Wiki Posts
Search

Unlock T-Mobile SIM

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:44 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hold everything!

Hold everything!

All of the GSM carriers in the Philippines are on 900 MHz and 1800 MHz, like most of the rest of the world. See: www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_ph.shtml

Unfortunately, the OP's current phone is a Nokia 6010 that only uses 850 MHz and 1900 MHz. This phone will NOT work in most of the rest of the world even if it is unlocked and with a local sim. See: http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6010/...feat:1,00.html

An unlocked phone that does use 900 and/or 1800 MHz is easy to find and purchase on Ebay or other sources.

It will certainly be easy to purchase, new or used in the Philippines, too. Try Jose's Phone Kiosk. There will be many to choose from.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by mbreuer
The search would also turn up the fact that T-Mobile will unlock ANY T-Mobile handset for the asking if you've had an account with them for at least 90 days.
This is true even if it's a prepaid phone. The only additional requirement for a prepaid is that you must have added money to the account within the past 30 days.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:41 pm

Successful unlocking of prepaid phone < 30 days

We were able to get T-Mobile to unlock both my wife and my Motorola RAZR's within a week of purchase, just in time for our Italy trip.

The conditions that we met were:
1. Paid full retail price for the phones ($249)
2. Added pre-paid time to each phone within 30 days. We purchased the $100 card along with each phone, and it seemed like the best value since it gives you 1 year usage + "gold" level, meaning bonus minutes for future recharges.

It was as simple as calling the CS desk, advising that we were traveling internationally the following week, and faxing a receipt showing we paid full retail price.

Within 3 days, we received a "T-Mobile SIM Unlock Notification" email with instructions to the effect of inserting a non T-mobile SIM card and, when prompted, entering the unlock code provided in the email.

NB: for some reason the unlock process did not work with a Tracfone SIM; needs to be a non-Tracfone SIM (i.e. ATT, Cingular, etc).

All in all, the process was fairly straightforward, and I commend T-mobile for providing this service.

Last edited by ntamayo; Apr 6, 2006 at 2:36 pm
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:30 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Email is even easier. I just got an unlock code by emailing to [email protected]
Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:29 pm

International roaming

Originally Posted by ntamayo
We were able to get T-Mobile to unlock both my wife and my Motorola RAZR's within a week of purchase, just in time for our Italy trip.

All in all, the process was fairly straightforward, and I commend T-mobile for providing this service.
Don't forget to make sure you ask them also for 'international roaming'....it is free but not automatically set up. If you don't and you decide to use your T-mobile account in Italy, it won't work...but other prepaids of course will.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
I got my T Mobile phone unlocked so I could take it to Russia. T Mobile emailed me the codes and I promptly forgot to ever unlock the phone upon landing in Moscow. I just popped my MTC SIM card in and the phone worked flawlessly (GPRS, SMS, etc.) in Russia and Ukraine. I have a very simple but sturdy Motorola V166. Apparently, some phones don't need to be unlocked at all? If not, I'm sure not complaining!
Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by ntamayo

1. Paid full retail price for the phones ($249)
2. Added pre-paid time to each phone within 30 days. We purchased the $100 card along with each phone, and it seemed like the best value since it gives you 1 year usage + "gold" level, meaning bonus minutes for future recharges.

It was as simple as calling the CS desk, advising that we were traveling internationally the following week, and faxing a receipt showing we paid full retail price.

Within 3 days, we received a "T-Mobile SIM Unlock Notification" email with instructions to the effect of inserting a non T-mobile SIM card and, when prompted, entering the unlock code provided in the email.

NB: for some reason the unlock process did not work with a Tracfone SIM; needs to be a non-Tracfone SIM (i.e. ATT, Cingular, etc).

prepaid service my be different
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:36 pm

My experience was referring to the prepaid service (T-mobile To Go).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.