Reload this Page >

I need help renting cell phone for trip to Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need help renting cell phone for trip to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2007, 12:59 pm

Regular mail from United Mobile took about a week. They did have an express ship option. I would chose express and make sure you have a week.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
I absolutely don't recommend renting a phone.

First of all, you don't need a quad-band phone. There are only two bands in Europe, and a phone that works on more than that costs money that doesn't do you any good.

Second, you can buy a perfectly serviceable guaranteed unlocked* Europe phone from http://telestial.com for $50, including $20 worth of airtime that might be all you need for this trip. Next time you go, you just reload the SIM and you're good to go.

* Unlocking can be an expensive undertaking. Although some are free, others can only be done with specialized equipment and knowledge.

Last edited by CessnaJock; Oct 18, 2007 at 5:17 pm
Old Oct 15, 2007, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by CO FF
Is it possible to get a phone & SIM card in the US that will work in each of England, Germany, Poland and Italy? This is for 2 trips, over a 2 month span.
Vodafone has significant presence in all of those countries. They're the #2 mobile carrier in each of your four destinations (according to Wikipedia.) Perhaps some brilliant FT'er has a better solution, but if you're doing much talking, you generally get socked (in the wallet) for using a SIM from country#1 in country#2. That's why people often stop by the handy Vodafone shop (or the news stand) in the airport and pick up a local SIM. The transaction is quick. The savings are significant.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by CessnaJock
First of all, you don't need a quad-band phone. There are only two bands in Europe, and having more than that costs money that doesn't do you any good.

Second, you can buy a perfectly serviceable Europe phone from http://telestial.com for $50, including $20 worth of airtime that might be all you need for this trip. Next time you go, you just reload the SIM and you're good to go.
Unless you only want the phone for this one trip, I'd suggest buying a phone with four bands of GSM and 2100mhz WCDMA. The OP already said that he went to Korea fairly regularly and such a phone would cover the Koreas.

Second, it is clear that this person travels internationally. A quadband phone opens up numerous possiblities. For example, roaming SIMs are usually cheaper int he Bahamas, Mexico, and other places where a CDMA phone works, but works expensively.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iwebslinger
I use to rent phones in South Korea's ICN airport and would return them when I left. I eventually purchased a phone because my travels were so frequent.
If I read this correctly, OP doesn't need Asian bands - only European. But I totally agree with buying local SIMs rather than a multi-country. The one that comes with the Telestial deal is expensive (although inexpensive compared to using a Country A SIM in Country B), but not a bad backup in case you're not going to be in one country long enough to justify buying a local.

It's an exercise in Linear Programming - with the constraint lines in more or less continuous motion.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:28 am
Suspended

Stop press! This just in...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...12&postcount=1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.