Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How much is a European SIM card, exactly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much is a European SIM card, exactly?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2006, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
The farther east in Europe you go, the cheaper it gets.
In the UK they give SIMs away for nothing - I once had a dozen sitting in my drawerc- but they make their money on the charges especially for PAYG where the credit "expires" after a while
Old Jun 19, 2006, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Can probably buy foreign SIM cards on ebay as well.. that way, you can market-shop and see what others are paying. Just need to know the network names for where you're going to be.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:09 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
This one won't roam (but of course you can still receive calls from anywhere whilst in the UK) - but if you are in the UK I would recommend MobileWorld:

http://www.talktalkmobile.co.uk/inde...d&page=tariffs

You can buy it from "Carphone Warehouse" - branches in most towns, and many railway stations.

I use it along side by UK phone as I often have to call Asia when on the move in the UK. I think it was GBP10 - and you get that back in airtime when you do your first top up of GBP10. (ie for GBP20 you get GBP20 of airtime and the SIM is free.)

Call to USA: 5p per minute (mobile/land line)

It does use some kind of VOIP. I had problems at first (when the service was first launched - and I was calling SE Asia) but recently its been excellent.

(Note to UK people: this network is based on the T-mobile network. If your phone is locked to T-mobile you can still use this SIM.)
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:57 am

Check out www.moneysavingexpert.com he did a big article on the cheapest way to call while abroad a Liechtenstein sim card that worked out best because of the way they treat international call plans.

Failing that i've got a box of unused www.o2.co.uk pre-pay sim cards that can be registered to talkalot / talkalotmore / original tariffs and they have just announced discounted roaming rates as they operate in a lot of EU countries - I'd happily send you one if your interested just PM me.

The EU have a usefule price comparison site too here

Oh and finally dont forget to check out www.travellingconnect.com and earn FF miles while you talk (it only works while your outside the country your SIM is registered to and wouldnt work on Cing or any of the US networks)

Ian

Last edited by ian_h; Jun 19, 2006 at 2:59 am Reason: to correct Liechtenstein
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:41 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Thank you all for your help.

Today I received information from an ex-pat in Prague who says you cannot buy a stand-alone SIM there. For $49 you can get a phone and SIM. While the SIM will work in your GSM phone, the phone they force you to buy will ONLY accept the Czech SIM. So I guess for $49 you have a one-country SIM. Just proves Kafka rulez! All I want to do is call home, say I'm here, all's well.

Think I shall use the Cingular international roaming, which is about $1.50-$3.00 a min, not much different than what these buy-a-phone-and-a-sim-people want and they have $70 upfront fees and the numbers expire in 9 months yada, yada.

I'm sure I'm missing the whole point here, but for short visits to Europe 3-5 times a year it just doesn't seem worthwhile.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
get a riiing

get a riiing card, now called United Mobil.

There is a good seller on ebay, look for call4t.

their prices are .39 euro a minute, incoming FREE and if you use a USA call back service you can get your per call per minute pricing to about .11$ a minute.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by jimbo99
This one won't roam (but of course you can still receive calls from anywhere whilst in the UK) - but if you are in the UK I would recommend MobileWorld:

http://www.talktalkmobile.co.uk/inde...d&page=tariffs

You can buy it from "Carphone Warehouse" - branches in most towns, and many railway stations.

I use it along side by UK phone as I often have to call Asia when on the move in the UK. I think it was GBP10 - and you get that back in airtime when you do your first top up of GBP10. (ie for GBP20 you get GBP20 of airtime and the SIM is free.)

Call to USA: 5p per minute (mobile/land line)

It does use some kind of VOIP. I had problems at first (when the service was first launched - and I was calling SE Asia) but recently its been excellent.

(Note to UK people: this network is based on the T-mobile network. If your phone is locked to T-mobile you can still use this SIM.)
I second this, just bought one. Twenty pounds credit lasts for days.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another option >

AMEX PLAT holders can get a phone delivered and picked up for free, pay $3/day for rental, receive free incoming calls from anywhere while you're in the UK (you get a 1800 number for people in usa to call you with) and $30 worth of outgoing calls included.

I'm looking forward to this on my upcoming trip.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:31 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Recap: Want to make a few calls in many countries while vacationing 3-5 times a year, have unlocked Blackberry.

Thank you all, have checked out all the links and think I may have forced my old-school mind over the techno barrier.

Looks Like Liechtenstein is the frontrunner, although rates are escalating.

Please critique my current possible plan:

Buy
SIM on eBAy from Call4T for $24.99 USD +$4 shipping.
ECO GSM International - Global GSM SIM card incl. 5 Euro Startbalance.
Europe - TOP Up Voucher 15 Euros available. The € 5 credit is worth about 12 minutes of outgoing calls in all the Area 1 countries.

This card must be used every 6 months to keep number and remaining minutes balance, and I think "use" is making a call or adding minutes. So I could place a very expensive call from US or something to keep it active -- unless I'm trying to use the Cingular 850-whatever service. How to get around this?

Add
Callback number since incoming calls are free. Seems like there will be a 7 cent per minute charge, plus maybe a connection fee. Any reliable company rec?

Add for the folks at home Something like GorillaMobile for family to use to reduce their calls to my Liechtenstein cell number ($1.99 on Cingular) to about 50 cents per minute. Any suggestions?

Disable
Will removing my current Cingular SIM temorarily shut down the account so expensive calls and voicemails are not forwarded to me?
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:47 pm

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
I probably got ripped off and recently paid 40 euros for a French sim card. My old one ,still in the phone, was expired , and would not receive refills. Be careful when you buy refill minutes. make sure they are all voice and not part SMS- there are all different combinations and permutations available, and I ,again, bought SMS time by mistake that I didnt use.
I recently bought a yackiemobile sim card - it seems the most versatile and reasonable rates. forget using your daily mobile phone from the US from cingular - that is a ripoff. you can easily remove the sim card when you go aborad and replace it with a different sim card and the reverse when you get back.
lets all keep reporting our successes and failures !!!!
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:19 am

what is the 7 cents?

Originally Posted by lili
[B]

Add
Callback number since incoming calls are free. Seems like there will be a 7 cent per minute charge, plus maybe a connection fee. Any reliable company rec?
where did you find the 7 cents thing? I think the cheapest rate to the Lichtenstein number is callbackworld, and it is 11 cents.

but, you don't pay any fees for the card to receive in one of the free countries.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Use your US phone for emergencies only. Do not switch phone on all the time but rather just turn it on once in a while to check for messages.

Get another phone in Europe that is not locked. Get local SIM card per country. Remember to bring passport when purchasing SIM cards.

Change SIM card as often as you travel to different countries. But do remember that most prepaid SIMs have expiry dates if you don't use them within a certain time.
This works very well for us. We bought a phone in Vietnam, and top off the minutes whenever we are there. They say they expire, but so far that hasn't actually happened. Then, when we were in London, I simply took the phone to a store and got another SIM for that area, and bought minutes somewhere else. I didn't end up using them, but it was nice to know we had access in an emergency. Also, I felt free to call the US and know how much I was spending, since I'd paid up front.

I plan to take the phone to Australia, too, and see if I can get a new card and buy minutes there.

Kate
Kate
Old Jul 2, 2006, 2:02 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nmenaker
where did you find the 7 cents thing? I think the cheapest rate to the Lichtenstein number is callbackworld, and it is 11 cents.

but, you don't pay any fees for the card to receive in one of the free countries.
Sorry, I was confusing the rates. I'm totally confused anyway. Have been reading that United Mobile etc. actually use callback numbers and thus a callback service won't work with (some of) them. Unless, of course, you carry two phones and apply magic and sprinkle one of them with eye of newt.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 6:16 pm

www.prepaidgsm.net

Site that covers what's available worldwide, including costs, etc. etc.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by lili
Have been reading that United Mobile etc. actually use callback numbers and thus a callback service won't work with (some of) them. Unless, of course, you carry two phones and apply magic and sprinkle one of them with eye of newt.
uh, what?

UM works great with callback, rates to LH phones are about .11$ a minute in about 80 countries in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.