Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Treo 600 vs 700

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2006, 3:11 pm

I've had the Treo 600 and am currently using the Treo 650. II really love the Treo 650, I bought it unlocked from Palm and I love taking it with me on trips overseas because I can just buy a SIM card and add prepaid minutes. I also enjoy the new bluetooh feature that I can sync or use it as a modem with my PowerBook and can use my Jabra BT650 bluetooth headset. I feel that the Treo 650 are faster AND the new layout of the keys are better than before. I dont think I will ever get the Treo 700w since i'm an apple user.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by lintemut
I have used Windows Mobile devices,but not specifically the 700w, and the the Treo650. Hands down the 650 is a better phone. The phone is very well integrated with contacts and has a call log that makes finding previous callers, that may not be in your Contacts list, a breeze. I also subscribe to the data service and the web is very useable on Verizon. I get my company email as well as my private email on my 650.

PalmOS optimzied the handheld calendar and it works very on the 650. There are over 10,000 3rd party applications made for PalmOS and 100s optimized specifically for the 650.

Using the 650 applications is very intuitive with one handed operation is possible with the Phone, Calendar, Contacts, Camera, and most of the other built-in applications.

I highly recommend the 650.
Thanks for the advise. But does the 650 get the EVDO stuff?

Anyone know anything about the Motorola Q?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by carbonaddict
I am waiting tobuy the 700 as soon as it becomes more widely available on the basis that it has inbuilt wi-fi which the 650 doesnt.
You may be waiting a long time - the 700 does not have buillt-in wifi.

You can buy a $100 SD card that consumes your only available memory slot (no, it has no onboard memory) and sticks an inch out of the top of the phone, just begging to be snapped off.
http://www.palm.com/us/products/acce...s/P10952U.html

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 4, 2006 at 4:49 pm
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
I definitely want bluetooth and data. AND I can't wait...well, I can but only until May 1. And Verizon will be my carrier regardless of which phone I get.
Rumor-mongering on treocentral.com has a 700p release date of either 4/30 or 5/31. But it's almost certain to be on Sprint first - Verizon has typically lagged 3-4 months. If you need Verizon, there's only the 650. It's CDMA, same as the 600, so data speeds will be the same, but if you need Bluetooth, the 650 is the only choice.

You can pick up a used 650 for $250, use it until the 700p comes out, and re-sell it for $200 or so. Or even a 600 for $125, suffer using a wired headset for a few months (ack!), until the 700p arrives.

Be prepared to get killed on data costs for Verizon - $45/month for unlimited vs $10 for Sprint.

Thanks for the advise. But does the 650 get the EVDO stuff?
No

I also was tempted by WM5, trying a PPC-6700 for a couple of weeks when it came out. I prefer my 30 month-old 600. It was neat seeing 800kb and 1MB show up from dslreports, but it was a p.i.t.a. to use to do real work. I've only played with the 700w at the airport store, but it didn't thrill me either.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
Rumor-mongering on treocentral.com has a 700p release date of either 4/30 or 5/31. But it's almost certain to be on Sprint first - Verizon has typically lagged 3-4 months. If you need Verizon, there's only the 650. It's CDMA, same as the 600, so data speeds will be the same, but if you need Bluetooth, the 650 is the only choice.

You can pick up a used 650 for $250, use it until the 700p comes out, and re-sell it for $200 or so. Or even a 600 for $125, suffer using a wired headset for a few months (ack!), until the 700p arrives.
Do you still think the 650 would draw that kind of used price after the 700p is out? For that matter, I can get a 700 w now for $299 and try and dump it later. Oh decisions, decisions. By the way, is FlyerTalk as worthless about finding info about flying as these cell phone forums are about picking a cell phone? I have looked at all of them and am more confused than ever.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you still think the 650 would draw that kind of used price after the 700p is out?
Yes. With 600's still at $125-$150 two years after being discontinued, I would expect a 650 to go for $200 upon the release of its replacement.

For that matter, I can get a 700 w now for $299
then get it. With no contract, no strings attached, etc., I don't see them for less than $400. Heck, buy a boatload of them at $299 and resell them on eBay for $400.

By the way, is FlyerTalk as worthless about finding info about flying as these cell phone forums are about picking a cell phone?
With 8,000+ posts, I would hope you have found it useful. I use it every day.

Have you tried http://www.mobiledia.com/buyguide/extended.html
Old Apr 5, 2006, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

then get it. With no contract, no strings attached, etc., I don't see them for less than $400. Heck, buy a boatload of them at $299 and resell them on eBay for $400.
No, it requires a contract...but that isn't a problem since I need new service anyway.
http://www.wirefly.com/specialoffer....&phoneid=23396

With 8,000+ posts, I would hope you have found it useful. I use it every day.
No, I find FT quite useful. But I know how to look. Obviously, I don't know how to look at some of these other forums. But thanks for the link, I will check it out.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Im also considering a GMS Treo 650 but am concerned about the lack of wireless. I now have a Palm T5 and it lets me use WiFi or GPRS/EDGE (TMobile) to sync. But the EDGE sync isnt very fast. Have people found that syncing using EDGE or GPRS with the Treo 650 happens at acceptable speeds? Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Depending upon what you are doing, once you see EVDO running, you may not care about WiFi. I routinely see speeds of almost 400kbps sitting in my office. Sure, that's nothing compared to 802.11, but it's still hustling a lot of data for a tiny 320x320 browser.

Also, the WiFi stuff I've seen on phones have all been significant battery killers.

Strong rumors (ask me no questions, I tell you no lies ) agree with others here that the 700p will be a Sprint release, with roughly 64MB of usable RAM, and the 1.3MP camera like the 700w.

Other strong rumors say that the reason that Palm has been playing the 700p close to the chest is because to get Verizon fully 'on board and excited' they had to give them a full 6 month window of 'shock and awe' of a new device (the 700w) and they are not allowed to steal Verizon's thunder.

Steve
Old Apr 8, 2006, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by sllevin
Depending upon what you are doing, once you see EVDO running, you may not care about WiFi. I routinely see speeds of almost 400kbps sitting in my office. Sure, that's nothing compared to 802.11, but it's still hustling a lot of data for a tiny 320x320 browser.

Also, the WiFi stuff I've seen on phones have all been significant battery killers.

Strong rumors (ask me no questions, I tell you no lies ) agree with others here that the 700p will be a Sprint release, with roughly 64MB of usable RAM, and the 1.3MP camera like the 700w.

Other strong rumors say that the reason that Palm has been playing the 700p close to the chest is because to get Verizon fully 'on board and excited' they had to give them a full 6 month window of 'shock and awe' of a new device (the 700w) and they are not allowed to steal Verizon's thunder.

Steve
Except Im considering a GSM Treo. I currently have a 900 minute a month Verizon account. I did considered checking to see what it would cost for a PDA data and airtime minutes package at Verizon and I cant even tell from their web page. But I would probably still prefer the GSM version. It took an hour to sync my Palm T5 over EDGE last night although Im sure I can cut that a lot by not syncing a lot of the things I did sync in the test.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I did considered checking to see what it would cost for a PDA data and airtime minutes package at Verizon and I cant even tell from their web page.
PDA/Smartphone (Please select one.)
Pay Per KB $0.00 ($0.015/KB or approx. $15/MB)
10MB of Data Usage $24.99/month
Unlimited Data Usage $44.99/month
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:52 am

PDA/Smartphone (Please select one.)
Pay Per KB $0.00 ($0.015/KB or approx. $15/MB)
10MB of Data Usage $24.99/month
Unlimited Data Usage $44.99/month

Hmm, they charge less there than they do here. In any case I had seen that I couldnt find data/voice bundles but I went back and finally found them. $79 for unlimited data and 450 minutes. I'll consider that but I think I really want a GSM version. I will have to noodle on that some more. Thanks for pointing out the price.

Im meeting with someone in our IT department later in the week to talk about directly syncing to our server. That may be the solution since I suspect it is faster than winding around to my desktop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.