FCC accepts bid for WiFi airplane auction

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ScottC
Verizon isn't going to be able to walk into a 747 and start dropping boxes of equipment where they want. To get the equipment and certifications for their kit they are going to need Boeing. Plus anyone that wins the bid is going to want to ensure the customer (read: the airline) also gets access to the satellite portion of the network, which Boeing owns.
Two points. 1. Verizon already has access to Boeing planes with their Airphone service. 2. Boeing Connexion is an entirely different division from Boeing airplanes. They are different for two reasons. One, they are installed in Airbus planes too. Two, they will want to sell themselves to another company someday. That is the only way they will work with Verizon. If Verizon decides to buy them.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Originally Posted by ScottC
Verizon isn't going to be able to walk into a 747 and start dropping boxes of equipment where they want. To get the equipment and certifications for their kit they are going to need Boeing. Plus anyone that wins the bid is going to want to ensure the customer (read: the airline) also gets access to the satellite portion of the network, which Boeing owns.

I'm sure Boeing has this all worked out.
I think "Connexion by Boeing" is a totally separate business from the Boeing installation and maintentance business. But remember also that many airlines use totally independent maintenance and repair vendors, who are not affiliated with the aircraft manufacturers.

The air-to-ground frequencies in this auction would be used instead of the satellite frequencies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.