasonable than many of the calls to the other international SIMS.

Originally Posted by Capite
I think the problem with some of these cards is that the cost to the caller to you (the card user) is very high. So incoming calls are free to you but you are sort of shafting whomever is calling you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.