Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free TaxCut 2005 in the mail

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2005, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
taxcut

is always free, at least one has always been able to download the standard edition online for free.

Works if you have really simple taxes, don't expect a quicken like turbotax interface or interview.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've used TaCut for at least 6 years now and have no complaints. Last year I sat down with my W-2's and it imported all my 2003 data, imported my 1099's from Fidelity, and I had a complete, itemized return with mulitple Schedule D's and 4 state returns in about 90 minutes.

I also have to create comperable returns as if I hadn't traveled and paid taxes in mulitple states so my company reimburses me for the difference - that took about 5 minutes changing my W2 data.

I created a draft of my 2005 returns, using paycheck stubs and on-line broker data, in about 30 minutes yesterday to see what I'm going to owe (ouch).

Federal return, state return, e-filing, DeductionPro to document and value my charitable deductions, free copies of SystemWorks 2006, NAV 2006, and MS Money 2006 - I'm OK spending $25 for it.

Originally Posted by the_traveler
I, personally, would not use either TurboTax or TaxCut! As an IRS auditor for over 8 years , I have found that many of the taxpayers have used either TurboTax or TaxCut to prepare their returns, and there were many mistakes on their return caused by the program(s).

On the IRS website, there are now (in the past few years) many companies that allow you to prepare and efile your returns FREE! I have used many of them (for family and friends), and have found most to be very user friendly and easy to use. (And correct too!)
Aren't flavors of TurboTax and TaxCut both offered on the IRS website?

Looking at http://tax-software-review.toptenreviews.com/# , most of the on-line only filers finished way behing TurboTax and TaxCut in terms of capabilities.

Last edited by CPRich; Dec 26, 2005 at 9:06 am
Old Dec 26, 2005, 2:29 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by CPRich
Aren't flavors of TurboTax and TaxCut both offered on the IRS website?
I believe there are, but for the "better version", they require you to purchase it. Also, the requirements may be too low for most taxpayers (AGI under $25000, no itemized deductions, etc...), so you may not qualify for the "free" version. (This may also be true for the other offerings.)

I have not checked out their offerings recently, because (as I said) I would not use them. But everybody has their own choice.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by mbreuer
After Turbotax instituted their unacceptable (to me) activiation procedure a few years ago, I switched to TaxAct. It's free, and works well enough for my purposes.
For those of you who missed this story, TurboTax added spyware/registration to its software in order to prevent people from giving the CD to their friends. This had the unfortunate effect of preventing you from moving the program from an old computer to a newer one (or from one computer to another in the same family) as well as annoyances thanks to the buggy registration process. I was forced to call Turbotax and deal with idiot CSRs after my program was unable to register itself online.

As a result - many of us switched to TaxCut and never looked back. The backlash caused Turbotax to downgrade its earnings that year and to remove the offense parts of its program from future releases.

As for the programs themselves, I used Turbo for years but now find TaxCut easier to use, particularly after the first year when prior entries pop up automatically for itemized deductions, etc. IME Taxcut Deluxe is consistently priced $10 less than Turbo Deluxe. after many annoying rebates for both. The Deluxe versions usually include one "free" state return (again after rebate) which is enough for most consumers.

From the early adverts, it looks like both programs are +$10 this year, with TaxCut Deluxe @ $30 and Turbo Deluxe @ $40. Savvy shoppers will wait a few weeks as retailers usually throw in free software and or other goodies (after annoying rebate). Last year I bought too soon and missed out on a free jump drive.

Despite the small price hike, TaxCut still gets my ^ ^

P.S. I just received the same CD from TaxCut. Clearly an attempt by TaxCut to sell direct to its customer base and keep 100% of the price rather than splitting it with the retail middleman. Benefit to consumer: no trip to store, no multiple rebate forms except 1 for e-filing (unless you buy additional software). But I am still going to wait and see what bonuses are offered by the retailers before activating the CD.

Last edited by Boraxo; Dec 28, 2005 at 1:57 pm Reason: add postscript
Old Dec 27, 2005, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the_traveler
I believe there are, but for the "better version", they require you to purchase it. Also, the requirements may be too low for most taxpayers (AGI under $25000, no itemized deductions, etc...), so you may not qualify for the "free" version. (This may also be true for the other offerings.)

I have not checked out their offerings recently, because (as I said) I would not use them. But everybody has their own choice.
Hmmm - it seems you're saying you would not use either of the "better versions" because you have seen so many errors, but you recommend the free versions on the IRS website that are "very user friendly and easy to use. (And correct too!)".

I work for the consulting arm of one of the big four accounting firms and they do my taxes for free due to the complexities of out-of-state and long-term travel. Each of the last three years I have pointed out errors in their filings that TaxCut got correct. You're right, everyone has their own choice 0 I'm happy with TaxCut.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
IME Taxcut Deluxe is consistently priced $10 less than Turbo Deluxe. after many annoying rebates for both. The Deluxe versions usually include one "free" state return (again after rebate) which is enough for most consumers.

From the early adverts, it looks like both programs are +$10 this year, with TaxCut Deluxe @ $30 and Turbo Deluxe @ $40. Savvy shoppers will wait a few weeks as retailers usually throw in free software and or other goodies (after annoying rebate). Last year I bought too soon and missed out on a free jump drive.
No need for a rebate on the state return this year - the CD includes all the states and you select one to activate on installation.

And no real need to wait - I got Norton SystemWorks, Norton AntiVirus, DeductionPro and MS Money - all 2006 - free after rebate when I bought TaxCut on Friday. I paid for SystemWorks once in about 2001. I have found free renewals to it, AntiVirus, and AntiSpam every year since - usually with TaxCut. I also have several free versions of Money, although I never really use them.

And as I went through my filing, it seems that more information is carried over this year. All the Tax ID and other information for my W2, child care provider, 1099's, mortgage interest, charitable deductions, etc. are pre-filled just waiting for the numbers.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:28 am

Count me as another TaxCut user...

I've used it for several years. The one time I had a problem was with e-filing (quite a few years ago) -- for some reason, their program didn't allow enough characters in part of the address (!). But, dealing with tech support and a CSR got me a complete refund of the purchase price - they were good to deal with (I dealt with the Kansas City crew; not sure if they're still there or not).

BTW - Target around here sells Deluxe+State for $20 w/o rebate - and they also throw in Deduction Pro. That's a nice bonus that helps with the charitable deductions. So, the differential is actually $20 between the programs.

Last edited by speechguy3; Dec 28, 2005 at 12:29 am Reason: Clarifying the Deluxe is Deluxe+State
Old Dec 28, 2005, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Boraxo
As a result - many of us switched to TaxCut and never looked back.
My thoughts exactly!!! Best wishes, Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.