USA t-mobile user going to Cozumel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2006, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."

...for a 4 day scuba vacation...

will my GSM Sony Ericsson T610 phone work there? is there a Mexico service plan I should add so that I get decent pricing while there?

Yes I understand the phone won't work under water.

Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:10 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
This Map shows high quality coverage over most of the island of Cozumel (the part with real roads, at least) on GSM 1900 (the same band as you use in the US). But it's $1.49 per minute, so factor that into your plans.

Telefonica Moviles Mexico serves Cozumel. Telcel Mexico also has a roaming agreement with T-Mobile but it looks like they don't have coverage over the majority of the island.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:14 am
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
T-Mobile has a plan for Mexico, but I don't know if you can turn it on and off for 4 days. If your planning on making a lot of calls I'd check into it. Do you have your international calling turned on? If not you can do that on the net. Have fun.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:45 am

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
The Mexico plan is only for calling from the US to Mexico. There is nothing that will discount calls made while in Mexico.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:49 am
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Dudster
The Mexico plan is only for calling from the US to Mexico. There is nothing that will discount calls made while in Mexico.
You're right, I forgot. I wish T-Mobile would have a plan. Last month DH had a $600 bill from China. (He left his Chinese phone home by mistake)
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:32 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
If you are on a PREPAID TMO plan you cannot make any calls that originate while outside of the USA. Supposedly this ability will be arriving some day in the future.

Postpaid/contract TMO CAN make such calls, though.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:52 am

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
Can't you just buy a SIM card in Mexico which would be cheaper than the $1.49/minute charge. I made the mistake last summer when I wastravelling in Europe, Asia and Africa and using my T mobile to make calls back to home in US. I had an ugly shock to note that my calls were up to $4 minute for some calls. Entirely my own fault for not doing my homework prior to leaving on this trip.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 4:07 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If going the sim card route, your phone needs to be unlocked if it's not already, or you need to buy an unlocked one (like $60 or so for a low end model)
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:44 pm

Programs: Priority Club (Platinum)
Originally Posted by cordelli
If going the sim card route, your phone needs to be unlocked if it's not already, or you need to buy an unlocked one (like $60 or so for a low end model)
T-Mobile is usually pretty good about giving you the unlock codes if you've been a customer for a few months.

I just emailed customer support or whatever they call it after I had had service for 4 months. (this was with the same phone, the Sony Ericsson T610) A day later or so the unlock code and instructions arrived free of charge. I just told them I was going out of the country and needed to unlock the phone.

Last edited by iaflyer; Apr 4, 2006 at 12:48 pm Reason: Added note that unlocking was free...
Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Question

what do the unlock codes do for me? are you saying my phone won't work in mexico or anywhere else without the unlock code?

here's what they wrote me:

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-mobile for International roaming.

We understand that you will be traveling to Mexico and would like to find out about special Mexico calling/roaming option. There is no special discount for roaming but you pay only $4.99 per month to have a $0.05 per minute rate when calling Mexico from the US. You also mentioned that you would like to unlock your phones. If you could please provide us with either the account password or the full federal tax identification number for verification, we will be more than happy to unlock the phones for you. . All phones sold by T-Mobile are locked for use by T-Mobile SIM cards only. T-Mobile will only provide SIM Unlock Codes for handsets sold by T-Mobile USA. This includes companies acquired by T-Mobile USA (VoiceStream, Aerial, Omnipoint, SOL, Digiph, PCS One, and Powertel). To unlock your handset, you must meet the following criteria that cannot be waived.

* You must have a T-Mobile phone number.
* You must have a contact name and email address
* Your account must have been active for 90 days or have cancelled your T-Mobile service less than 90 days ago.
* We will provide one unlock code per active line every 90 days
* If you recently exchanged your handset or purchased a new device through the handset upgrade program, the handset may be unlocked if you have already had one phone unlocked within the last 90 days.
* Accounts suspended for lost/stolen do not qualify for a SIM Unlock Code.
* No SIM Unlock Codes will be provided within the 14-Day purchase period (residents of California and Amazon.com purchases have a 30-Day purchase period)
* T-Mobile WILL NOT contact your previous carrier or any other carrier to obtain the SIM Unlock Code (i.e. if the phone you have is not T-Mobile-branded, you will need to contact your original carrier to obtain the code).
* T-Mobile handsets not obtained directly from T-Mobile (i.e. eBay, pawnshops, friends, family, etc.) must meet all of these requirements.

Upon meeting these conditions, please respond to this email with the following information:

* Account holders name (required)
* T-Mobile phone number (required)
* IMEI number, press *#06# on handset to get the IMEI (required)
* Account password or last four digits of the account holders social security number (required)
* Your contact number and email address
* Make and model of the phone
* Carriers name on the phone
* A brief reason for the request

The only exception to these requirements is if you paid full price for the handset. If this is the case, you will need to fax us a copy of the sales receipt so that we can help you obtain the unlock code. Please provide us with the information listed above and we will respond with further instructions and the fax number.

Please let us know how we may be of further assistance to you. Our goal is to provide you with World Class Customer Service. Please feel free to visit our support site at http://support.t-mobile.com. The site has quite a lot of information on our devices, as well as online manuals.

If you have any further comments, questions, or concerns please feel free to contact us by email or call 1-800-937-8997 or dial 611 from your handset at anytime. We are in business 24/7 and will be delighted to answer any of your questions. You may also visit our website www.t-mobile.com for any information regarding your account. You may also visit http://www.t-mobile.com/Internationa..._RoamWorldwide to get more information about roaming.

Thank you for being a valued T-Mobile customer. We appreciate your business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.