AA FA's go wireless on-board

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2006, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
AA FA's go wireless on-board

I guess the FA's don't want us to have cell phones "for our safety and security", but it's OK for them to be wireless.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/...ss/trshark.php

By mid-June, according to American Airlines, its more than 2,200 daily domestic and international flights will be equipped with wireless hand-held devices to enable flight attendants to process major credit and debit cards. The same touch-screen gadget will also enable flight attendants to easily keep track of cash purchases.
Old May 11, 2006, 6:52 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
I don't buy into your premise.

I would assume that the wireless devices used by the FAs will be FAA approved for use in-flight. Other wireless devices that you'd carry on aren't necessarily.

And don't start equating these to cell phones...
Old May 11, 2006, 7:16 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
It is extremely unlikely that either device type will interfere aircraft navigation and communication electronics.

I welcome these wireless devices for I truly hate to use cash for almost anything.
Old May 11, 2006, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by pdhenry
I don't buy into your premise.

I would assume that the wireless devices used by the FAs will be FAA approved for use in-flight. Other wireless devices that you'd carry on aren't necessarily.

And don't start equating these to cell phones...
Well the FAA has already approved cell phones on an AA test flight equipped with the special pico-cell on board. So yes, I am absolutely equating these wireless devices with cell phones, speaking as a wireless engineer.

If you want to debate the social issues surrounding cell phones, take it to Omni. This is Travel Technology.
Old May 11, 2006, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
People's Express took my credit card as payment back in the early '80. They didn't need no stinkin' wireless terminal. Just a big hunk of plastic and metal, some carbon paper, and two good swipes.

And they kept track of cash with the big cash register/drawer. They were ahead of their time.
Old May 11, 2006, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA has accepted credit cards for years now. They swipe them all, and the terminal is downloaded when they are on the ground. Of course, the article posted doesn't mention whether or not these new AA terminals work with wireless when in flight, or whether they upload their info when they land...
Old May 11, 2006, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
BA has accepted credit cards for years now. They swipe them all, and the terminal is downloaded when they are on the ground. Of course, the article posted doesn't mention whether or not these new AA terminals work with wireless when in flight, or whether they upload their info when they land...
Best of all, the plane didn't fall out of the sky when I used my Amex to pay for my duty free on my last BA flight.
Old May 11, 2006, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Can you imagine anything worse than this headline: "AA flight crashed due to purchase of $4 snack box"

I KNEW the beef jerky would kill someone!!!!!!!!
Old May 13, 2006, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
Well the FAA has already approved cell phones on an AA test flight equipped with the special pico-cell on board. So yes, I am absolutely equating these wireless devices with cell phones, speaking as a wireless engineer.

I'm certain you are probably 100% correct. The difference between what you have and what they have is a piece of paper somewhere. They have one, you don't. That's what makes theirs legit and yours not.
Old May 14, 2006, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not bought anything while aloft for years. It seems like a big waste-o-money for AA.

MisterNice
Old May 14, 2006, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by MisterNice
I have not bought anything while aloft for years. It seems like a big waste-o-money for AA.

MisterNice
Actually, I've been willing to pony up $3 for a snack box on the SDF-ORD flights just because the variety is good and it means I don't have to shop for or lug a small meal on board with me.

I already occasionally use my credit card to buy duty free on international flights too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.