Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Are ethernet cables the same world-wide?

Are ethernet cables the same world-wide?

Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by gt_croz
Male to Male? This sounds like OMNI material

No worries. The category of the cable just determines the number of twists per meter. The more twists, the more the noise cancellation, the better the signal strength. You can use anything from Cat 3 to Cat 6 and have no worries at all.

RJ45 is the type of connector. It's like a fat phone plug - 8 wires. As long as the 8 wires are in the same order on both ends of the cable than it is a standard ethernet cable.

Ethernet cables are hot-swappable - no need to shut down network equipment. You may however need to reload things at a software level, but no need to shut anything off physically. The order in which you connect the cable matters not.
Thanks for the info, gt_croz.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
You should be okay just as long as you're not going to Antarctica or Australia.
The bits run backwards there, just like the water down the drain.
Fortunately, I still have a couple patch cables hanging around from my trip down there a few years ago. Make me an offer and they're yours...
I'll keep that in mind if I ever head down south.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA MM, DL DM
Originally Posted by Norri
Chances are you will not need a telephone adapter, normally the wall sockets can be different country to country, but if you unplug the cable at the 'phone end it "should" plug directly into your laptop
A lot of hotel phones will also have a data port that you can plug into even if the phone is hard wired and plugged into a non-standard jack.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.