Search

I hate Dell

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2007, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I hate Dell

I ordered a laptop from the Dell outlet. It was listed as a 'scratch and dent' model. I get my confirmation email. It will be ready for shipment in 10 days! ...? Here is an excerpt from my email to Customer Service:

Did I miss something? I feel deceived. I ordered a scratch & dent laptop from your outlet. I paid an extra $19 for 2 day delivery. Now, you're building it? It takes 10 days! I needed a computer now, not in 10 days. What do you do, scratch it at the end of the assembly line?

Disgruntled,
BamaVol

The response, all the way from India:

I understand from your email that you wish to know status of your
order. I apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused; I
will be happy to assist you with this request.

I was concerned to read in your letter in regards to the Dells service
and support that made you dissatisfied. By bringing this to our
attention, you provide us with crucial data in our ever-vigilant
efforts to raise our standards.

Please be informed, second day shipment will be applied on the order
once the order has shipped from Dell.

The estimated ship date of order number 488047492 is 1/29/2007. Once
the order is shipped on 1/29/2007 order will be delivered to you as per
your shipping method second day shipment.

I hope this takes care of your concern, please feel free
to contact me for any additional support.

You may receive a survey requesting your feedback on your Dell
experience. Please take a moment of your time to complete this survey
and provide us feedback on how we deliver to your customer needs.

Thank you for choosing Dell.

Respectfully,

Sikinder_S

When I regain my composure, I'm ready for a long unpleasant trans-global conversation with equivalent results.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
......What do you do, scratch it at the end of the assembly line?
ROTF!!! My vote for the best 2007 FT One Liner

MisterNice
Old Jan 20, 2007, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I had a similar experience with Dell, when you have your trans global conversation expect a lot of " No Problem I will take care of this right now" but nothings really gonna happen.
I hate to say it but I had to get downright nasty to get my situation corrected and it still took a month.

Good Luck
Old Jan 20, 2007, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT; National Exec
Buy from Apple

I recently just bought my first Apple Macbook and I've been so happy with it, it makes me mad I didn't switch over a long time ago. Matter of fact, Apple is so good I selected 2 day shipping and I got it the next day (all the way from China-USA). Also all the programs that I use on a reg. basis still works on a Mac (MS Office, Webex, Live Meeting, Adobe, etc).
Old Jan 20, 2007, 6:05 pm

I guess when Apple sells a scratch and dent, they backdate the date of the dent.

-David
Old Jan 20, 2007, 8:55 pm

Programs: United GS, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AC
I ordered a laptop from the Dell outlet. It was listed as a 'scratch and dent' model. I get my confirmation email. It will be ready for shipment in 10 days! ...?
I hate Dell too! But to be fair to them, they probably "remanufacture" computers that have been returned, and that's probably what they need to do to yours. Maybe it got dented/scratched on the way to another customer, who returned it, and it needs to be taken apart and put back together to make sure it is OK.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 9:05 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Friends don't let friends buy Dell.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Friends don't let friends buy Dell.
What do they let them buy?
Old Jan 20, 2007, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Scratch and dent machines ALSO come off their production lines in Malaysia.

It is probably a half finished notebook with no optical drives, no memory and no CPU, so it goes through the same process of assembly as a normal machine:

Production in Malaysia
Placed in special pallets
Flown to TX
Software installation
Placed in a packaging line (aka shoving it in a box).

A scratch and dent machine is not always something that is sitting in a warehouse in Austin.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:59 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by phlflyer927
What do they let them buy?
A ThinkPad!
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:25 am

Q When do Dell Outlet purchases ship?
A Systems are typically scheduled to ship within 24 hours of approval and verification of order payment. Occasionally, however, factory delays or issues with payment verification could delay order shipments.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...&~section=main
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:35 am

I honestly don't understand all the grief Dell gets. I've had two Dell laptops, a PDA and a desktop over the last 5 years, and my company has standardized on them (with a brief excursion into Thinkpads, but we came back). New equipment virtually always arrives well before the "scheduled" date, both for my company and my wife's.

While I've certainly had to have my laptops serviced (I do, after all, travel with them and often use them in sub-optimal conditions), I've never had a service issue that wasn't resolved within 48 hours. I've had 2 hard drives, a keyboard, a video card, a heatsink/fan assembly and a palm rest/bezel replaced. I was always given the option of doing it myself or having a tech sent on-site.

For both hard drives, I received significantly larger replacements; a 30GB for the first laptop's 20GB, and an 80GB for the 2nd laptop's 60GB.

I'm sure that the vast majority of Dell's customers get similar service. It's unfortunate that a couple of bad experiences can attract so much attention . . .
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:52 am

Programs: SPG gold; otherwise just base in everything so far, but learning!
Never again

I do not plan on ever purchasing another Dell and if someone asks what kind of computer to buy, the first thing out of my mouth is "just don't buy a Dell." I have actually had little positive experience with them and I do not know anyone who has. The only comments I've heard from those with Dell is that they will never again buy from them.

I switched over to Apple and cannot be happier. Before that, I had a Thinkpad and loved it (not sure I would buy a Lenovo Thinkpad, though...)

A colleague of mine had the "thin and light" Dell (M600, maybe) a few years ago. A design flaw made the screen scratch and crease. Luckily, he had purchased the on site warranty and they had to send a technician to replace the screen it every few months. Only after the third time or so did they admit there was a design flaw. Until then, they maintained nothing was wrong.

From the Dell outlet, the last time I checked, they don't let you customize the computer, so how would it be siting without a hard drive, optical drive, etc.? And if it is not all assembled, why offer it for sale?

As an aside, I've always found that I get stuff almost as fast with standard shipping. When I ordered from Apple in June, my first items arrive the very next morning (standard shipping). My custom built MacBook from China arrived 6 days after the order was placed.

The last two hospitals I have worked at have standardized to IBM/Lenovo.

fuzz
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:56 am

Programs: SPG gold; otherwise just base in everything so far, but learning!
What do you do, scratch it at the end of the assembly line?
Maybe you can have them put in a bigger scratch so you get a bigger discount...

Sorry, I know it is frustrating. Let us know what happens, ultimately. Maybe you should just cancel it and buy elswhere...

I love how the representatives from overseas (whether the Philippines or India, etc.) are so obviously reading from a script!

fuzz
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:30 am

Thats pretty much Dell ...

World class marketing
inconsitent products
crap support

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.