Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dropped Cell In Coffee Can I Revive It?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2006, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Dropped Cell In Coffee Can I Revive It?

Dropped the phone in my coffee,it did not work at all now is working but acting strange.Is it save-able anything I can do to get it working like pre-dunk?Its a Motorola.Thanks
Old May 3, 2006, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
What I learned from EEs (including my dad)... first thing you do after electronics are dunked into liquid is to REMOVE THE BATTERY, then let it dry COMPLETELY.

Your phone might be toast. Best thing to do is to let it dry for at least 48 hours, then turn it on (not before). I'm betting the coffee residue will have created shorts.
Old May 3, 2006, 12:37 am

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
I spilled orange soda on mine (SamSung) and it never recovered.

Steve
Old May 3, 2006, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Pour some decaf on it, quick!
Old May 3, 2006, 6:10 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
It may be too late now, but I'd rinse it in warm water to try to get the coffee residue off---black coffee shouldn't be too much of a problem, but cream and particularly sugar would be killers.
Old May 3, 2006, 7:11 am

Once I thought it would be a good idea to try to dry a dunked phone in the microwave.

Don't do that.
Old May 3, 2006, 8:40 am

Buy some distilled water and redunk the phone in it and swish it around for a bit. Then let it dry. Sometimes it's not getting wet that ruins things its the crap left over when it dries.
Old May 3, 2006, 8:54 am

I'm thinking maybe the coffee oils might be a problem. Ugh...what a mess. When I sold these buggers, I had people drop them in everything from toilets to food, but I don't recall anyone dropping one into coffee.
Old May 3, 2006, 8:58 am

Programs: LH and BA
EIther lets it dry and even blowdry it... or pour alcohol 90% over it. Teh alcohol will bind with hte water and evaporate quicker. Also it doens corrode that easily.
Old May 3, 2006, 9:02 am
Community Director Emerita

See this relevant thread, I just washed my son's cell phone.
Old May 3, 2006, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions,after attempting to pry open the back of the phone with a screwdriver to get at the battery the phone actually started to perform better,only problem I have now is that it makes no audible ring and the menu is slightly messed up but I can make and receive calls and voice mail works.I did dry it out
Old May 3, 2006, 10:30 am

I dropped my Samsung in 6 feet of water at the lake and took the battery out rolled it up in a sock and put it in the dryer on low heat for an hour
worked flawlesly after that
Old May 3, 2006, 11:10 am

I ran mine through the wash cycle two years ago and it still works.

I wouldn't recommend any further dunkings in anything, but once you get it apart, gently wipe all the buttons/contacts with alcohol on a cloth or swab, and then let it dry out for at least 48 hours before putting the battery back in. If you really HAVE to use it in the meanwhile, get the battery back out asap until it is really dried out thoroughly -- any kind of moisture inside it will cause corrosion very quickly.
Old May 3, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: UA General Member
I dropped my RAZR in my dog's water bowl. It took about a month to completely dry out, but once it did, it all worked fine.
Old May 3, 2006, 9:26 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by roundtheworld
EIther lets it dry and even blowdry it... or pour alcohol 90% over it. Teh alcohol will bind with hte water and evaporate quicker. Also it doens corrode that easily.
Best suggestion so far.

Many circuit boards are dunked in isopropanol or ethanol and dried out before being coated with Conformal Coating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.