Wiki Posts
Search

Non-repetitive way to send same email w/ attachments to multiple recipients

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2006, 3:52 am
Original Poster

I have to send multiple emails (each being exactly the same) to dozens of recipients daily. Don't worry I'm not spamming people (I'm just looking to maximize my job prospects and employment choices over the net).

Anyways, I send employment application emails (including 10 attachments detailing my particulars) on a very regular basis.

I find it tiresome and tedious to manually attach 10 files and send off individual emails to employers on a 1 by 1 basis.

I know it looks bad to send 1 email to all employers as it's obvious by looking at the BBC field. Anyone who knows a thing or two about web-based emails will know I've sent a lazy man's application.

So what to do?

Is there a plugin (with Gmail, specifically) that opens the door to a more easier, less repetitive way to send 1 email to multiple recipients without having to use your own email in the recipient box (and then all your employer's emails in the BCC (Blind Copy) box?

It works (no doubt), but some employers may dismiss your application because it shows you as unwilling/lazy because you coudn't send them a personalized email.

Perhaps, there is a lesser known web-based email service that has a better way?

Or maybe a tip or trick that's applicable to Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail?

What to do, what to do?
Old May 9, 2006, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
The BCC field is invisible to recipients. That's why it's called "blind carbon copy".
Old May 9, 2006, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by persianpower

What to do, what to do?
One option would be to send the full e-mail including all attachments to yourself. Once it is in your inbox, you click on 'forward', enter in the name of the recipient, and remove the 'Re:' in the title line.

You can then also take the opportunity to tailor your application to each person.

Curious to know what the 10 attachements would be?

L/M/E FF
Old May 9, 2006, 7:07 am

Programs: NW Platinum, Marriott Silver
My friend, if you're sending 10 attachements in what amounts to a cold-call resume/job application...you're not going to get the job. You're going to get a closer look at the Recycle Bin.

Also, AlanW is correct...if you're using the BCC field, you can't see who else is getting the message. Try it yourself...send the email to yourself (at one account) and BCC yourself (at a different account). Now go examine the message source...you won't see the 2 email addresses, just the 1.

Last edited by H2O_Goalie; May 9, 2006 at 7:15 am
Old May 9, 2006, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smells like spam to me.
Old May 9, 2006, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
One option would be to send the full e-mail including all attachments to yourself. Once it is in your inbox, you click on 'forward', enter in the name of the recipient, and remove the 'Re:' in the title line.

You can then also take the opportunity to tailor your application to each person.

Curious to know what the 10 attachements would be?

L/M/E FF
You could also "save as draft," and then send each one individually. I'm curious as well why there's 10 attachments. I only have a cover letter and CV. I wouldn't open 10 attachments from a job seeker.
Old May 9, 2006, 5:38 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
May not work with Gmail, but you can mailmerge in Word to e-mail.

10 attachments wouldn't even get past our firewall, you need to rethink that.
Old May 13, 2006, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cordelli
May not work with Gmail, but you can mailmerge in Word to e-mail.

10 attachments wouldn't even get past our firewall, you need to rethink that.
Mailmerge is what comes to mind for me too. I believe you can do POP/IMAP & SMTP w/ GMail so Mailmerge w/ Word & Outlook would work.

I've never seen a SMTP gateway limit message attachments by count, just be size. I tend to use a magic number somewhere between 7MB and 9MB for new messaging installs for aggregate message size. 10 small attachments would get through no problem - 1MB.
Old May 14, 2006, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Smells like spam to me.
Try googling "email bomb"
Old May 15, 2006, 5:56 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Word + Outlook mail merge should get you what you need.
IIRC, there were PHP based solutions out there as well. Don't remember any off the top.
Old May 15, 2006, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
Not Spam?

What you describe is the precise definition of Spam.

spam n.
Unsolicited e-mail, often of a commercial nature, sent indiscriminately to multiple mailing lists, individuals, or newsgroups; junk e-mail.

IMO, not a great first impression to a prospective employer. I doubt it will even get past the email filter, but if it does I will bet it never gets read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.