Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

YAWFQ: Yet another wifi question - Why won't my laptop see Tmobile?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:43 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

I've had some "issues" of late with my laptop (ThinkPad T30, WindowsXP Pro, using Windows connection mgr. Ditched Access Connections when it was so flaky). This is the oddest one.....

Three times this month this has happened:

1. In Denver Red Carpet Club, the computer could "see" the other wifi networks in range, but didn't ever see/find the Tmobile signal that was right there.

2. At the local Starbucks (yesterday and earlier this month), no Tmobile is seen by my laptop (even though all around me were connecting fine). I go across the street to where I know there is are three open networks and one other paid-kind network; laptop easily sees all four of these and connects seamlessly to one of the open networks (and even though the signal strength is low, it does just fine).

Why has Tmobile gone to Coventry?

Any ideas?
Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:01 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Which WiFi card is in your Thinkpad, Intel or Atheros?
There has been lots of reported unhappiness with the Intel WiFi card.
I bought a X60 a few months ago, and eventually replaced the Intel card with the Atheros card. Much better performance. And Lenovo gives good instructions for openning up a laptop.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Have you tried using the T-Mobile Connection Manager? It's actually quite nice (and you can also connect to the WPA side of T-Mobile, if your hardware supports it) . You can also use it in place of the Windows connector (I used it to connect to my hotel's wireless network last Friday).

Also, be sure that the driver for your Intel card is at the current level. Your manufacturer's driver update site may or may not have it (mine - Sony - was one level behind, and I finally found the current driver on the Intel site). The Intel site takes some work to find the right driver, but once you find it, installation is usually easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.