Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Cingular Treo 650 does not work in Europe!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cingular Treo 650 does not work in Europe!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2007, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Can anybody help?

For some reason, I can see the networks...but I simply won't get service. For example, I was in Spain -- I picked up Movistar and a few others via Network Connections. When I tried to connect, it wouldn't work.

When I try to select the connection type, my only option is GPRS -- I don't get a GSM option, and I believe that's the problem.

Anyway to get the GSM to work??

TIA.
GSM is working, the problem is with your account, not with your hardware.

For a cell phone to work in Europe the following items need to be enabled:

1) The phone needs to work on the 900/1800 bands. Any GSM phone sold as "quad-band" should have this. The Cingular Treo 650 is a quad-band phone.

2) The SIM in the phone needs to have active service in the area where you want to use the phone.

The problem you're seeing is because the account is not provisioned for roaming and/or Cingular does not have a roaming agreement with the local carriers.

There are two solutions to this issue:

1) Call up Cingular and make sure international roaming is properly setup.

2) Get the Treo unlocked and then purchase a local pre-pay SIM when you travel. This means you get a local phone number and is often *cheaper* than option 1.

You can get your device unlocked at most any independent mobile shop in the US or UK for approx $20-$30 USD or for free by calling Cingular before your next trip.

As a matter of policy both Cingular and T-Mobile will unlock a branded phone free of charge so long as you meet the following critera:

1) You have been a customer for at least 90 days.
2) You do not have an outstanding balance.
3) You request the unlock due to international travel.
4) You have not had an unlock request within the last 90 days.

Once unlocked, always unlocked so if you get the code from Cingular you'll never have to worry about it again. That said, an unlocked phone only allows you to use other carrier's SIMs in the device. It won't fix an account provisioning problem, so if you want your US number to work in Europe you'll need to get CNG CS to fix your account.

Originally Posted by tev9999
I had issues with Cingular before in Germany. One carrier (I forget which) would show connected but I could not make or receive calls. Forcing the phone (under network settings) to another carrier fixed it. Even though my phone was locked and I cannot change the network in the US, it has always allowed it while roaming internationally.
The network select option is controlled by the specific SIM in the device. It has no bearing on if the subsidy lock has been removed or not.

Originally Posted by House
GPRS is simply a speeded-up version of GSM. GPRS uses the GSM frequencies and pretty much all GSM networks in Europe have GPRS coverage in major cities. You should have had no issue at all in BCN.
GPRS is the base level data carrier on the GSM network. It has been replaced by EDGE and now UMTS, though UMTS runs on a separate frequency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.