Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Should "spyware" scan programs really slowwwwww down your computer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should "spyware" scan programs really slowwwwww down your computer?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2006, 7:09 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Glen:

This information concerning syware was moved to OMNI:

Microsoft will offer anti-spyware app

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...11#post6705211

---

Also, if you are still using Ie6, I would think about upgrading to IE7 as soon as possible, as noted here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...e7#post6590048

Some additional information was also posted here in a new thread in Travel Tech, since the earlier thread was locked, but it also can now apparently be found over in OMNI:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...&highlight=ie7

And, btw, I do not like the Trend Micro tool at all.

The free Windows defender antispyware, and occassional scans with spybot S&D and/or adaware, all free, have been great for me and almost everyone I know.

And, FWIW while your at it, you may also want to take a look at "blink" as well:

Blink Personal Edition launched FREE of charge

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ighlight=blink

Hope this helps,

Mark
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ScottC
Sadly there isn't really one. So I just use Outlook for contacts/calendar and thunderbird for email.
So if I do that, can I sync both to my E61?
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:32 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by doc
And, btw, I do not like the Trend Micro tool at all.
I'm curious as to why. Granted, the home version does come at a price, however, I can assure you that their officescan and anti-spyware products at the enterprise level are top notch. The home version gets the same quick updates and relatively good technical support and they are pretty quick on new patterns. As I mentioned, I've had pretty good luck with the enterprise version, albeit merely at a fortune 250 with 400+ locations and something on the order of 30k PCs across 6 continents (and you basically get the same engine in the home version without the nifty remote/central management features).

As always, YMMV.

The free Windows defender antispyware, and occassional scans with spybot S&D and/or adaware, all free, have been great for me and almost everyone I know.
The cost of the MS product and the others are hard to ignore. However, I'd suggest to you that letting the same people who brought you windows (the OS which is basically responsible for allowing virii and spyware to proliferate in the first place) and who brought you IE (ditto) might not be in one's best interests from a technical and/or risk management standpoint.

As above, YMMV.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:03 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Thanks ScottC - good advice, and a most helpful explanation!

cpx - I'm sure you are 100% correct. Sadly Troggs like me will always use Outlook Express, Windows and PCs as we simply do not have a clue about anything else. (Nor want to experiment!) I tired Firefox for 2 days and hated it. That's just me.

Posts like that to Jewish folks in the Religious forum suggesting they try out Hinduism, Muslim-ism and Catholicism (or v.v.) as they are "better" are equally unlikely to win any converts either I'd guess.

We are what we are, and within those parameters just want to do as good as we can with the system we choose.

Glen
Take heart, Glen. I've been running XP Home/IE6 on PC for nearly 5 years with NIS, Spybot S&D, and Lavasoft Adaware (the free version) with nary a virus, worm, spyware or adware problem.

Have XP Pro/IE6 on laptop with NIS, Spybot, Lavasoft and Spyware Blaster, and have had no infestations there either.

So it is possible, if you're sensible about your email and web activities and keep everything patched and up-to-date.

(Not that I would actually recommend Symantec products as they tend to be memory hogs, but they came preinstalled on my machines and I've been too lazy to make a change.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.