FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Should "spyware" scan programs really slowwwwww down your computer? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/625425-should-spyware-scan-programs-really-slowwwwww-down-your-computer.html)

ozstamps Nov 15, 2006 3:33 pm

Should "spyware" scan programs really slowwwwww down your computer?

I am not very tech savvy and hope others can bear with the newbie level query. :D

I just downloaded something called "Spyware Doctor" for $40 or whatever.

Gave me the impressive first system scan that said I had 100s of useless things on my system, and suggested I deleted them. So far so good.

And since that time the whole system is just crawwwwwwling.

Even when I type this message into FT the what I am typing "lags" well after the keystrokes are made .. often a full sentence behind.

I removed Norton Pro for the same kind of reasons that it slowed things down too much. Is this common reaction from Spyware removal programs does anyone know?

Is there a less invasive, but effective one out there you savvy folks can recommend? :cool:

Glen

roberto99 Nov 15, 2006 5:14 pm

Your title should read "anti-spyware...."

globetrekker84 Nov 15, 2006 5:17 pm

That is definitely not right then. There should be no lag whatsoever. Part of the problem may be due to the software's architecture, such that everything that you go through - website, Office apps, etc. - are basically filtered through this program. So basically this program has to have a very fast and efficient algorithm to filter out the bad stuff, but I think you downloaded a dud.

As for recommendations, my best (and most expensive) recommendation is to get a non-Windows OS (Mac OS X, Linux, etc.). I got fed up with updating Windows and spending so much time trying to protect it, so I just bought a MacBook Pro. No regrets there. The second best recommendation would be to go here: http://www.download.com/Best-free-se...3.html?tag=hed and try to find one that best suits you. I honestly don't think that there is one great app that can combat spyware.

winkydink Nov 15, 2006 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by globetrekker84
That is definitely not right then. There should be no lag whatsoever. Part of the problem may be due to the software's architecture, such that everything that you go through - website, Office apps, etc. - are basically filtered through this program. So basically this program has to have a very fast and efficient algorithm to filter out the bad stuff, but I think you downloaded a dud.

As for recommendations, my best (and most expensive) recommendation is to get a non-Windows OS (Mac OS X, Linux, etc.). I got fed up with updating Windows and spending so much time trying to protect it, so I just bought a MacBook Pro. No regrets there. The second best recommendation would be to go here: http://www.download.com/Best-free-se...3.html?tag=hed and try to find one that best suits you. I honestly don't think that there is one great app that can combat spyware.

Installing sw updates on the Mac (with even less information than MS gives you as to what they fix) gets old pretty quickly too.

ozstamps Nov 15, 2006 5:26 pm

globetrekker84 - thanks for the helpful input. ^

Sadly I do not want to change from Windows (or to a Mac!) - I know how many tech minded folks prefer both, but I am used to it. :)

I'm just curious if this software should slow things down, or if there might be a better system others here can recommend.

Glen

LuckyStrike Nov 15, 2006 5:27 pm

I use and love webroot spysweeper.

http://www.webroot.com/consumer/products/spysweeper/?WRSID=3f0a8fef4ca656efa62092063b6240e5

tonerman Nov 15, 2006 5:53 pm

I don't know if this even relevant but can you set the anti-spyware to run at certain times like 3am? I think thats how mine works.

ScottC Nov 15, 2006 5:54 pm

"buy a mac" is the response that is getting REALLY REALLY boring.

Glen; what kind of PC is this? Does the PC match the specifications from the vendor? Many anti-spyware apps need as much as 120Mb to run. You could consider turning off some of the realtime scanning features and resorting to a once-a-day scan of your PC instead.

Alternatively, try some of the other scanning apps, my personal pick would be Windows Defender; a free application from Microsoft that gets the job done.

ScottC Nov 15, 2006 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by roberto99
Your title should read "anti-spyware...."

No; cause then it would read: anti-spyware scanning apps, which really wouldn't make sense. ;)

He has a Spyware scan program, makes perfect sense to me...

ClueByFour Nov 15, 2006 7:08 pm

Anything that sits as a shim on disk I/O (and to a lesser extent, on inbound network streams) will eat memory and CPU, although the latter should not be an issue on a modern system. RAM and decent disks should overcome it.

MRKEY Nov 15, 2006 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by ozstamps
I am not very tech savvy and hope others can bear with the newbie level query. :D

I just downloaded something called "Spyware Doctor" for $40 or whatever.

Gave me the impressive first system scan that said I had 100s of useless things on my system, and suggested I deleted them. So far so good.

And since that time the whole system is just crawwwwwwling.

Even when I type this message into FT the what I am typing "lags" well after the keystrokes are made .. often a full sentence behind.

I removed Norton Pro for the same kind of reasons that it slowed things down too much. Is this common reaction from Spyware removal programs does anyone know?

Is there a less invasive, but effective one out there you savvy folks can recommend? :cool:

Glen

Oz....try this freewarware Spybot - Search & Destroy

Overview [link]
Spybot - Search & Destroy detects and removes spyware, a relatively new kind of threat not yet covered by common anti-virus applications. Spyware silently tracks your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile for you that is transmitted without your knowledge to the compilers and sold to advertising companies. If you see new toolbars in your Internet Explorer that you haven't intentionally installed, if your browser crashes inexplicably, or if your home page has been "hijacked" (or changed without your knowledge), your computer is most probably infected with spyware. Even if you don't see the symptoms, your computer may be infected, because more and more spyware is emerging. Spybot-S&D is free, so there's no harm giving it a try to see if something has invaded your computer.

To see a list of threats Spybot-S&D can remove, in the navigation bar at the left click on Support --> Threats. For an introduction to Spybot-S&D, please read the tutorial. If you fear incompatibility with other software you are now using, although we can assure you that there is no dangeryou can review our compatibility overview which lists some software whose compatibility has been analyzed.

Spybot-S&D can also clean usage tracks, an interesting function if you share your computer with other users and don't want them to see what you have been working on. And for professional users, Spybot-S&D allows you to fix some registry inconsistencies and extended reports. A list of all the apllication's features is also available.

ScottC is on the money!
Alternatively, try some of the other scanning apps, my personal pick would be Windows Defender; a free application from Microsoft that gets the job done.

ozstamps Nov 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by ClueByFour

Anything that sits as a shim on disk I/O (and to a lesser extent, on inbound network streams) will eat memory and CPU, although the latter should not be an issue on a modern system. RAM and decent disks should overcome it.

Thanks. I have a quite new system with 1GB RAM, 80 meg HD and fast twin core Pentium processors which I know is not super large compared to what some folks here must use, but I would have thought would handle most common add ons like this fairly effortlessly.

Just curious it bogged down so fast. :mad:

globetrekker84 Nov 15, 2006 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC

It is quite boring and a shameless plug, but eh, it works for me. :)

CPRich Nov 15, 2006 7:22 pm

To answer your question - no, it shouldn't. I have a virtual army of memory-resident spyware/virus/etc. scanning software running on my 2 yr old system and it's fine. Try uninstalling and see if it is better. One of the hundreds of items the software removed may have been important.

Try a reboot in safe mode. Try one of the other scanning programs (Spybot, Defender, etc.) if needed.

Don't just go "buy a Mac". Unless you're one of "them". ;)

And the police use radar detector detectors, so why not anti-spyware scanning programs ;)

ozstamps Nov 15, 2006 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC

Glen; what kind of PC is this? Does the PC match the specifications from the vendor? Many anti-spyware apps need as much as 120Mb to run. You could consider turning off some of the realtime scanning features and resorting to a once-a-day scan of your PC instead.

Sorry Scott I had not seen your post before adding a quick summary of my specs above.

It is just a new vanilla (yawn ;)) Dell system with pretty much top end (for them!) RAM and Intel processors, so I had hoped mainline spyware stuff would work OK with it.

So Windows Defender does the job? I tend to assume FREE and almost useless go hand in hand in these areas so and interested to hear this seems useful.

The other thing I have no idea if this new thing does, is remove ad-ware which I gather is different to spyware? I really am not up with all this stuff except to know it is not good. :D

Sorry for the bog basic questions, but you guys know this stuff backwards, and I do not. :cool:

Glen