Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How much is a European SIM card, exactly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much is a European SIM card, exactly?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Capite
I have been *very* happy with the Global Riiing card I bought from Telestial. Not only are most calls made outside the USA very cheap, but usually incoming calls are free. This really extends the time you can use the card!

That card is prepaid, but I think there are others now with slightly higher rates that are post-paid.

I tried buying prepaid local SIM cards before for each country I was in, but it is usually a pain. You can't recharge them unless you pay cash, or online you need a credit card with a mailing address from that very same country. Also, roaming in other countries is just too high.

But also on Telestial, you can buy these local country SIM cards too, before your trip.
The last time I did the math on the Telestial cards I think that when you added it all in the cost wasnt much different than TMobile roaming. I would really recommend that people look at the actual costs. They might have changed but the premium added to the base price of the minutes made them quite costly.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Jul 30, 2006 at 2:42 pm
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
depends

Originally Posted by Capite

I tried buying prepaid local SIM cards before for each country I was in, but it is usually a pain. You can't recharge them unless you pay cash, or online you need a credit card with a mailing address from that very same country. Also, roaming in other countries is just too high.

depends on the country, I reload my french and german sims, from here in the USA with a USA based credit card, no problems
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:48 pm

I just checked the Global Riing card on Telestial. They cite a cost of $0.52 per minute for calls from most countries but the card is sold for a cost of $69 and only has $20 of airtime. So for that initial use you are actually paying a bit over 3 times the stated rate per minute or about $1.70 per minute. That isnt a deal. As you add usage the cost per minute goes down.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 7:03 pm

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
Riiing has been rolled back into United Mobile's main offering. Details here: http://www.united-mobile.com/; you can buy it right off the website. Comparisons and general wisdom on worldwide SIMs here: http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/int/compare.html. Another one, not mentioned in the comparison, is here: http://www.oneroam.co.uk/
Old Jul 30, 2006, 7:19 pm

Programs: United GS, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AC
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
The last time I did the math on the Telestial cards I think that when you added it all in the cost wasnt much different than TMobile roaming. I would really recommend that people look at the actual costs. They might have changed but the premium added to the base price of the minutes made them quite costly.
The big difference for me is that Telestial's Global Riiing/United Mobile give you free incoming calls, in almost every country. Does T-Mobile have a card that gives you that? I guess that would really change the math.

Although the downside for Telestial's United Mobile is that the number is pretty expensive for the caller when you are receiving calls with it.

Last edited by Capite; Jul 30, 2006 at 7:31 pm
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:21 am

Hello,

In Europe, you have several middle-size countries in which local operators can develop, and then make agreements with each other to allow for international communications. It works, though it's more expensive (texting my firned in Hungary from the UK costs more than texting someone in the same country).

In the UK alone, I know of 7 significant nationwide mobile phone operators (0range, Vodaphone, O2, 3, Virgin, T-Mobile, Tesco), and I'm sure there are a few more (OK, at least two of these are "virtual" operators which piggyback on the network of another operator, but still, that's more competition).
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
Data Roaming Charges

Does anyone know of SIM cards in Europe that would include data roaming (e.g., internet browsing using a Blackberry)? All of the SIM cards I have seen so far in my search say data service is not available. There is one card I found that has data, but it is $20/MB which is more than the $15/MB charged by T-Mobile for international data roaming.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by entrada
Does anyone know of SIM cards in Europe that would include data roaming (e.g., internet browsing using a Blackberry)? All of the SIM cards I have seen so far in my search say data service is not available. There is one card I found that has data, but it is $20/MB which is more than the $15/MB charged by T-Mobile for international data roaming.
Could you be more specific about what Europe is? Orange in the UK allows data GPRS and maybe EDGE by now. I dont know about Orange in other countries.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Could you be more specific about what Europe is? Orange in the UK allows data GPRS and maybe EDGE by now. I dont know about Orange in other countries.
I am interested specifically in Croatia. I know that customers in Europe have GRPS and EDGE. What I would like to know if if the SIM cards that can be purchased in Europe also provide the data access through GPRS or EDGE on a pay as you go basis.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Here I can offer experienced advise.

Cingular is the best service to use in the US, it has the most comprehensive service and good rates. It also has Global Roaming that you can subscribe to and get good rates internationally.
Verizon is the second best with good nationwide coverage but large areas that they do not have roaming agreements or you are surcharged. Difficult to use internationally. Roams on Vodafone which has excellent coverage but most expensive... ONLY if your phone will work on their system. Not usually.
Nextel/Sprint good rates for talkers that stay in major metropolitan cities or don't travel far from the interstates. International usage - forget it.
T-Mobile good for people that travel along interstates only. International service is good and rates are ok.

In Ireland:
Meteor = best rates but cannot use outside of Ireland.
O2 = good rates and works in other countries. (best deal)
Vodafone = Expensive
In UK:
Virgin = same coverage as T-Mobile but the best rates. (best deal)
T-Mobile = good coverage, fair rates.
Orange = better coverage, ok rates, good roaming.
O2 = Not the best coverage or rates in UK, but excellent roaming agreements.
Vodafone = Expensive
In Italy:
Wind = best rates and good coverage, will cost you when roaming.
TIM = better coverage and higher rates, my Italian is not so good, hope yours is.
Vodafone = Expensive
In the Eurozone:
Consider going into a Carphone Warehouse and getting their traveler SIM. Good rates in the EU.
Vodafone and T-Mobile are available in the most countries.
Vodafone is EXPENSIVE
When thinking of T-Mobile do not compare it to US counterpart. T-Mobile Europe is good. T-Mobile USA is NOT GOOD!
The best thing to do is buy a SIM card in the country that you are in. They will all run about $10.00USD more or less. They will includes some minutes and incoming calls are free. They will last 12 months from activation with the exception of Vodafone.

Last edited by drbond; Aug 5, 2006 at 8:59 pm
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
United Mobile

Remember if you go this route that your phone number will be based in Liechtenstein and the rates for people to call there are higher.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:30 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, USAIR
Not to threadcrap

Originally Posted by drbond
Cingular is the best service to use in the US, it has the most comprehensive service and good rates. It also has Global Roaming that you can subscribe to and get good rates internationally.
Verizon is the second best with good nationwide coverage but large areas that they do not have roaming agreements or you are surcharged
Consumer Reports in general (and my wife, most vehemently, in particular) would reverse your order of US providers. She travels a great deal and finally got rid of AT&T/Cingular in disgust because in most places in the US she could get only crap signals. She'd be in a conference room during a break when everyone was chattering away on their cells - except her. She'd be the one walking up and down the halls looking for a signal.

She changed over to Verizon and is totally happy.

As always in such matters, YMMV wildly. I once googled up the phrase "X sucks" substituting the various carriers for X and there's plenty of internet venom to go around for everyone.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by phred
Consumer Reports in general (and my wife, most vehemently, in particular) would reverse your order of US providers. She travels a great deal and finally got rid of AT&T/Cingular in disgust because in most places in the US she could get only crap signals. She'd be in a conference room during a break when everyone was chattering away on their cells - except her. She'd be the one walking up and down the halls looking for a signal.

She changed over to Verizon and is totally happy.

As always in such matters, YMMV wildly. I once googled up the phrase "X sucks" substituting the various carriers for X and there's plenty of internet venom to go around for everyone.
Wow, I really agree with you. TMobile and Verizon basically battle it out for top customer service in every survey, everyone else is a also ran. I have a friend that has Cingular and everytime he is with me almost he ends up borrowing my phone Verizon or TMobile phone because he cant use his.

Within the US, no one can touch Verizon although TMobile is close in coverage. Internationally Verizon of course is very limited while TMobile is great and has good rates. Ive never been refered to as a "trucker" before, nor someone who doesnt "travel alot" I have to say.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Ok, here are the facts:
T-Mobile coverage sucks. (PERIOD) unless you are a truck driver. Here is their coverage:
http://www.gsmworld.com/cgi-bin/ni_map.pl?cc=us&net=we
Cingular has excellent coverage, they are weakest in the west especially in the old AT&T coverage areas. Strongest in the middle and south. Here is their coverage:
http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/cel...svl=2182800025
Verizon I never said was bad, just nationwide they are not as good as Cingular. In the West and North East they are stronger (home territory). In the south and middle they have a lot of roaming that they charge you for and no coverage areas. I would give you a link to a map but unfortunately verizon does not provide a nationwide anymore .
I have experience with all due to work. Both have problem CSR's and good CSR's, have screamed at both and hung up on both and loved both. It is all a matter of who they hired and you get that day. For international customer service Cingular is NUMBER 1 no doubt about it. All of the other is debatable depending on where you live.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:00 am

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Ok, here are the facts:
T-Mobile coverage sucks. (PERIOD) unless you are a truck driver.
Not a fact, but an opinion.
Cingular has excellent coverage, they are weakest in the west especially in the old AT&T coverage areas.
Also, an opinion.
Verizon I never said was bad, just nationwide they are not as good as Cingular.
Still not a fact.
In the West and North East they are stronger (home territory). In the south and middle they have a lot of roaming that they charge you for and no coverage areas.
Still looking for a fact. This would seem to be a heavily biased opinion, since my s/o has Verizon and has NEVER been charged for a roaming fee on her nationwide plan.
I have experience with all due to work. Both have problem CSR's and good CSR's, have screamed at both and hung up on both and loved both. It is all a matter of who they hired and you get that day.
All of your opinions are YOUR facts. IE, they are your opinions.
For international customer service Cingular is NUMBER 1 no doubt about it.
Really? Where is this fact listed on the web? What about their international roaming rates compared to T-Mobile? Compared those lately? None of what you stated is fact. All opinion. Put up facts from sources (not maps), and maybe I'll believe you. Most likely not. These are your experiences, and as others who are on FT know, YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.